Biodegradable Engine Loom?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jagr

Car
1994 E280, 1997 BMW 528I SE
Hi

I have a '94 E280 and after reading through the forums I was wondering
how do I know if I have a dodgy wiring loom? What do I look for?

Thanks

Your car does have the biodegradable loom fitted to it, but if I was you I would leave well alone......as soon as you start poking about with it, youre likely to cause problems as the insulation is very brittle.

Normally you can tell when its on its way out as your engine check light will stay on in the instrument display and your car may also suffer from wierd electrical stuff going on.....this could also be caused by your OVP relay, which is the more likely cause.

If you were determined to see what the state of your loom is, have a look at the loom where it sits under the cover covering the spark plugs.....carefully peel back the outer covering on the loom and you should see the various wire's that make up the loom......the insulation that covers the individual wires will be flaking and showing the copper if the loom is on its way out.....the touching of the uninsulated wires is what causes all of the wierd electrical problems.

It appears that cars with this bio degradable loom suffer more in hot climates, hence the reason why so many American owners have had to replace their looms........its not as common over here, but with most cars now over 10 years old, age is starting to catch up with a lot of these looms.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies.
I think I will listen to the advice and leave it alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom