Am I the first?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Apparently the winters in the UK are not bad enough to warrant winter tyres, or so I'm told every time to tell anyone how good they are! :)
Apparently the AA, RAC, Police, ambulance service, etc. don't think winter tyres are justified either. In the south of England anyway (the last significant snow here was 7 years ago IIRC).

I think it comes down to the fact that we know our cars are crap in the snow and its just bad luck but most people with 4x4's think their cars are uncrashable.

It also doesn't help that they forget they spec'd the low profile wheels and tyres.

Apparently the AA, RAC, Police, ambulance service, etc. don't think winter tyres are justified either. In the south of England anyway (the last significant snow here was 7 years ago IIRC).

This is far better than winter tyres......

TLDAston_lside2.jpg

Give Esure credit...

Car lowloaded away at 3.30pm!

Blimey - with the volume they must have today, thats impressive

Courtesy car with me tomorrow - which in view of the volumes I'll give them that

Lets see how they fix it

PS New Freelander planted itself into a white van parked up just outside the close. The road might have been white but the air was very blue!

Perversly, I feel better now, I know I shouldn't..... but why did it brake sideways with 18" wide lo profiles on it:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Yet again, everyone assumes they are only better for snow, that is not the case & the majority would benefit at least 3 months of the year.

One thing is for sure, they are not going away & market share is increasing slowly every year as more people become aware of the benefits.

Russ

I had winter tyres on my mx5 from october through to march for 2 years in a row.

Managed to cope with the worst weather the north of scotland could throw at me, albeit with a bag of cement in the boot when there was heavy snow.

Best couple of hundred pounds i ever spent.

Don't need them now i live in central london :(

(well until today)

(of course if i had taken the car into kings cross today there would still have been no parking)

The solution to many problems...especially today.

p2020425copyko7.jpg

But work so much better if everybody has them...:crazy:

The solution to many problems...especially today.

But work so much better if everybody has them...:crazy:

Too much apathy & ignorance I'm afraid

Russ

Quick point about low profile tyres, doesn't make much difference if you have low or high profile tyres the tread depth is more or less the same.

For example an 18" 35 profile tyre with 8 mm of tread has exactly the same tread depth as a 14" 60 profile tyre with 8mm of tread.

Width of tyre is perhaps what you mean?

I'll remember the knock it in to neutral from now on though, thats useful.

Don't know what all the fuss is about. I saw even a motorcyclist making excellent progress down the A153 late this afternoon.

The problem is you can have the best winter set up possible but it doesn't take into account all the other muppets on the road.

My advice if you don't need to drive, don't its simply not worth it.

I don't have much choice really, self employed means no work no money. Thankfully i deliberatly bought my house because it's on a main road with a flat driveway, which of course means its gritted well and i can get to my business on main roads. Not much traffic around first thing in the morning or last thing at night.

Don't know what all the fuss is about. I saw even a motorcyclist making excellent progress down the A153 late this afternoon.

That may be so but I bet you would have winced if you'd have seen him struggle on the B roads leading up to or from the main road.

Winter tyres are incredible in bad conditions - like night and day. Wifeys car has some already and next year I'll be getting some for mine for sure.

Last edited:
Ouch! You have my sympathy - the same scenario was running through my mind last night with the possible write off due to the age of the car as a bonus. CE is happily under a blanket of snow in the drive - glad its not parked on the street from what I've seen this morning..

Re the knock it into neutral tip - it really works. Last night I spent most of my short trip home rolling downhill in neutral, in gear and with brakes, the front locks and the nose of the car follows the camber towards the kerb/parked car/ lamppost etc...

RWD, a big engine and no ASR, ESP made for a fun journey. Glad it was short.

Ade

Yep not fun in the CE I tried to go to work, my car is stuck a couple of hundred yards away from my drive a bit worried though watching people just spinning the wheels trying to make it up the hill. I'm not parked in the best place I'm going to try and move it in a bit if it hasn't been hit by then :(

Mrs E slid into someone thid morning - the top of the road had been gritted, so it looked safe to enter, but kids had be sledging down the latter half and she slid slowly into a Citroen. Lights and bumper by the look of it.

Best bit is that the recovery truck (responding within 45 mins which is pretty good) got stuck and is awaiting recovery itself. Might have to go down and see if I can move it later.

Well... on my way to a "speed aware" seminar (!) I managed to drop my E off the road onto a frozen verge, beached on snow, no way of getting it out other than getting my mate to tow it off with his Navara.

oops.jpg

Last edited:
Am using the wife's Ka must not bash it as it's a 58 plate and her pride and joy.All the side roads seem to have cars parked on the bends are they all mad? just put a target on them give you somthing to aim at.
Very sorry to see your sport coup'e like this hope it's back good as new soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom