And so it begins, Project detailing C250

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Great work - you have got the car looking lovely, its a real shame about your callipers.
Indeed. I hit them with everything, unfortunately it can only be TFR stains 🤬
These will be addressed at another time in the spring, I just didn't have time to repaint them

Thank you for putting this thread together. It has given some great tips and as a treat to see the finished car in the condition it is in!

Luckily your chrome window trim has not be ruined by TFR local £5 scratch and swirl washers, so if the black wrap ever comes off it will still look fresh. Mine is less than ideal, but polishing up with Autosol and a microfibre has improved it enough that I don't yet feel the need to wrap it (surrounding areas masked off during polishing).

Sorry Lee, I now have a load of questions please because you obviously know your stuff 👍

1. When you we using car pro dlux around the wheel wells, what compnents did you treat with this? (for the reader, Car Pro say this is a ceramic coat specifically designed for hard plastics)

2. Can you recommend a way for a home detailer to clean the wheel wells without a hot pressurised wash system? Waiting until summer would be one step :D Hot water with a product in something like a 5L pressure sprayer? Then pressure washer rinse.

3. Specifically, how did you get the rear wheel well "carpets" washed and cleaned? I guess as a novice I can basically just keep hitting it with citrus, snow foam and pressure washer?

2. Do you apply any wax or other protection on the barrels of the alloys? I ask because I have treated my wheels with KKD, and whilst the front faces clean easily, the barrels have been terrible. See my detailed cleaning steps in this thread

3. If you would recommend somthing to give extra protection to the barrels, what would it be? I do have EZ Extreme Hybrid Ceramic Wax and as the wheels already have KKD ceramic coat (both SiO2 technology), I hoped that if I tried this in the barrels it might improve protection/cleaning. What do you think?

4. What fallout remover and glue tar remover do you recommend and where do you buy them please? I see you mention Korrosol in this thread. I'm nailing the fallout remover, so I'm about to buy 5L. I have been using EZ Reigning Iron fallout remover and EZ GTR for tar spots. They both seem to be pretty decent, especially the GTR, but my cleaning ordeal with the iron particulate from the alloy barrels has made me question my whole approach and product choice for the wheel barrels.

If you have time to help, I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Thank you for putting this thread together. It has given some great tips and as a treat to see the finished car in the condition it is in!

Luckily your chrome window trim has not be ruined by TFR local £5 scratch and swirl washers, so if the black wrap ever comes off it will still look fresh. Mine is less than ideal, but polishing up with Autosol and a microfibre has improved it enough that I don't yet feel the need to wrap it (surrounding areas masked off during polishing).

Sorry Lee, I now have a load of questions please because you obviously know your stuff 👍

1. When you we using car pro dlux around the wheel wells, what compnents did you treat with this? (for the reader, Car Pro say this is a ceramic coat specifically designed for hard plastics)

2. Can you recommend a way for a home detailer to clean the wheel wells without a hot pressurised wash system? Waiting until summer would be one step :D Hot water with a product in something like a 5L pressure sprayer? Then pressure washer rinse.

3. Specifically, how did you get the rear wheel well "carpets" washed and cleaned? I guess as a novice I can basically just keep hitting it with citrus, snow foam and pressure washer?

2. Do you apply any wax or other protection on the barrels of the alloys? I ask because I have treated my wheels with KKD, and whilst the front faces clean easily, the barrels have been terrible. See my detailed cleaning steps in this thread

3. If you would recommend somthing to give extra protection to the barrels, what would it be? I do have EZ Extreme Hybrid Ceramic Wax and as the wheels already have KKD ceramic coat (both SiO2 technology), I hoped that if I tried this in the barrels it might improve protection/cleaning. What do you think?

4. What fallout remover and glue tar remover do you recommend and where do you buy them please? I see you mention Korrosol in this thread. I'm nailing the fallout remover, so I'm about to buy 5L. I have been using EZ Reigning Iron fallout remover and EZ GTR for tar spots. They both seem to be pretty decent, especially the GTR, but my cleaning ordeal with the iron particulate from the alloy barrels has made me question my whole approach and product choice for the wheel barrels.

Give me an hour or so buddy I'll do some step by step for you

Thanks for your time and effort Lee. I can now see how it all works, will have another go during the next few days. I only want to give it a good clean.
Thanks again and you’d better get back to cleaning that car.
Keith

1. When you we using car pro Dlux around the wheel wells, what compnents did you treat with this? (for the reader, Car Pro say this is a ceramic coat specifically designed for hard plastics)

To start, Prep is really important. before rinsing them out, go straight in with a good APC, soak the entire area, leave to dwell so it softens it, power wash off, then treat again, agitate where you can, using valet pro chemical resistant brushes, and EZ detail wheel brushes around all the hard to reach areas, then rinse, you may have to hit these several times, then hit them with Tar remover. I use Prochem for this, but that's my preference. after the final rinse, they need to be as dry as possible, you can use a blower if possible to get all the excess water out, then use a MF cloth with Neat IPA on all the plastic, this will ensure all traces of cleaning chemical residue has gone.
apply a thin layer of Dlux with the applicator supplied, before it flashes off you need to level the product with a separate low pile towel, then buff away, if the plastic is textured then just leave it to self level.

you don't need hot water for this, as that will change the chemical formulation of the products. BH Autowheel in most cases should work, if not then it will need an acidic one, but prefer not to use these as they can damage the clearcoat esp if its starting to fail. agitate with a stiff wheel brush, or chmeical resistant Brush, {Valet pro) PW rinse down, then tar remover, then ideally a clay bar with some shampoo, wash off and rinse again, you then have the option to polish these for best results, followed by IPA to remove any remaining residue.

pretty much the same process as the front, they just take more work, they can be removed easily enough by just undoing the fixings that hold them in place. use a really stiff brush and keep going untill happy with your results. Rinse down and Blow dry if possible.

if you have followed the above steps for cleaning the wheel barrels and faces, KKD will work correctly. they key with any coating is not to over apply it, this will make the process harder to get a good result., I don't advise putting anything over a wheel coating as it won't really bond, it won't be resistant to hi temperatures so it will leave a soft residue that'll encourage soiling to stick to it.
if your cleaning with a good quality Barrel Brush ( EZ detail wheel brush) and BH auto wheel diluted 50/50 for general cleaning or good pure shampoo (BH Autowash, Garage Therapy wheel shampoo, carpro Reset etc) that should suffice.

WOW what a great job.
Thanks buddy, going to do an update this week about how the coating has worked with all the bad weather we have had,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom