Alloy Wheels......best way to look after em?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MercedesBent

Car
C200 Sport, CBR 600F 06
Got some nice tidy alloys (from High Low) recently and they look luuurrverly. :D

Wanna keep em that way.

Apart from regular cleaning, and not scuffing them on kerbs etc, what can I do to keep em clean and tidy and stop from oxidising/flaking whatever they do when they deteriorate.

Any thing I can clean em /cpat em with?

Seen this 365 stuff that's a spary (use it on bike) will that help or hinder?

Ta

MB

Wash them once a week with sponge and car shampoo that u would apply to the bodywork - do NOT use any acidic wheel cleaner like Wonder Wheels but the Zymol Wheel Cleaner is supposed to be good (Howard uses that...) but personally I have not.

However, in summer remove brake dust ASAP as the heat will bake it on and u will then end up with several black pitted dots on the alloys' finish. It is also a good idea to get salt/grit off ASAP otherwise that too will corrode the finish. Once ein a while u can also wax ur alloys with normal car wax.

If u get any chips then a least apply some lacquer/nail vanish hardner to prevent corrosion or get some touch up paint stick.

Flash

Treat them like you treat the paint on your car. Use a strong mix of car wash to get any lingering grot off and white spirit or similar to shift tar spots and that nasty yellowish adhesive residue from the pad if you have to.

Never use the harsh wheel cleaners. (the ones which scream: CONTAINS NO HARMFUL ACID!!!! really annoy me. More often than not CONTAINS HARMFUL CAUSTIC!!!)

Waxing them helps a lot. Between washing & rewaxing I can usually just wipe brake dust off with a damp cloth.

Satch said:
Waxing them helps a lot. Between washing & rewaxing I can usually just wipe brake dust off with a damp cloth.

I am no expert, but have always cleaned the wheels exactly the same way as Satch. I hate seeing the horrible brake dust and this is what dictates how often 'she that must be obeyed' washes the car. :D The wheels get polished slightly more regular than the car.

I am interested to read Goldfish's observations.

John

Hi,

Good advice offered here all round from what I can see.

Especially important is what Flash was saying about touching in any scuffs/stone chips ASAP. At this time of year, the salt that is put on the road will get quickly carried onto your wheels and the dreaded oxidisation will set in quicker than you would think. :eek:

Washing your wheels regularly is a must (why do people have the ridiculous idea that you should just slosh whatever is left in a bucket after washing the car itself over them! :rolleyes: )
Rinse thoroughly first, then wash with a solution of warm water and car shampoo.

Waxing them will not only help protect their finish, but will make them easier to clean as well. You can even get spray on waxes for wheels which are quite good as they require very little effort to apply and remove.

Good to see someone caring for their pride and joy - well done. :)

Will

- painful memory to note...... if life takes over and our wheels do happen to get filthy and black....... first spray vigorously with hose then gently - GENTLY sponge the dirt off - myself included and many of my friends have been guilty of cleaning the wheels too harshly and scratching the surface - even if they r tiny scratches so begins wheel nightmare (flakes corrosion etc....) and as everyone here agrees..... polish when dry protects and makes it sooooo much easier to clean next time around!!!!

I thought I would add this to accompany my water mark and vaccuum post.

I use Car Plan wash and wax in a strong mix on my wheels. Not for the paintwork though as it is a bit too waxy, I use McGuiers for that. When you've finished and IF, its a nice day, take her for a short spin to dry the discs, pads, and dreaded parking brake shoes.

Then, when home again, gently remove the rust and brake dust deposits with a damp and well rinsed chammy (not your main one :eek: ) then, when cool, apply your chosen wax. In my case its Autoglym Super Resin etc etc for the wheels and McGuiers for the paintwork.

One last thing, well nearly any way, blacking your tyres?, fed up of overspray on your drive?, spray some in an aerosol top and apply it with a 1" paintbrush drying it as you go with a cheap hairdryer :D .

I find that you only need to show your discs a hose pipe and they rust :mad: and also that heaviest deposits are in the first few miles after washing. I am low user by the way.

Portzy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom