B Class CVT Transmission Failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sr2

Hi

Unfortunately 2 weeks ago my B200 Turbo popped up the message "Transmission Fault". The car was still turning over but there was no power going to the weeks (drive or reverse). Pulled over waited a few minutes and restarted but still nothing but a "crunching" noise when I put it into drive or reverse. Recovered to my house.

I have a number of questions which I hope someone can help with?

- Difficult one but any ideas what it may be?
- Anyone else ever experienced this?
- Any ideas of cost to sort out?

I have spoken to several indis and they tell me that MB are the only people to sort it out as it is a CVT. Is this correct?

Spoke to MB and they told me it would cost £180 to diagnose! :-(

The car was bought for my wife to take the kids to school so not abused at all. It has FMBSH with 37000 miles and 06 plate. Is type of fault common at this age? Mileage? Do I have any leverage against MB for this?

Sorry for all the questions as I am a bit distraught. I lost my job so don't have much money at present and it is the only car we have so having to rely on friends and family for lifts :-(

Any advice will be really really appreciated!

Thanks

Dont really hear of many problems with the CVT box in the W169 / W245.

Auto transmission fluid should be changed at 37k according to my service book, weird it has failed right at this mileage.

Where are you based? A member may be able to recommend a garage with a MB STAR system who can diagnose it for alot less.

Last edited:
Unfortunately its a known weak spot with these cars. Problem is access meaning repair/replacement is expensive. It might be something simple like a selection problem but anything else probably means big bills sorry. Best bite the bullet and get Mercedes or an independent that knows these transmissions to look at it. THEN AT LEAST YOU KNOW WHERE YOU STAND.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm gonna cry!

The car was serviced by MB Romford about 3months ago. Would they not have spotted this issue?

I live in Ilford, Essex. One issue I have is taking it these places as it does not move at all so will need to towed.

Obviously I need to get it diagnosed to work out what the issue is and an indication of cost. The funny thing is when the problem occurred the message came up but after that the message has not come up. I can start the car wait a few minutes but nothing?

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about this.
Let us know the outcome please- we have the same car
Good luck!

If you have full MBSH it should be covered by MobiloLife. They will do the recovery and provide a hire car whilst repairs are done.

AFAIK doesnt need to have full MBSH, even if you didnt service it at MB for two years and then did this year the Mobilo cover gets renewed from this year.

Edit: Had this link in my bookmarks, must have seen them recommended on a forum. Should be able to help if your close to them. http://www.geartorque.co.uk/home.htm

Last edited:
Looking at the invoice it does say 4 transmission oil.

Thanks for the info on the MobiloLife. That will get the car to Merc but the diagnostic and repair will be extortionate? Maybe I have no choice!

What exactly is the weak spot on these boxes?

If you had it serviced by main dealer this year it will have renewed your Mobilo cover. Mercedes-Benz UK - MobiloLife - Registered 01.01.04-31.03.08

BTW did they change the transmission fluid at the last service?

As it is over 4yrs old many dealers will do a reduced labour rate. Our local dealer reduces the hourly rate 20% on the older cars. In the long run it may not be that much more because at least they should know what they are doing and fix it efficiently. Mobilo will also provide the hire car free of charge which can make a considerable saving if you need a vehicle whilst its being fixed.

Problems seem to centre round the dual mass flywheel / torque converter area this seems to be more of a problem in the high torque engine models. :dk:
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/71248-cvt-gearbox-class.html

There are an awful lot of B Diesels (B180 & B200 CDIs) around which have the highest torques. Taking this into account, this problem has not been reported that much??
However the diesel Bs may be driven by a certain silver haired type that feather the throttles more...

In the long run it may not be that much more because at least they should know what they are doing and fix it efficiently
-sadly this is often not the case

-sadly this is often not the case
Sorry to hear that. I think we are lucky in having a very helpful local dealership. Always willing to listen to an owner with a little knowledge. There is also another dealer 20 miles away that is very aggressive in pricing work on older cars which probably helps the competition.

I posted a thread about a noise from my cvt on a 60 plate B class. Merc said it was a usual noise and that function and service life would not be affect. they did indicate that if they stripped the box at my expense and found a value or the torque convertor at fault they would cover it under the warranty. However If the gearbox life is only 37K then I have an expensive bill in a years time as I have nearly 16K on the car now.

Thanks for all the replies. Really appreciate them.

Yes I agree a life of 37000 miles for transmission is not good. In fact I would go as far as saying that it is not acceptable. I will be speaking to Merc on Monday.

I spoke to a friend yesterday who had a similar incident with his car (not Merc). Apparently at the time of servicing a bolt or something was not tightened properly so the transmission oil leaked out and it failed. As my car had the transmission oil replaced 3 months ago I wonder if the same could have happened? Anyone tell me how I can check this? Where is the outlet for the transmission oil on a B class?

Thanks again

...it is not acceptable.

^ This (probably).

Exactly how old is the car, how long have you owned it, where did you buy it and does it have full and ontime MB service history?

..I wonder if the same could have happened?

It definitely worth checking for leaks and checking the level before the dealer gets their hands on it, but do you always park it in the same place? You'd expect there to be some evidence of fluid on the ground if it was leaking.

If you can't get the level checked beforehand, I would want the dealer to do it in front of me.

i had a similar problem with my b180 cdi auto it was a 55reg it had done 60000 when the gearbox had a problem it dont remember the exact name of the fault but they told me it was some electronic plates in the gearbox which have sensors on it. there is no simple repair if it is the same thing the part cost me over a £1000 which has to be reprogrammed by the dealer.
the gearbox oil change is essential to stop this happening.

I heard about this on A and B class CVT boxes going before 60k miles. I believe this a CVT box thing and point this to MB and try for some good will for a 4 year old car with 37k on the clock. This is the main reason my wife inherited my C Class. Really hope you get some satisfaction with MB.

^ This (probably).

Exactly how old is the car, how long have you owned it, where did you buy it and does it have full and ontime MB service history?

It definitely worth checking for leaks and checking the level before the dealer gets their hands on it, but do you always park it in the same place? You'd expect there to be some evidence of fluid on the ground if it was leaking.

If you can't get the level checked beforehand, I would want the dealer to do it in front of me.

The car is an 06 plate with 37000. I have owned it about 8 months and brought from a friend who never had any issues with it. It has full MB service history all on time.

It is not always parked on the same spot but I remember an incident a while back where there was oil on the driveway but my brother was parked there so I thought it was from his car. I will call him to check if it was.

Where do I check for leaks? Where is the "outlet"? I really don't know much about cars so any guidance would be great.

I know that there is no guarantee that a transmission would last for the life of the car but surely you can expect it to last a long time especially on a car which is properly maintained, not driven aggressively and so expensive.

Not sure if I am clutching at straws. I am a bit upset as I really do not have the money to get this sorted out. I want to get all my facts together before I speak to Merc on Monday.

Thanks for all the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom