Average life span of a set of cross drilled slotted discs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

350cls

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E55k AMG Sold / S211 E320 CDI I6 W212 E63 6.2 N/A saloon.
As above, I am curious to an average life time for a set of E63 6.2 drilled and slotted discs. The ones in my car were changed at 51k my car has just gone over 65k. I said 67k the other day i did myself out of 2k lol.

The discs look in good condition and have plenty life left in them visually.

The brakes discs and pads front were replaced at a cost off £1,650 roughly. I put my parts into ecp the other night and added the code the whole lot come in at just over 1k. Which I thought was fairy reasonable. Is it a bit to early to buy discs and pads now to make use of the reduction or just wait until the time comes next there will be plenty of offers around and other options.

I would wait, you can buy genuine discs and pads from main dealers on eBay with generous discounts.

Take ECP’s prices with a pinch of salt... :)

It’s the old story, “how long is a piece of string” as it really depends on driving style.
Use the brakes a lot they will wear much quicker.

The best brake I have is the accelerator, lift off and you slow down 😇

As above, I am curious to an average life time for a set of E63 6.2 drilled and slotted discs. The ones in my car were changed at 51k my car has just gone over 65k. I said 67k the other day i did myself out of 2k lol.

The discs look in good condition and have plenty life left in them visually.

The brakes discs and pads front were replaced at a cost off £1,650 roughly. I put my parts into ecp the other night and added the code the whole lot come in at just over 1k. Which I thought was fairy reasonable. Is it a bit to early to buy discs and pads now to make use of the reduction or just wait until the time comes next there will be plenty of offers around and other options.
I managed more than 70,000 miles on an ML63 AMG. And that includes towing.

I replaced mine a couple of months back, 74,000 from new.

The rears however had been changed just before I got the car strangely...

Maybe excessive corrosion from lack of use.

I used to get through rears on my AMG for that reason.

Our W166 devours the rear pads for in just 16,000 miles, the W164 savours the rear pads over 70,000 miles.

Similar power, similar weight, similar use. I can only conclude that the compound and thickness are different.

However every ML we’ve ever had wears the rear pads at a faster rate than the front, including the W163.

Funny you should say that, the rear pads on my X166 GL are starting to get a little low at just 24k miles, but they have already been replaced at 12k miles.

The brakes discs and pads front were replaced at a cost off £1,650 roughly. I put my parts into ecp the other night and added the code the whole lot come in at just over 1k.
You'd get genuine front discs/pads delivered to your front door for approx £900 from MB Southend via ebay

Our W166 devours the rear pads for in just 16,000 miles, the W164 savours the rear pads over 70,000 miles.

Similar power, similar weight, similar use. I can only conclude that the compound and thickness are different.

However every ML we’ve ever had wears the rear pads at a faster rate than the front, including the W163.

Could be those cars use the rears first to prevent the lurch / sinking forward you get on lower model cars.

You get the same thing on the W222.

Thats in part due to the rear brakes having to slow down/reduce the energy in the drivetrain as well on RWD cars

You'd get genuine front discs/pads delivered to your front door for approx £900 from MB Southend via ebay

Sounds a good deal, when the time comes.

It’s the old story, “how long is a piece of string” as it really depends on driving style.
Use the brakes a lot they will wear much quicker.

The best brake I have is the accelerator, lift off and you slow down 😇

Mine could last a lifetime as I drive my E63 so blissfully so I could be a 70k achiever :rock:

Don’t forget the ESP/traction control, powerful cars driven hard can work the rear brakes quite a bit too.
^ Exactly this.

My first E63 was bought with 18k miles on the odo (an ex-MBUK car) and had just had its rear pads replaced, but the fronts still had good life in them.

My second E63 was an ex-demo with 850 miles on the odo when I bought it and I replaced the rear pads at 38,500 miles, but the fronts were still fine when I traded the car 3k miles later. Neither car needed rear discs when the pads were first changed.

Angie's R172 SLK55 is still on its original front discs and pads (with good life left), but needed rear pads and discs at 44k miles.

Brake wear is hugely dependent upon driving style and use patterns, but my experience with AMG RWD cars is that the rear's wear out first...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom