B Class CVT Transmission Failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Dear all,
Our A180cdi first registered sept 2010 has an occasional transmission judder, so far only twice just after joining the M4 and accelerating. It happened in the same place bizarre. The first time it happened to my wife she stopped on the hard shoulder. I went and swapped cars. I accelerated and as I joined the carriageway at about 35mph it juddered it felt like a transmission problem it was quite worrying. A bit like the ABS working, but on accelerating. I stopped accelerating but kept going to see it if would go away and it did, I then drove 20 miles home at normal speeds and no problem. I called Salisbury Merc, who have serviced it, daren't put my hands on it. Drove there and they checked it over, no fault codes and gave it a software update. No problem for two weeks and it happened again this time my wife drove on and it cleared. It has done 31k and I asked for a gearbox oil change and offered to pay for it, as the next service is not due until September when the warranty runs out. I have noticed a transmission hum when hot but with the MB mechanic thought it was normal. I have complained twice about the hum, and now the judder. What do I do ? leave it to collapse ? Its a great car. Has anyone had an oil analysis done on oil from this box to try and determine a fault I asked MB (garage) and they said they don't do it except the old W210 coolant into oil problem. A £5,200 fix is just horrendous - whenever it is needed. Ideas please. ??

I'd also wait and see how things turn out for arjaffer above as the related-car is a year older than your one.

Rory and JohnEboy - thanks.

Next installment. My wife went shopping and it juddered on and off to Waitrose. MB said take it straight in and it juddered on and off to the garage she stopped the engine. Mechanic took to test drive and it behaved itself, wife and mechanic took it for a test drive and it behaved itself. Apparently she should not have stopped the engine - lesson 1. So she came home.

The fault memory obviously does not record erratic loading of the transmission or it would indicate it. Does anyone know of any electronic recorder that can plug into diagnostics to record torque or engine load. if so maybe we could record the mechanical juddering vs normal behaviour ? Strain gauges on the engine mounts perhaps ? I will ask MB but I can foresee the answer from them.

What about filming the rev counter on a mobile phone as it does it?

JohnEboy thanks, Arjaffer good luck, My wife drives I am ready to video with mobile ,
- and no judder again yet.

Hmm... you might find that fixes it.

Sometimes in my job (IT), just going to look at something do something wrong - fixes it.

It's like magic...

:D

We have now had arbitration with MB. They have offered to pay 50% toward the cost of the replacement gearbox costing £5200. I have rejected that and now have a court hearing date towards the end of August. Will keep you posted.
Auni
Had My case with MB on 23rd August. Won case and they have sent me a cheque for the some of £5000 + court costs

Thats great news. I think it also means that as it was in a public court others with a similar problem can use it in support of their case. Well done for sticking to your guns.

Tremendous result well done.

Well done, that's excellent news! Good result for you, it's a shame you had to go legal but hopefully this may help others.

Thanks for giving us the update...

Hello arjafffer and all ,

The claim news is quite excellent,

better update you on mine.

The car behaved itself for two weeks after software update then same judder happened again. Back to Mercedes this time a another dealer Newbury the one we bought the car from. They had it for a for three days and I dread to think what they did to it - drove it hard I guess. I asked them to change the gearbox oil and they said no initially because it had not done 37k miles only 32. after two days they asked to change it. I had to pay as it is a service item. Well the problem has not re - emerged.

I will get them to service (annual) it this last time - 3 years is up. and then shall do it myself and the gearbox box oil every 2 years say 20 k miles. The first time I do it I will send the old oil away for analysis along with new oil.

It does whine a bit when hot but it always has.

All the best Peapod

juddering vibration?

i have a 2005 b200cdi cvt and had same thing but luckily enought the garage i bought from didnt want expensive bills and paid for a autogroup warrenty the ultimate version for 15months. the juddering i said to check the drive shaft but not being a machanic i shugged off. they endded up repaceing the toque converter costong 2.5k and the brain that talks to the engine on the gearbox costing 1.5k they replaced all breaks and discs even put an new stainless steel exhauste on ha and the 2 front bearing .and what was the verdict? it still shook. i took to another garage who said think is what i said it was the ndrive shaft.so they changed the passengers side as shorter that smoothed it off then they did the drivers side SORTED. now what did i say.. any way after having my like a new car the vibration comes on only at acceleration and when warm . i i put my foot down when cold it smooth. and the vibration isnt that bad just anoying. has anyone else has this vibration on the cvt when they drive and push revs to around 3k plus and when the revs come down when it changes gear vibration goes..any ideas any one. ?? my friend said time to change the oil will help after a flush. is thenoil 5/30? or 5/40 on a 81k car

Rory and JohnEboy - thanks.

Next installment. My wife went shopping and it juddered on and off to Waitrose. MB said take it straight in and it juddered on and off to the garage she stopped the engine. Mechanic took to test drive and it behaved itself, wife and mechanic took it for a test drive and it behaved itself. Apparently she should not have stopped the engine - lesson 1. So she came home.

The fault memory obviously does not record erratic loading of the transmission or it would indicate it. Does anyone know of any electronic recorder that can plug into diagnostics to record torque or engine load. if so maybe we could record the mechanical juddering vs normal behaviour ? Strain gauges on the engine mounts perhaps ? I will ask MB but I can foresee the answer from them.

Hi Arjaffer,

I am very encouraged by your case.

I am contemplating taking MB to the small claims court too. I wonder, would you mind giving me your opinion on my chances of winning...

I have a B Class 170 manual, 57 plate with 50k miles on the clock. I bought it for £12k from Mercedes Used Cars in Waltham Cross, 2.5 years ago. It also has a FMBSH so it's MB through and through.

It has recently developed a noisy gearbox and has been diagnosed by MB as needing a replacement gearbox at a price of £3500. The MB dealer applied to MB Warranty for a goodwill claim (it is out of warranty). I have been offered 33%. Despite this low offer, I think I shouldn't have to pay any where near this much if at all.

I believe a car so young and with such low mileage shouldn't need a replacement gearbox. I believe the dealer is breaching the Sale Of Goods Act and I am going to make a small claim against them based on this. Is this the basis on which your claim was based?

It is daunting to consider taking MB to court but do you think my claim is reasonable? Meanwhile I am driving it and I don't know whether to pay to get it fixed and recoup the costs after or to wait to find out the outcome of a court case. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sunnybrae

I am experiencing the same problem. The transmission failed at 88,000 miles - 3 yesars and 10 months old- Mercedes have said they will poay 15% towards the £5,000 bill. The car has been in and out of the workshop as the gearbox was jus=dderiong at 30mph. They changed a valve in the gear box and the Torque convertor but are saying that the ciurrentm problem is unconnected.
I would like to hear from anyone who has had similar problems please.

Hi keep in touch as I have the same problem with a 59 plate. I am building up a history to see if its a common problem. I too am considering the small claims court.

John Mac

Hi Arjaffer,
Have just joined the forum because I am so frustrated wiyh Mercedes. I bought a new B Class (59 plate) and for a while it went like a dream but then at 30mph a constant juddeting started unless you have the autopilot on. It went into the garage 3 times, the last time for 3 weeks and they changed a value in the gearbox and the torque convertor. It didnt make much difference. The dealership have told MB that the current pproblem is not related to the work carried out previously.
7 weeks ago the transmission disaconnected, car towed to MB, letters and e mails to Customer Service resulted in an offer of 15% towards a new gear box- and then they suggested that I have a new torque convertor just in case. They dont know what is wrong only that when they took the bottom plate off there were large lumps of metal in the swarf. They suggested that they fit a new torque convertor at my expense and if that didnt work then fit a new gear box.
I see your gearbox went- what were the circs and how old was the car?

Good news to take on MB and win.

Regards

John mac

I have a 3 1/2 year old B class 2.0 Sport developed droning/whirring noise over last 5 months - merc dealer has had the car for 1/2day then 2days now 5days detecting problem over last 5 weeks - told it could be "diss" plate wear or gear box Stuttgart have instructed strip down of gear box before deciding what to do -car has only done 24000 miles -no doubt that this model has gearbox problems !!

Can anybody tell me how to reach the post of John Macintyre on b class cvt . I have been directed by e-mail to this link
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/113116-b-class-cvt-transmission-failure-new-post.html . I did get to the correct thread initially but now I am directed to this one. I have tried numerous searches. help please !

NO WORRIES IT HAS FLIPPED OVER AND PICKED IT UP the missing messages.

jOHN my heart felt sympathies, my wife has an A class 60 plate and 36k miles. It has misbehaved, but not at the moment. I guess the worst will happen eventually. Please on behalf of other CVT owners pursue MB rigorously. We have had it since new and it has never been driven hard. That said a gearbox should be designed to cope with everything the engine gives it. I fear mine will fail long after the warranty expires but I want to be able to get reasonable compensation. I have an E300 turbodiesel at 216k and it is a dream. Mercedes should sort these gearbox breakdowns

arjaffer above was successful and I am sure if you can be tough with MB you will win. peapod

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom