AMG popularity: a good or bad thing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think the brands a bit diluted and I have a C43, as it suits my needs.

Funny story...I went to buy a litre of oil from my local Mercedes dealer and he wouldn’t believe that I had a C43 and went to check the Reg with my address.
He said you wouldn’t believe the amount of people that come in saying they have a AMG Merc, when they actually have diesel or amg line model.

Made me chuckle, definitely brand dilution.

I think the brands a bit diluted and I have a C43, as it suits my needs.

Funny story...I went to buy a litre of oil from my local Mercedes dealer and he wouldn’t believe that I had a C43 and went to check the Reg with my address.
He said you wouldn’t believe the amount of people that come in saying they have a AMG Merc, when they actually have diesel or amg line model.

Made me chuckle, definitely brand dilution.
Gadgie who delivered our Chinese the other week was adamant his C220 was a “proper AMG” and I’ve learnt not to engage; he’s happy enough thinking that and I don’t have the energy to take him to task when my beef in black bean sauce is going cold!

Gadgie who delivered our Chinese the other week was adamant his C220 was a “proper AMG” and I’ve learnt not to engage; he’s happy enough thinking that and I don’t have the energy to take him to task when my beef in black bean sauce is going cold!
I didn’t imagine reading your post in this particular thread would result in deciding tomorrow nights tea. 👍

😊

A lot of it is down to manufacturing sophistication. Can't speak about MB/AMG as I am new to the brand but BMW M cars used to be taken off the line, stripped and effectively hand built. You can't do this at scale or at a good price point. They then developed ways to build M cars on the standard line and hey presto volumes go up (as does margin) and next thing you know everyone has one (or so it seems). Cheap finance also helps as mentioned previously.

The AMGs look great - even AMG-line looks good too - so I don't mind seeing more about.

When I was growing up, a merc was a status symbol and for luxury wafting around. It was the mass produced AMGs that changed my perception and the unrivalled noise made me want one and after buying the house, the extension, putting a bit away for the future I could finally live the dream.

I love the heritage, the fine engineering and the fact that the car feels special. Do I care that there are many others of the same out there? Does it matter that the local mums drop off their kids in a GLC43? Not at all. (Having said this I don't remember the last time I have seen another s204.)

The estates are much rarer. I've only come across coupes and saloons in 34,000 miles of driving my S204 C63.

"German Whip" - they're life style cars nowadays, once associated to elder gentlemen and ladies of affluent stance, now in 2020, affordable and accessible to all.

I guess it's development, as time moves on we're becoming more progressive, I don't like the dilution as I feel the brand image has been tarnished a bit, but then again if Mercedes bank balance is healthier then who am I to complain, it further solidifies their position in the market.

The popularity is welcomed, but with any numbers game it's inevitable to attract certain owners who'll give the brand a bad image, I've came across plenty "rudeboy" types in AMGs and AMG lines, where once upon a time I'd associate AMG owners to pure car enthusiasts. That may be something to do with where I live, and having spent 30 years in London previously. Equally I accept my view point was and is flawed as my sample rate to reach such a conclusion wasn't large enough...

Ultimately what I care about more than anything is the enthusiast / passion side of things when it comes to cars, I want to enjoy it for as long as I can, I want people to appreciate that too (if they choose to do so).

Last edited:
When I was little, we used to live in a poorer area and rarely see Mercedes. You would see a few 230E, 280E, 300E. And it was quite special when I saw the odd 420SE or 500SE.

I loved it when my dad took me in to London. I would look out for the higher end Mercedes then suddenly you catch one with only two digits. TWO digits! Wow!

Those were special SL55, S55. And all the AMG emblems on them would make me go gooey.

But now these are common, I don't even blink seeing them.

Is there a website out there where it shows actual sales per model/spec per country, or per year etc? Be curious to see how many AMG's have been sold recently.

Is there a website out there where it shows actual sales per model/spec per country, or per year etc? Be curious to see how many AMG's have been sold recently.
I’ve never seen one but years back - when AMG models only came with a V8 or V12 engine - they were making more than 20,000 engines per annum, that was perhaps around 2010 (ish).

When you factor in the growth in popularity of V8 models - plus the introduction of V6 and I4 engines, and more new models - so my guess would be that they’re selling more than double that number today.

Howmanyleft.co.uk would give some indication of cars registered I think if someone here is inclined to do the analysis

I’ve not shared my own thoughts on this topic until now. On balance I believe it’s a good thing because it has enabled Mercedes to make some incredible cars.

The two things have become symbiotic: greater popularity has led to more incredible cars, and more incredible cars has led to greater popularity.

I personally don’t mind the prevalence of AMG line models in the slightest

I’ve not shared my own thoughts on this topic until now. On balance I believe it’s a good thing because it has enabled Mercedes to make some incredible cars.

The two things have become symbiotic: greater popularity has led to more incredible cars, and more incredible cars has led to greater popularity.

I personally don’t mind the prevalence of AMG line models in the slightest
I take the opposite stance and just feel that the 'AMG Line' is playing to the wannabe owners and NO disrespect to those that own AMG-Line vehicles. in the UK if we want an E-class vehicle, it has to be an AMG derivative!!! WHY???? what was wrong with the Elegance or Avantgarde? I love the AMG range but with the speed limits we have, I simply and very sadly do not see the point from solely a performance aspect. They are beautiful cars with beautiful engineering and respect to folks that own them for their looks. To folks that own them for their performance, I just wonder why unless they go to track days or of course the 'ring.

I like the old school Q car type vehicle that never had badges to say what it was. :) :) Oh and I am definitely NOT a fan of the 'black series' Unless of course it is an AMG-Line pretendy car :)

I take the opposite stance and just feel that the 'AMG Line' is playing to the wannabe owners and NO disrespect to those that own AMG-Line vehicles. in the UK if we want an E-class vehicle, it has to be an AMG derivative!!! WHY???? what was wrong with the Elegance or Avantgarde? I love the AMG range but with the speed limits we have, I simply and very sadly do not see the point from solely a performance aspect. They are beautiful cars with beautiful engineering and respect to folks that own them for their looks. To folks that own them for their performance, I just wonder why unless they go to track days or of course the 'ring.

I like the old school Q car type vehicle that never had badges to say what it was. :) :) Oh and I am definitely NOT a fan of the 'black series' Unless of course it is an AMG-Line pretendy car :)
I can only speak for myself of course but, I bought my C63 for the performance (and like most others the sound too).

The fact I can't exploit the full potential of the car on the public road isn't a problem, for me simply knowing that the car I own is faster than maybe 80%-90% of other cars you may see on the road is reason enough to justify the cost. Besides, provided you don't make yourself stick out like a sore thumb, there are plenty of roads in the UK you can drive well above the speed limit in relative safety provided you have your wits about you.

I see the forum has got its Glojo back. :)

Yesterday I was sat at a set of traffic lights on an urban dual carriageway, and in the front row was a GT C and G 63, and behind them were an ML 63 and GLC 43.

As I sat there it occurred to me that whilst this is an unusual event even today, especially in the Midlands/North, it’s a world away from even just 15 years ago.

Back then Mercedes already had quite a broad range of AMG models, but they were very rarely seen on the road, and very few members of MBClub had one either.

This traffic light GP showed how the model line up has changed in that time, with an AMG-only sports car, and a “lighter” version of an AMG, in this case a 43.

I can’t see how to create a vote in this version of the forum, so you’ll need to share your view as a post - is the popularity of AMG a good thing or a bad thing?

PS Going back 25 or even 35 years ago would show an even greater difference, but that pre-dates the forum and AMG (and even Mercedes) had a much smaller line up!
You Tease lol, who won ? ?

I love the AMG range but with the speed limits we have, I simply and very sadly do not see the point from solely a performance aspect.
Looks, sound and performance are all attractive to me, but it’s the performance potential which has by the greatest appeal for me, the ability to do something but choose not to.

• Oskar Schindler : Power is when we have every justification to kill, and we don't.
  • Amon Goeth : You think that's power?
  • Oskar Schindler : That's what the Emperor said. A man steals something, he's brought in before the Emperor, he throws himself down on the ground. He begs for his life, he knows he's going to die. And the Emperor... pardons him. This worthless man, he lets him go.
  • Amon Goeth : I think you are drunk.
  • Oskar Schindler : That's power, Amon. That is power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom