Badge removal and paint shadow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oscarisapc

Car
W209 CLK500
Is there a risk of leaving a paint "shadow" when a badge has been removed from an older car? I am about to take delivery of a 2007 black CLK500 (see query above about detailing) and want to debadge it to avoid unwanted attention. I have read a lot about the technique using hot water/hair dryers and dental floss etc, but my query is about the resulting finish. Does the paint that has been under the badge differ from that exposed to sunlight for the past six years, and if so, is this something that a gentle T-cut and polish will sort? Advice welcome please - I don't want to spoil my new car. Thanks

One of the letters fell off mine :( so it left the sticky sponge stuff. I removed the remaining bits, (that sticky stuff is a nightmare)
clayed the area, polish etc and there was no shadow, marks or evidence of the letters / numbers being there..

So I say go ahead!

I debadged our 2007 obsidian black C Class estate last year. No problem at all, only issue was a very faint 'ridge' (from accumulated road grime etc.) around where the lettering had been which polished off quite easily. No T Cut required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom