AMG A35 Owners Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Different requirements for different folks I suppose, for me I want the car to look different from the standard model. I went for the GTI TCR for that reason, from its design it is quite clearly a performance model and something over and above the standard GTI or even R, and this is even obvious to a "non"car person. The same stands for the A35 with the Aero Pack, everyone knows its not a standard model just on its looks.

My TCR has DCC, with this it can be a comfortable or as firm as you need it to be. This is what the A35 with the passive setup was missing, particularly for someone who uses it everyday, the passive suspension is just too firm on most roads. 80% of the time my TCR is on the comfort/normal setting, but its a totally different car on the sport setting.

You’re right mate... plus we needed a car ASAP so had a stock car so the spec was dictated to us based on monthlies . We could have lost premium and a couple other bits and got an aero but I couldn’t live with the small screens as they look rubbish. I think the standard A35 looks mean from the rear but average from front/side.

On a side issue, would love a go in a TCR. Love the look of them. Had two mk7 GTI’s, one manual one DSG. Both with tuning boxes. Loved my manual GTI, DSG not so much. Definitely a consideration when the R goes back in 12 months

You’re right mate... plus we needed a car ASAP so had a stock car so the spec was dictated to us based on monthlies . We could have lost premium and a couple other bits and got an aero but I couldn’t live with the small screens as they look rubbish. I think the standard A35 looks mean from the rear but average from front/side.

On a side issue, would love a go in a TCR. Love the look of them. Had two mk7 GTI’s, one manual one DSG. Both with tuning boxes. Loved my manual GTI, DSG not so much. Definitely a consideration when the R goes back in 12 months

I was in a similar position when MB agreed to take the A35 back, I couldn't wait on a new order so I had to rely on what was in stock. I actually wanted a S3/RS3 or an M2, unfortunately there was nothing available that suited (typically about 2 months after a bought the TCR there were some great deals on the M2 competition).

I was lucky in that a local dealer had two brand new TCRs in stock for immediate delivery, the added bonus was that there was a significant discount and contribution available which made the TCR very cheap (when compared to the M2 or RS3 and A35). Thankfully the TCR had all the options I wanted minus the pano roof, and in the pure grey and black combo it really stands out.

Overall I am very happy with it, covered 900 miles in it over 4 days last week with a trip down to county Kerry in Ireland, it was the perfect mix of comfortable on the motorways and great fun on the A and B roads.

You going to put a tuning box on the A35? Transforms the car ;)

You going to put a tuning box on the A35? Transforms the car ;)

Thinking about it mate. May do it after its 12 months to make sure there are no issues. It’s only just hit 1500 miles. I’ve seen the DTUK quoted figures and it has certainly got me interested

The Mrs drives it most of the time... wonder if she would notice

Thinking about it mate. May do it after its 12 months to make sure there are no issues. It’s only just hit 1500 miles. I’ve seen the DTUK quoted figures and it has certainly got me interested

The Mrs drives it most of the time... wonder if she would notice

Yeah sensible. I’m running TDI tunings one, pretty much the same as the DTUK box.
It’s my wife’s daily also but with the tuning box fitted it makes it more exciting for when I get my hands on it!

Is there a list of faults that owners have experienced?

I see at least one owner rejected their car but I can’t see that the faults listed, other than a dissatisfaction with build quality and materials

Thanks in anticipation of what I should check on a used example

Is there a list of faults that owners have experienced?

I see at least one owner rejected their car but I can’t see that the faults listed, other than a dissatisfaction with build quality and materials

Thanks in anticipation of what I should check on a used example

I think most have had a few electronic gremlins, they can be really sporadic so picking them up on a test drive will be next to impossible. I suspect most will be/are fixable with an software update.
Take the car on a good long test drive and listen for creaks and rattles, in my case they were coming from the door areas and side skirts. You can actually get the noise to appear by pushing around the door seals and where the skirts attach to the main body of the car. Regardless of what you hear, mine was not an isolated case and I know of 3 other cars rejected for the same reason. AMG themselves told me additional checks on the A35 where being carried out at the factory and this was the reason for a lot of delayed orders, and not the lack of Aero Kits and 19" wheels as customers were being told by MB.
Check the body work for stone chips, the paint seems to be quite easily chipped. I had several on my car at it had only covered 5k when I returned it, my car was Sun Yellow so I don't know if it was a particular problem with this colour or the soft paint extended to other colours.

Yeah the paint does appear a little soft. Our black one has a number of stone chips on the bonnet.

The only thing I’m keeping an eye is on a cold start is seems very jumpy on the throttle response. But it quickly goes away. May mention it to merc if it needs to go in for anything else.

I think most have had a few electronic gremlins, they can be really sporadic so picking them up on a test drive will be next to impossible. I suspect most will be/are fixable with an software update.
Take the car on a good long test drive and listen for creaks and rattles, in my case they were coming from the door areas and side skirts. You can actually get the noise to appear by pushing around the door seals and where the skirts attach to the main body of the car. Regardless of what you hear, mine was not an isolated case and I know of 3 other cars rejected for the same reason. AMG themselves told me additional checks on the A35 where being carried out at the factory and this was the reason for a lot of delayed orders, and not the lack of Aero Kits and 19" wheels as customers were being told by MB.
Check the body work for stone chips, the paint seems to be quite easily chipped. I had several on my car at it had only covered 5k when I returned it, my car was Sun Yellow so I don't know if it was a particular problem with this colour or the soft paint extended to other colours.

Firstly, just want to introduce myself as a new member. Collected my A35 in November but have been reading this thread with great interest prior and after collection.

I can actually vouch for what Chris is saying here. Ordered mine in June and was told at the time that my car would be ready for collection mid October at the latest. They said the delay was due to Mercedes not getting the part for the aero pack which I found hard to believe. If the actual reason, as Chris mentioned, was to make sure they rectified some of the issues then its probably worth the wait but I would have appreciated it more if they were just honest about it.

I haven't had any issues apart from an annoying squeak on the rare occasion when pressing the break (quite embarrassing when with passengers actually). I will be querying this with Mercedes but have to say I am thoroughly enjoying the car although having never owned a AMG (I get that some may argue this is not a ''proper'' AMG) or any other sports car, my opinion is probably not worth much.

Oh and I have metallic black paint and noticed a couple of small chips so again, unfortunately, I'd have to agree with Chris and a few other that the paintwork is on the soft side. Was quite upset about it as I noticed them when doing my first wash after having the car for only a couple of days.

No paint chips here and I’ve done 5000 plus miles, mine is I think it is called mountain grey.

Firstly, just want to introduce myself as a new member. Collected my A35 in November but have been reading this thread with great interest prior and after collection.

I can actually vouch for what Chris is saying here. Ordered mine in June and was told at the time that my car would be ready for collection mid October at the latest. They said the delay was due to Mercedes not getting the part for the aero pack which I found hard to believe. If the actual reason, as Chris mentioned, was to make sure they rectified some of the issues then its probably worth the wait but I would have appreciated it more if they were just honest about it.

I haven't had any issues apart from an annoying squeak on the rare occasion when pressing the break (quite embarrassing when with passengers actually). I will be querying this with Mercedes but have to say I am thoroughly enjoying the car although having never owned a AMG (I get that some may argue this is not a ''proper'' AMG) or any other sports car, my opinion is probably not worth much.

Oh and I have metallic black paint and noticed a couple of small chips so again, unfortunately, I'd have to agree with Chris and a few other that the paintwork is on the soft side. Was quite upset about it as I noticed them when doing my first wash after having the car for only a couple of days.

Yes brakes were noisy when we were bedding them in. Almost booked the car in but it seems to have stopped now they have a few miles on them.

As for the ‘proper AMG’ argument. Not really fussed. Although it pops and bangs in sport+ so it qualifies in my opinion ha ha

If they have fixed the quality issues that is great, I totally agree with you that MB should have just been up front and honest about the situation. A large part of me not getting another A35 was the appalling attitude of my local MB dealer during the rejection process. If they had treated me properly I would have been happy to wait on another car being ordered, instead they refused to accept anything was wrong with the car and that I was imagining everything, this attitude came from the service and sales managers both of whom had never been in my car let alone driven it and despite two independent reports commissioned by MB UK stating there were indeed significant issues with my car.

Frankly I would never buy any MB again.

Chris if you will never buy a mb again why on earth waste your time on a mb site? Surely your time would be better spend singing the praises of your golf on a vw site?

Chris if you will never buy a mb again why on earth waste your time on a mb site? Surely your time would be better spend singing the praises of your golf on a vw site?

Sorry, missed the part where it stated you could only post positive glowing reports of MB on the forum.

If you only want fairy tale views of everything in life, my advice would be to stay off the internet and stay in your "perfect world" bubble.

I'm responding to posts by other members, I am not randomly posting views. If you don't want to read them.....guess what you don't have to.

Sorry, missed the part where it stated you could only post positive glowing reports of MB on the forum.

If you only want fairy tale views of everything in life, my advice would be to stay off the internet and stay in your "perfect world" bubble.

I'm responding to posts by other members, I am not randomly posting views. If you don't want to read them.....guess what you don't have to.
Correct and I don’t, that’s the first thing I have agreed with well done!

Also for those people moaning about a firm ride, what on earth do you expect for a car that handles as well as this? I have had several cars e.g. Audi TT, John Cooper works minis etc where the ride is way firmer, been in a McLaren and guess what ,that’s firm as well. This is what you get with low profile tyres with stiff suspension and performance cars.Thats also why things can rattle, go in a McLaren and way more rattles than the a35. Plus it only cost £100.000 pounds more lol.

A35 AMG yellow.jpg In 2016 I bought a new A45 AMG. I had a gearbox issue, as many people did, it was all over the internet. The A45 spent weeks in the workshop. MB didn't appear to want to acknowledge a widespread issue, or even repair my new A45. MB customer service was a waste of time. Long story short the dealer took it back and in and I replaced it with a different brand. Roll on July 2019 and I was taken with the A35 AMG so test drove a white non-aero. Dealer stock, loved it. Bought it. The only thing that I was not content with was the fairly benign looks so did something I have never done before, bought the same model. Collected in November but fully kitted out with all options and in yellow. I think it looks cool and I love it. I have had no issues with either car (phew). I have owned many cars from a Simca 1100 to an Aston Martin Vantage V12 and I think at this price point this is one of the best cars I have owned. From looks, to performance to tech. It works for me.

View attachment 91419 In 2016 I bought a new A45 AMG. I had a gearbox issue, as many people did, it was all over the internet. The A45 spent weeks in the workshop. MB didn't appear to want to acknowledge a widespread issue, or even repair my new A45. MB customer service was a waste of time. Long story short the dealer took it back and in and I replaced it with a different brand. Roll on July 2019 and I was taken with the A35 AMG so test drove a white non-aero. Dealer stock, loved it. Bought it. The only thing that I was not content with was the fairly benign looks so did something I have never done before, bought the same model. Collected in November but fully kitted out with all options and in yellow. I think it looks cool and I love it. I have had no issues with either car (phew). I have owned many cars from a Simca 1100 to an Aston Martin Vantage V12 and I think at this price point this is one of the best cars I have owned. From looks, to performance to tech. It works for me.
I have areo kit as well and love the car !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom