B Class Rust

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rustbucket

Car
B
Hello everyone,

I have a 2006 B Class that is rusting on all the doors and the bootlid. This is apparently common on pre 2007 cars and there is much on the net about it.

I have Full MB History, MB acknowledge that the panels need replacement, but will not cover the work under their warranty.

The car is less than 5 years old, what should I do next?

It is very clear that these panels are faulty, and after looking at dozens of other makes of cars, I can find no car on the market that rusts like this so quickly.

Does anyone have any acknowledgement from MB that either the 2nd generation A class or B class pre 07, has faulty doors?

Thank you

W169 A class definitely had a problem due to wrinkly seam sealer, that may be your issue as well.

Our 2006 B-Class is rust free even though it is our work horse and covered 65k since we had it from new.

Mercedes publicly admitted there was a problem on some early A's and B's. None after June 2006 build date. And they said in the Press that they would put them right free of charge.

Some good pictures and some info in this thread: -
Questions about 2005 A200CDI 3 door - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

I'm pretty sure there was a thread or two here as well. Try a search.

If need be say you are going to the small claims court. Shouldn't be necessary though. Ask for the Dealer Principal and if that doesn't work contact MB UK head office. They absolutely know this was a production problem on some early cars. (Not all - my brother had one of the earliest A's and no problem and friends have an early B with no problem.)

Last edited:
Agreed. This is a well-known fault and many have had the problem rectified - in some cases new doors.

They might even offer to buy it back off you as it's more cost effective for them to do that. If so, let them and go and buy a better one.

Mercedes publicly admitted there was a problem on some early A's and B's. None after June 2006 build date. And they said in the Press that they would put them right free of charge.

Mine was registered in March 2006, so was obviously built prior to the changes, probably some time in 2005.

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of this article, or which publication it was in?

Thank you for the help so far.

Just had four doors replaced on a 2005 W169.

Mercedes coughed up straight away and said it was 100% their fault !!

They did value the car though prior to giving a final decision.

I have Full MB History, MB acknowledge that the panels need replacement, but will not cover the work under their warranty.

Is there something you're not telling us - I can't imagine why MB would not cover the work.

How long have you owned the vehicle?

As above. There has to be a reason given for not covering if it especially as you say it has full MB service history.

Just had four doors replaced on a 2005 W169.

Mercedes coughed up straight away and said it was 100% their fault !!

They did value the car though prior to giving a final decision.

Hello Bandit, Do you have paperwork or anything in writing from MB confirming that it is 100% there fault, and that they covered the work FOC, as it states in the warranty.

On another point, a couple of posters have raised. MB have confirmed that the length of ownership of a vehicle has no bearing on a claim.

You would think they would have learnt from the previous rust debarcle, but no..

What is it with car manufacturers that makes them take their customers for fools.

As a result of this thread I tool a close look at our 2005 W169 and sure enough found rust along the seams of the rear doors.

Dealer has submitted a claim to MB for 2 new doors. Hope to find out any day whether it has been approved. I damn well hope so!

Hello Bandit, Do you have paperwork or anything in writing from MB confirming that it is 100% there fault, and that they covered the work FOC, as it states in the warranty.

On another point, a couple of posters have raised. MB have confirmed that the length of ownership of a vehicle has no bearing on a claim.

Nothing in writing these were the words from the MB Dealer who had been speaking to the MB Warranty people.

I have had the Service book stamped (towards the back) with info relating to doors replaced under warranty. I assume it will also be logged on a computer when retrieving a service history for the vehicle.

No mention of length of ownership but they did want to see the V5.

When will Mercedes actually start making cars properly?

There is no excuse for rust nowadays, when was the last time you saw a rusty Fiat or Citroen, this is precisely why I buy Volvos now, I don't trust a Mercedes to last long term.

The only possible get-out-clause could be if the car had ever had paintwork or other bodywork done outside the dealer network .

Assuming your car has not been repaired elsewhere , I can't see the problem .

When will Mercedes actually start making cars properly?

There is no excuse for rust nowadays, when was the last time you saw a rusty Fiat or Citroen, this is precisely why I buy Volvos now, I don't trust a Mercedes to last long term.

I had a 1996 Mazda Xedos and still see them around today with no rust at all. I've also seen a few of the later model Mazda 6, 2002 & 2003 models which looked like a Mercedes with rust around the rear arches and bottom of the doors. There must be a combination of water based paints & cost cutting measures, not just by Mercedes responsible.

Russ

Slightly off topic - but I have never been able to get to the bottom of whether A and B Classes have nano paint. Anybody know?

Slightly off topic - but I have never been able to get to the bottom of whether A and B Classes have nano paint. Anybody know?

If the paint code on the sticker has a C at the end it does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom