Are W211 SBC calibers interchangable with post 2006?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Decky

Car
2005 E280 CDI SPORT
Hi All

I have a 2005 E280 Sport with SBC brake system (or should i say HAD as i got rear ended and wrote off!). I bought a 2008 facelift E280 Sport. The front calipers on the old car were a nice silver, like new with 'Mercedes Benz' and looked well through the wheels but the calipers on the new car just look old and weathered.

I was going to swap over calipers from the old car to new car but then realised the new car does not have the SBC system that is on the old car.

The pad carriers are the same and the mounting bolts are are the same so mechanically they will fit. The front body of the caliper - the face you see looking through the wheel is bigger on the older car so im wondering if the SBC system has bigger pistons? If so is there enough presure in the 'normal' braking system to drive them? (i know the SBC is a high pressure system).

Thanks if anyone can confirm if this is doable or not! :dk:

Don't know about interchangeable, but larger piston means more force at same pressure. So pressure is not the issue. Instead larder piston means more volume (flow) if displacement is same. So what you need to know can main cylinder produce enough displacement at single push for two larger piston... (personally I wouldn't try this, if you want more fancy calipers why not change some AMG stuff?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom