Am I the first?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fabes

MB Enthusiast
Car
E 400 Coupe and X-Trail
Well lets start it off

Caved the front of the car in at 6.30am this morning!:mad:

200 yards from the house!

Bugga bugga bugga:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Ouch! Bad luck, but slightly predictable in this sort of weather :(

Hope you get it sorted out and no-one was hurt.

Think it's a reminder to us all to only venture out if it's absolutely vital in these conditions.

Will

Probably..Oops, bad luck.

Everyone with an automatic car remember to knock it into neutral when coming to a stop to stop the drive wheels pushing the fronts along.

Sorry to here this,

How bad is Caved in? sounds bad??

Diesal how about the ML? should I knock it into 'N' or leave the bus in 'D'

I walked in today, my theory is Ice. snow is still bad what ever you have and people just don't slow down so even if your safe the muppet behind isn't.

Diesal how about the ML? should I knock it into 'N' or leave the bus in 'D'

If it's in 4 wheel drive then it's not an issue, but if it's in RWD only then it is, though I'm sure the 4WD brigade will be showing their 'superiority' in bucket loads today.....until they brake that is..:devil:

Thats what always gets me...

When on a two or three lane road and outside road covered in water, snow, ice... You see the 4*4's still tanking down the road like they are imortal...

NO THEY are not... you still aquaplane, skid etc even more so in a big heavy tank :)

ouch sorry to hear that hope no one is hurt. Thats the strange thing up where i live there are more 4x4's written off or crashed in this weather than normal cars fwd or rwd. I think it comes down to the fact that we know our cars are crap in the snow and its just bad luck but most people with 4x4's think their cars are uncrashable.

sorry to hear that dude :(

Well I had to use the ML in our cul de sac this morning to make a path for other cars. Snow was over a foot deep, the ML coped admirably.

IMG_4131-1.jpg

Well lets start it off

Caved the front of the car in at 6.30am this morning!:mad:

200 yards from the house!

Bugga bugga bugga:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Sorry to hear that . Hope its not too bad!

I had my car out last night and having spent most the time stationary or going sideways, its now staying in its garage until the white stuff has gone.

If it's in 4 wheel drive then it's not an issue, but if it's in RWD only then it is, though I'm sure the 4WD brigade will be showing their 'superiority' in bucket loads today.....until they brake that is..:devil:

I was towed out by a nice chap in a Rangie today. Made my car look pathetic.

Cars safely on the drive/garage. Schools closed, no trains, so no reason to go out.

I was towed out by a nice chap in a Rangie today. Made my car look pathetic.

A good set of winter tyres would have done nicely. My 124 is coping just fine with the weather and the stationary heater is working overtime. :D :bannana:

Leaving mine where it is until the snow has gone ....

V8's , fat low profiles , and snow are a recipe for disaster.

There's no problem Mercedes have developed a technology to handle this precise situation -its called 4 MATIC Its a sophisticated 4WD system which improves traction and handling especially in winter conditions. Its available on the C, E, and S saloons and estates ( excluding S class)---------------------OH!!--- did I mention Mercedes in their wisdom have decided there's no market for this in the UK!:devil: http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=21885&highlight=4matic

Everyone with an automatic car remember to knock it into neutral when coming to a stop to stop the drive wheels pushing the fronts along.

what's the rationale behind this? the footbrake will brake all four wheels surely? and I wouldn't think that the idle revs of the engine aren't likely to overpower the brakes even in the cold?

am I missing something?

dave

PS. I've suer I've heard this bit of advice before, been told a reason and forgotten it :)

ouch!! sorry to see that :(

What did you hit :devil:

A stationary Kia Sedona with a tow bar on it (parked in his drive) - hardly any damage to him

Road went left at the bottom of a small hill...and I didn't

Just got the car back, to my drive, but must say rear wheel 225's are rubbish in the snow. Being passed by polo's up the offending hill - I had to get more grit!!

Might need to lool at the tyres methinks

I'll post a picture later

Worst but, I know the people I hit!

what's the rationale behind this? the footbrake will brake all four wheels surely? and I wouldn't think that the idle revs of the engine aren't likely to overpower the brakes even in the cold?

am I missing something?

dave

PS. I've suer I've heard this bit of advice before, been told a reason and forgotten it :)

Believe me it does happen in automatics in drive even with the foot off the throttle! If your car is still on its "warm up cycle" where the idle speed is raised its fully worse! You only have to end up a couple of feet beyond the halt sign at a T junction once to appreciate the wisdom of Dieselman's words!:eek:

Fabes:- sorry to hear about your car hopefully damage not too great.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom