Attempted Stolen Star!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You are legally allowed to film anything in a public place without first obtaining consent. This includes children, adults, people going about their daily lives, vandals, the Police.... anything and anyone in a public place can capture images of anything without requiring permission. If asked, requested, told or threatened to stop filming, photographing or simply being in an area, you also have the right to move freely and without obstruction unless you have committed a crime, in which case the exact crime and law must be explained until you understand it.

or to look at it another way, do you sign a release form every time a shop CCTV records you? And that's a private space!

If you choose to entangle yourselves in the 'what could be construed as...' arguments, you're going to find what you're looking for.

Maplins probably do a fairly good CCTV setup which could be easily adapted to fit in your car.

Seems a bit severe to set up a CCTV loop in the car to protect the Star! I know there are peeps who swear by their Star-I was one of the people who at first hated it but I soon loved it as not only did it make driving the Wagon for my partner easier to see the front but I took pride in wearing it.
To be honest I think it does look better without it as ( preparing for the flammage ) it is a little on the old fashioned side for me.

That happened to me once, some ***** just ripped off my shiny mercedes star :(

Somebody tried to get mine off, in a perverse way unfortunately they didn't succeed, they scratched the bonnet and gave up. :devil::wallbash:
I wish they had just taken it without damage.
I like the star however, it adds a touch of class to the drive.

Last edited:
I agree that installing cctv in your car is excessive and I also agree that the bling which the local oiks simply must have is outdated. If anyone would like to buy my 'bonnet bling' so I can afford to swap it with a flat badge, i'll happily oblige and if I wasn't now considering selling the clk230k and buying a clk320 or similar variant, i'd change the badge anyway. As if I don't already have enough to polish!

The first option for me would be much harsher reactions by communities to petty crimes such as this and I don't mean more neighbourhood watch or vigilantism! We simply do not tolerate it up our way and calling the Police over a £30 bonnet emblem is a thorough waste of public money. Report it by all means but if that is your only recourse to 'justice'... I have absolutely no issue with our Police and have little involvement with them except when necessary and my opinion of them is fairly neutral.

At worst, it's a badge and i've had worse accidental damage done to my cars in carparks. Keep any response realistic.

A bit o/t...

Sorry to drift off-topic, but this comment caught my attention.

I was polishing my W124's star recently and an elderly German who was walking by said he had his nicked regularly in South America in the fifties.

I wonder what he did for a living (say, for example, in the early to mid '40s) to be in South America in the '50s?

Perhaps he was ..... blimey!!

We don't hear too much about Bush, Blair, Condominium Rice et. al. these days, do we? Actually, forget I even mentioned them. Once we've sold all our 'spare' Gold to people in shopping centres for cash and they've melted it down in readiness for the 'big swap' from a US$/ barrel of crude oil-based economy and back to one based on the price of an ounce of Gold.....

I must be tripping balls or something-Where the hell did that come from?!?

It was a bit of a mind-bender. Sorry. I had much time to consider stuff while painting a wall with some hippies today. Probably easier to let it go but incase you're really curious...

Corned was speculating on someone who could have been a Nazi war criminal, in exile in S.America, in the 1950's (head scratcher). I related that to more recent potential war criminals (Blair,Bush,Rice) who also seem to have disappeared from view. Bit of a leap; still relative. (written while watching the cynically humoured Mock the Week)

I introduced one huge conspiracy theory (sorry for not warning of exposure to hippies first) and related Corned's German guy who was living in S.America in the 50's, to people who similarly seem to have disappeared off the radar (after causing one huge oil-related mess), while also considering the imminent change from a US$ oil-based economy back to the GB£'Gold standard' - which is a damn good reason to move on from being among the political World's most powerful people and hide.

Compare the war criminal dot com. Shimples!

Back to the piste methinks? You okay now Supacool1?

(didn't you notice the sudden increase in companies offering to buy gold for cash? I'm no gambler but buying Gold (lower priced) last year would have earned a great deal of interest if sold today. Interest in gold and gold prices increased faster and higher than oil)

Going now...

You do make sense! And you should have stated that you were exposed to Hippies. Would have made more sense before. You are 100% spot on in the above post. Got me thinking now as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom