Audio 10 - obvious upgrade..?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robert.saunders

MB Enthusiast
Car
W210 E300TD
Hi guys, quick question reference the standard Audio 10 in my C220.

Is there an easy upgrade, without resorting to a) COMAND or b) an after-market system? Looking for something that has FFWD and RWD to be honest!

Cheers

Rob

Last edited:
Do you mean a cassette based unit? The obvious upgrade from Audio 10 was Audio 30 - but Audio 10 should have FFWD & RWD!

Go for an aftermarket unit. You will get something a hell of a lot better for a lot less money than anything MB.

I cant wait to rip the audio 10 out its a waste of time the moment you want any volume out of it.

Hmm...

If you press and hold the track skip buttons it usually skips through the track.

I can't remember the last time I tried this on the Audio 10 fitted in the car, must try it tomorrow ....

AJTHOMAS said:
If you press and hold the track skip buttons it usually skips through the track.

Nope, Rob is right.. you can't ffd or rwd in a track, only move up or down a track and it does drive you mad, especially when you're right about to hit the high vocal chords and you get distracted.. and want to go back and try it again! :p

The only reason i've stuck with the Audio 10 is for the steering wheel controls in my E220 cdi. I'm guessing an after market unit will not allow this function.

Thanks for the comments.

The Alpine sounds ok - assume I need a facia adapter to install? Is the wiring easy, equally assume it's a socket to connect per what's already on the Audio 10? The integration with the steering wheel is useful.

Rob

Rich: which model range of Alpine will be compatible with the steering wheel? May be interested in a change, :)

try the Alpine: CDA-9853R - CD/MP3 PLAYER (£200ish)

Alpine: CDA-9855R - CD/MP3 PLAYER (£270ish)

CarAudioSecurity.com do the first one with IPOD intergration for £270 and the sterring wheel connection is about £50 iirc.

Sure you could get a deal if you got all three and an amp or something.

If you push the up and down arrows, as opposed to the left and right arrows (to skip tracks), you can rew/ff through tracks ...

robert.saunders said:
oops, no sorry it's a CD, but it doesn't have a ffwd/rwd option, only the ability to skip tracks, which does my head in :crazy:

Madferrit said:
Nope, Rob is right.. you can't ffd or rwd in a track, only move up or down a track and it does drive you mad, especially when you're right about to hit the high vocal chords and you get distracted.. and want to go back and try it again! :p

Try pressing and holding the up and down arrows on the left hand side.
Allows FFWD and RRWD on CD's in the Audio 10 fitted to our Baby Benz.
(Older style Audio 10 with square edges)

Blimey! I stand corrected :) thank u

AJTHOMAS said:
Try pressing and holding the up and down arrows on the left hand side.
Allows FFWD and RRWD on CD's in the Audio 10 fitted to our Baby Benz.
(Older style Audio 10 with square edges)

Nope, don't work.

I think, if I had the CD-changer, those buttons allow to change the disc, but surely with the single disc unit it would allow ffwd/rwd?!! :crazy:

I have this exact problem and it is infuriating.

I definitely don't want to go down the aftermarket route as even if the steering wheel controls would be made to work (which I wouldn't want to be without), I very much doubt it would continue to display radio/CD information in the centre display in the speedo.

I'll keep scanning ebay for an Audio 30 I think, unless someone has one for sale?

Guys,

Are you sure you're holding down the right button? its the knob on the left and you need to press the up arrow or down arrow to ffd or rev. When you press it your display will change into track time, so you can judge for yourself where you want to stop the track. I was pretty certain mine didn't work until i tried it.

Btw, thanks to c240sport for the info :bannana:

Madferrit said:
Guys,

Are you sure you're holding down the right button? its the knob on the left and you need to press the up arrow or down arrow to ffd or rev. When you press it your display will change into track time, so you can judge for yourself where you want to stop the track. I was pretty certain mine didn't work until i tried it.

Btw, thanks to c240sport for the info :bannana:

I think there are differences in how the unit functions depending on whether you have an autochanger attached or not.

I've got an autochanger. If I hold down the left/right buttons it moves between tracks - holding down move between tracks quicker. The up/down buttons change CDs in the changer, with holding the button down moving either up or down the available CDs.

Can anyone else confirm this?

I have tried gently brushing the button with my fingertip, prodding the button alarmingly, and holding down the button until my finger turns red and threatens to fall off through lack of blood flow. Sadly, all seem to produce the end result - nothing!

Interesting point made above, about seeing the track time. I can't even get the display to change to that "mode", it only ever displays the track number...

I think the differences are as descibed above, can only assume an Audio 10 ain't the same Audio 10 as another Audio 10... :rolleyes:

Is the Audio 30 a decent upgrade?? What features does that have over Audio 10?

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom