Becker 7820 Volume Issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Feeble

Car
C43 AMG
I had to disconnect the battery in my C43 for some welding at the weekend. After I reconnected it and finding the code for the stereo, it seemed that it worked better than ever! It tuned in all the local radio stations itself, I was most impressed! But there is one thing that I cannot handle now, and I don't have a manual to tell me how to turn it off...

The stereo seems to adjust the volume depending on how fast I am driving. It really is not a feature that I like, and can't imagine getting used to that! It happens on CD or radio, at first I did think maybe the aerial wasn't plugged in properly, but that's not the case...

Has anyone come across this before, and know of a way to turn the feature off?

Many thanks in advance!

Hi
Yes it is a feature, not sure how you turn it off though....

Is there a setting called GAL or something like that - this is from memory. I'll have a dig around and see if I can work it out. Doesn't work on my becker because I never connected up a speed sensor.

SL300-24: sig. updated with the 126 already... nice!

http://www.directutor.com/sites/directutor6/files/user_manual/BECKER TRAFFIC PRO HIGH SPEED 7820.pdf

See page 61 "user menu" GAL Setting...

The User Menu is summoned by pressing the tone button (looks like 2 musical notes) for 2 seconds.

"The GAL is a car radio control circuit, which automatically
adjusts the car radio volume according to vehicle speed. This
results in compensation of the driving noise produced at higher
speeds.
Request the user menu. Press the multifunction button.
Using the right rotary control select either 0 or +15.
With the GAL setting, the start of volume adjustment can be
specified according to vehicle speed.
The setting is stored automatically.
Explanation:
• 0 - no volume increase
• +1 - volume is increased at low speed
• +15 - volume is increased at a higher speed"

That sounds like just the sort of answer I am looking for! Thanks very much mate, I will try that out first thing tomorrow! :)

Now I think about this, when I reconnected the stereo after getting the serial number, I do recall putting in one more connector than was originally used. Perhaps that was the speed sensor! :)

hi king dave - I don't suppose you would know the pin out assignments of a
becker footwell amp (1298200089) or becker 648.329-819.
I am trying to fit a tastefull looking original becker sound system to our r129 300sl 1992
cheers

No idea I'm afraid, I've never had one of those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom