Best scuff/scratch remover out of these three?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donza

I have notice a scuff on the rear valance/bumper of the W211. Not that noticeable, but it can be felt and there is a little damaged paint.

I'm to Halfords in a few hours. I have done some research and have narrowed it down to a few of the following
  1. Autoglym Paint Renovator
  2. Meguiar’s Scratch X
  3. CarPlan T-Cut Scratch Remover
Can anyone here recommend either of them due through personal use?

Have a good Sunday!

Cheers

Last edited:
Any polish or mild abrasive will do. Don't bother buying anything special if you've got soem Brasso lying in the cupboard.

Remember, wax adds layers on, polish takes layers off and no product can do both properly.

Any polish or mild abrasive will do. Don't bother buying anything special if you've got soem Brasso lying in the cupboard.

Remember, wax adds layers on, polish takes layers off and no product can do both properly.

I have some original T-cut and i do have some Brasso lying around.

Brasso? first i have ever heard of this one!

Brasso and T-cut are near as damn it the same product.

Meguiar’s Scratch X

Think i'm going to opt for this and then stick some super resin poilish on the bumper.

Then again i have heard good things about the autoglym stuff.

Scratch-x is a filler which will fill the scratch then wear off again leaving the initial scratch again.

Just polish it back then wax over to protect.

Scratch-x is a filler which will fill the scratch then wear off again leaving the initial scratch again.

I can vouch for this I have several scratchs that magically disapear having used scratch-X only to reappear when I next wash the car.:mad:

If you want a scratch removing rather than filling then my advice is to engage the services of a detailer.

Whatever you do, bin the t-cut. It's far too aggressive and will only do more damage.

If you're thinking of G3 then bear in mind it's a machine polish. Using it by hand only creates a swirly mess. Plus it's very dry and powdery so you will need lots of water mist to keep it working.

Mercedes paints of recent years (a lot of german paints actually) are very hard and need a machine to do the job properly. Especially the newer ceramic based clear coats.

I got into detailing out of despair at the awful work most bodyshops turn out. I was absolutely sick of rushed and unfinished workmanship so I did my research and got stuck in. I can tell you quite catagorically that it is not possible to machine polish a car in 2 hours, a generous figure for most bodyshops these days.

Silverline do a nice machine polisher for about 35 quid and some Menzerna 85RD is a great polish for most things. Once done, a good wax is essential to protect the newly exposed and shiny paint. Again, bodyshops do not do this, instead preferring to allow the paint to oxidise and dull off. BTW. Turtle wax is NOT a good wax. All the cheap ones are full of fillers which will wash out at next cleaning time.

Some good makes of product for reference:
Meguiars
Menzerna
Chemical Guys
Poorboys
Autoglym
Blackfire
Dodo Juice waxes
Rubbish Boy waxes
Victoria waxes
Zaino sealant system

Hope this helps.

Dom

Farecla make a scratch removal product in a tube that's slightly more aggressive than G3. It's excellent but you have to go easy with it and polish the area with something finer after using it. It's great for areas like under doorhandles where you get fingernail scratches

IMHO Brasso and T-Cut belong in the bin

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Farecla make a scratch removal product in a tube that's slightly more aggressive than G3. It's excellent but you have to go easy with it and polish the area with something finer after using it. It's great for areas like under doorhandles where you get fingernail scratches

IMHO Brasso and T-Cut belong in the bin

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Have just ordered some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom