Another possible clocked car (direct from MB)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vincenz

Car
W209 CLK 200K Coupe
Hi, I appriciate this was discussed at length in the donza thread, but my father bought a car from an MB dealer, it is 11 months old and the odometer says it has done ~14k miles.

He brought it round this morning to let me have a look and as I read the service pack there is a service sheet dated 2 months ago with the milage filled in as ~22k there no units so could be km or miles, but I would suspect miles.

The chassis and reg plate are correct on the service sheet, so I am sure it belongs to the vehicle, however I was concerned that the service sheet suggests it had covered an extra 8k miles two months ago.

I do hope there is a very simple explaination and I am really not in for an all out war with the dealer but is there any way the milage can be checked elsewhere?

Unless the service pack was missing something else all its got is this one service sheet.
The computer also says its dude a B service in ~9.5k miles, whether this helps shed light on the true milage I dont know.

Thanks in advance

Hi Vincenz,

When accessing the diagnostics on board, the mileage is stored in various places. In those places it is stored as KM.

I have seen lots of service sheets with the mileage filled in with what the Star has displayed in KM.

22K is around 13.75k miles so about right...

In any case I would double check with the dealer.

Hi Vincenz,

When accessing the diagnostics on board, the mileage is stored in various places. In those places it is stored as KM.

I have seen lots of service sheets with the mileage filled in with what the Star has displayed in KM.

22K is around 13.75k miles so about right...

In any case I would double check with the dealer.

Yeah I've got to concur with you here, its just the date that threw me.

The dealer said they were going to service it for him, and when he picked it up they said it had been done in the morning.

The service sheet is dated twice with the same september date.
With this twice, plus the correct chassis/VIN and reg plate I think its quite a bonafide document.

I can't imagine it then sat round and did no miles for 2 months, however stranger things have happened.

I'll get him to speak with the dealer on monday and feedback.

ETA:
So if it had been serviced this week (its a w211) should the distance to B service be longer than ~9.5k miles?

Or does the car decide this?

It depends on the engine and the oil used. My W211 E320CDI using mobil 1 oil is set to 13,500 miles after a service. The technician sets it and they do make mistakes.

If the car was part exchanged it into the dealer, 2 months is not a long time for a car to have been in stock...

If the car was part exchanged it into the dealer, 2 months is not a long time for a car to have been in stock...

Good point Jay, I know it was up at £20k for a while before being reduced.

If STAR reads in KM then the sheet could have been prepped as the car was recived.

This may be the simple explaination I was after :)

It depends on the engine and the oil used. My W211 E320CDI using mobil 1 oil is set to 13,500 miles after a service. The technician sets it and they do make mistakes.

My W209 CLK220CDi also using mobil 1, always shows 10,000 miles after a service, but it also travels between 11,000 & 12,000 miles before it shows the next service is due.

Russ

ONe bit I find odd about this is why would someone have a car serviced just as they were trading it in, or why would a dealer service it and then leave it sat in stock. They normally service them on sale, if at all.

Phone Mercedes Customer care and ask them to check.

Would the car value be a lot different if it had 14 or 22 k miles? I assume it would cost more to adjust the odometer reading than the gain in sales value.

I'm just considering it very odd if someone really has done this, don't have any idea if the data speaks for or against.

Would the car value be a lot different if it had 14 or 22 k miles? I assume it would cost more to adjust the odometer reading than the gain in sales value.

I'm just considering it very odd if someone really has done this, don't have any idea if the data speaks for or against.

Yeah it is confusing, 22k miles on an 11 month old car is quite high, especially when similar priced ones had between 10k and 14k.

I would just put it down to the wrong sheet being put in the service pack, but the correct VIN and reg plate suggest it was specific for the sheet.

I will get him to ring on monday and feedback.

Maybe if it was a lease car, there may be a condition that it must be serviced if due, and therefore had to be done before being returned?

I was looking at a run-out SMART ForFour a few years ago, with an amazing lease deal £99 plus £99 per month for 12 months and 12,000 miles (including VAT).

The salesman said that providing that the service didn't become overdue the only expense would be fuel and insurance, as road tax was included.

I doubt a dealer would clock a car intentionally.. i know about donza's situation but it would be too much risk for them, they would have to make sure all the staff in the workshop kept it quiet for a start and all MB dealers have techs that get annoyed and leave, it would only take one word to the press...

It doesnt sound likely...

Is this receipt actually for a service or for an inspection? I buy a lot of cars from MB finance and they always come with an inspection sheet showing STAR test results amongst other things...

I doubt a dealer would clock a car intentionally.. i know about donza's situation but it would be too much risk for them, they would have to make sure all the staff in the workshop kept it quiet for a start and all MB dealers have techs that get annoyed and leave, it would only take one word to the press...

It doesnt sound likely...

Is this receipt actually for a service or for an inspection? I buy a lot of cars from MB finance and they always come with an inspection sheet showing STAR test results amongst other things...

I had another look at the service sheet again and it appears it is an approved used checklist, for when the dealer recived the car.

From what Jay said the 2 month turn around seems about right, I think it must have been serviced at some point (as it saying 9.5k miles to service) suggests an A has already been carried out and the figure is probably in KM.

I had no reason to believe the car was clocked, as said theres not much in it for the dealers, however the donza saga made me think otherwise.

Thanks for everyones input, I believe my father is going to ring up about getting it serviced 2moro as he asked for it be serviced as part of the deal.

I
From what Jay said the 2 month turn around seems about right, I think it must have been serviced at some point (as it saying 9.5k miles to service) suggests an A has already been carried out and the figure is probably in KM.

If the car was not privately owned then MB used to hang on to them for a while before putting them out - usually until around 11 months.

Basically if your car is ex-fleet or contract it may have reached the point where the first service was due and been returned to MB - who will then have serviced it and passed it on through MB Direct or the dealer network at just under a year old.

~9500 miles is one of the points where Assyst Plus will start counting down from after it has been reset. So the car has aleady been serviced.

Just as follow up to this.
He recived a courtesy call from MB on Monday regarding the car, purchase dealer etc, he said he was happy with the car but mentioned the above.

They informed him that the milage on the sheet would be in KM and to save any further messing about when the next service is due it would be FOC.

So well done to MB customer care!

Free Service, thata bit OTT but a nice gesture nonetheless... Would make me more suspicious!

Free Service, thata bit OTT but a nice gesture nonetheless... Would make me more suspicious!

I amazes me, why good customer care would make anyone suspicious.

Geoff the gullable:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom