B Class CVT Transmission Failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Alas automatic gearboxes have passed their reliability plateau imho . The old torque converter 4 speed hydraulic controlled boxes were pretty bullet-proof if the fluid+filter was changed regularly. Now in the search for fuel economy a new generation of gearboxes have arrived be it CVT or automated clutch or preselect twin clutch DSG type boxes. These depend far more on electronics and servos to select gears and these seem to be more prone to failure than the older less efficient boxes. Sophistication has its price perhaps ??:dk:

The car is an 06 plate with 37000. I have owned it about 8 months and brought from a friend who never had any issues with it. It has full MB service history all on time.

It is not always parked on the same spot but I remember an incident a while back where there was oil on the driveway but my brother was parked there so I thought it was from his car. I will call him to check if it was.

Where do I check for leaks? Where is the "outlet"? I really don't know much about cars so any guidance would be great.

I know that there is no guarantee that a transmission would last for the life of the car but surely you can expect it to last a long time especially on a car which is properly maintained, not driven aggressively and so expensive.

Not sure if I am clutching at straws. I am a bit upset as I really do not have the money to get this sorted out. I want to get all my facts together before I speak to Merc on Monday.

Thanks for all the help.

I think it's going to be diffcult once the car is over 5yrs old and because you're not the original owner and you didn't buy it from an MB dealer.

It tough to know what to advise - if you tell the dealer you have no money then they might refuse to work on it. Perhaps you could call Mobilo out, saying the car has broken down, and get the technician to check the ATF level in front of you - I think your best hope is that the dealer messed up doing the ATF change, but I wouldn't want to leave it to the same dealer to investigate that.

You could sue MB in the small claims court suing moneyclaimonline on the basis that you bought a "premium" car and this shouldn't have happened. But you'd really have to get it fixed first and then sue them for the cost. I've no idea if you'd win - in similar cases with Vauxhall Corsa camshafts breaking, Vauxhall settled out of court, as most large companies do. However we've seen from threads on here that MB UK will go to court and defend itself.

Alas automatic gearboxes have passed their reliability plateau imho . The old torque converter 4 speed hydraulic controlled boxes were pretty bullet-proof if the fluid+filter was changed regularly. Now in the search for fuel economy a new generation of gearboxes have arrived be it CVT or automated clutch or preselect twin clutch DSG type boxes. These depend far more on electronics and servos to select gears and these seem to be more prone to failure than the older less efficient boxes. Sophistication has its price perhaps ??:dk:

I've been thinking this since SMGII (BMW) came out around 2002.

That's partly why I wanted a E55K with a slush as they are pretty strong.

Saying that, the CVT box in my other half's Jazz is still happily working nicely after 75,000 miles and a single fluid change previously (not a torque monster though...).

Any update to this SR2? Thanks.

Cvt auto box

Thanks for all the replies. Really appreciate them.

Yes I agree a life of 37000 miles for transmission is not good. In fact I would go as far as saying that it is not acceptable. I will be speaking to Merc on Monday.

I spoke to a friend yesterday who had a similar incident with his car (not Merc). Apparently at the time of servicing a bolt or something was not tightened properly so the transmission oil leaked out and it failed. As my car had the transmission oil replaced 3 months ago I wonder if the same could have happened? Anyone tell me how I can check this? Where is the outlet for the transmission oil on a B class?

Thanks again

I would talk to the dealer and Mercedes uk between the they should be able to sort your gearbox problem. If you have had your B Class servced by Mercedes dealers they can get mercedes to help you with the repair. as they have a goodwill system in place.

Apologies...been a bit busy. I have called Merc twice but no once has called me back. I asked to speak to the service manager and also the general manager. If I don't hear back today I may have to write to them.

Stu, do you have any more information about the goodwill system?

Thanks

Right, finally an update. Sorry its taken a while, was waiting on Mercedes.

Firstly I will say after the initial hiccups Merc have been really good. As a good will gesture they waived the diagnostics fee, I got a hire car and they are speaking to head office about what they can do with regards to sorting out the car.

Thankfully it was not a transmission issue in the end but a drive shaft failure which unless I am mistaken is easier and less costly to repair?

I will keep you posted on progress.

Thanks for all the replies and advice.

Cheers

This is something I am not looking forward to. You see CVTs for sale with gearbox defects. Perhaps hunt for a crashed vehicle and find someone to swap it, least cost option. My wifes A class has only done 10k and I am wondering if regular oil changes might increase its life. Maddening really my 300TD is just on 200k and not a murmer from the box. good old fashioned torque converter. It is a known weakness of these cars and I think Mercedes should fix it.

My experience is that MB do try to treat their customers fairly....

They have been helpful so far. I have two friends who have both had very negative experiences with MB. I hope mine ends on a positive note.

Thanks

b200cdi cvt

i just bought myself a b200 cvt and had nothing but problems with it .. i found it juddered violently and had to take the car back. Its been 2months and I'm due to get my car back in a couple of days. i took it for a test drive as reading advise on another benz site.the company doing the car has had the torque converter odified and redone ,ie opened and relined ,ballance, basically reconed.i also had the brain replaced too i forget the tech word for this its the part that talks to the engine major part.also found one of the rear parktronic sensors failed on the corner rear so it knocked out the system.and exhausts having to be replaced as starting to go on the bends..i read a review on a guy had same problem and he said he had to drive around about 100 odd miles to get the car used to his way of driving and after this the car eased off and was spot on. i did the same doing around 160 miles round trip and i found still had a little judder at high gear if i were to put my foot down hard , but found it i took it easy and gently drove to around 40mph it was awesome and once it was at 40 i was about to shoot to speed of desire http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
I have read of other similar problems with the cvt and seems it's a great car if looked after and unlike other autos. You have to change the gearbox oil every 30k. I personally will do this as I find the car interesting and comfortable, mine if loaded with phone and leather parktronic , it has 81k and is a 2005 input from in Ireland. luckily the garage i bought it from have paid for this costing around 2000 pounds. i said to him if he puts a new exhaust i will do the rest that needs doing and found the warranty i bought from the autogroup in UK will cover the odds and sods that still need doing,iv still got to have front wheels bearing and parking sensor to sort,it will need front brake discs and pads which i will have to pay for but the rest is covered by warranty. Id advise anyone buying one of these awesome cars and I say this still after having the problems ,get a warranty plan. Mine in the UK I got an intimate level warranty and cost me only well cost him not me £200 only for 15months of warranty so well worth it as the gearbox is expensive and is covered in this warranty.

Dont really hear of many problems with the CVT box in the W169 / W245.

Auto transmission fluid should be changed at 37k according to my service book, weird it has failed right at this mileage.

Where are you based? A member may be able to recommend a garage with a MB STAR system who can diagnose it for alot less.

Hi everybody

Sorry but I was not getting notifications of post on this thread. Basically Mercedes were actually quite good. Cut a long story short. They gave me a hire car while they repaired the drive shaft.

They told me the cost was £750 for the drive shaft and £750 for the labour! But as a goodwill gesture they would only charge half price for the drive shaft and free labour. So all in it was a lot better than I thought but still ridiculous that the drive shaft failed after 37k.

Cheers

Hi everybody

Sorry but I was not getting notifications of post on this thread. Basically Mercedes were actually quite good. Cut a long story short. They gave me a hire car while they repaired the drive shaft.

They told me the cost was £750 for the drive shaft and £750 for the labour! But as a goodwill gesture they would only charge half price for the drive shaft and free labour. So all in it was a lot better than I thought but still ridiculous that the drive shaft failed after 37k.

Cheers

It was probably the clutch pack that had failed if it was juddering - and if that's the case, then it was probably always "suspect" it just took that long to actually give out on you....

D.

Thanks dancyclon.

You could be right. The biggest issue for me was at the time things were not so good and it was something I did not need :)

Cars been fine since.

Also a few days ago someone mentioned to me that they had been told by someone else with a B class that there had been a recall by Merc due to issues with the drive shaft on the B class. Any ideas?

I've searched around and can't find anything about it. May just give Merc a call.

Cheers

I have a 09 reg B150 auto with cvt problems. Last year when it was about 3.5 years and 36k it developed a continuous whirring noise. The car drives normally with this noise when stationary and moving. The car has a FMBSH. MB refused to fix it citing that it was out of warranty. So have decided to MB to small claims court. Hearing date is Aug 2013. Will keep you posted

Hope it goes well...yea please keep us posted.

Cheers

I have a 09 reg B150 auto with cvt problems. Last year when it was about 3.5 years and 36k it developed a continuous whirring noise. The car drives normally with this noise when stationary and moving. The car has a FMBSH. MB refused to fix it citing that it was out of warranty. So have decided to MB to small claims court. Hearing date is Aug 2013. Will keep you posted
We have now had arbitration with MB. They have offered to pay 50% toward the cost of the replacement gearbox costing £5200. I have rejected that and now have a court hearing date towards the end of August. Will keep you posted.
Auni

We have now had arbitration with MB. They have offered to pay 50% toward the cost of the replacement gearbox costing £5200. I have rejected that and now have a court hearing date towards the end of August. Will keep you posted.
Auni

Good luck, and persevere.

Wow that's bad news!

I too also thought the CVT boxes on these were fine, just when I started to look at W245 B200 Turbo's! Off to do some more research...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom