balljoint splitter size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
hi

does anyone happen to know the mm size of "fork" style balljoint splitter i will need to remove the front track rod ends on my 1994 W124 please? i am replacing the whole tie rod on both sides of the car prior to a 4 wheel geometry adjustement.

thanks

derek

Just undo the nut and give it a good wack with a big hammer. No real need for a splitter.

Thanks - i'll try the hammer approach 1st. I have a fork type that i got from halfords as i am replacing the whole tie road with ends i am not bothered about damaging the boot so a fork type will be fine - if it fits around the thread.

otherwise i'll get the cup. i'm a bit nervous about it due to the amount of hassle i had trying to split the balljoints on the Alfa (destroyed 1 cup balljoint splitter) and was a nightmare (Druk will agree here :D) - hopefully the W124 will be easier

I did mine of few weeks ago, replaced the whole tie rod (both sides, natch) and found they came apart without any problem. I think I used the pickle fork on one inner joint but that was easy enough.

If at first you don't succeed get a bigger hammer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom