• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Blackberry Bold 9700 / 9780 + MB fixed cradle

Rory

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
C270CDi Estate (late 2004 facelift model) - Bought 2005, Sold 2022.
Anyone running one of the above in the fixed MB cradle - any comments about it?

I just got a 9780 (I hope/assume it will work in the 9700 cradle as it's phyiscally identical to the 9700) and I'd like the fixed cradle as I have one with a Nokia 6310i and it works well. I just didn't expect to be £175 though and I'm humming and harring about whether it's worth it.

Shameless bump for the evening crew!

couldnt you just use a bluetooth cradle? Clicking a phone into a cradle is a bit old hat these days ;)

I could do, obviously, but I've been using a 6310i in a fixed cradle and it works very well. I was particularly thinking of the link to the external aerial - I was wondering how effective that was with the Blackberry cradle as there's no aerial connection on the 'phone.

And the charging, without having to think about it, is handy too.

The iPhone benefits greatly from using the car aerial and that doesn't have a connector.

The iPhone cradle is the best of both worlds IMHO. Clip in to charge and use external aerial or leave in pocket and connect by bluetooth.

Thanks - I nearly got an iPhone4 (did get one for wifey) and if there had been a cradle for it then that would probably have swung it. I even considered modifying a 3GS cradle.

But good call quality is most important to me and I was a little un-nerved with the comments about them being iffy. We have a few at work and some are fine and others aren't.

I managed to get my dad's blackberry bold 9700 to connect with a sap v2 bluetooth cradle.

It is a bit of a fiddle and mobile networks only must be specified in the options.

It didn't download the phone book but that may be possible.

Adam

I'm very bad with my cellphone, perhaps you can tell us more about how you did that?

On the manage connections window in the bold ensure bluetooth is on and it is set to "mobile networks only"

Then go to the bluetooth menu do not search for devices. I think you need to go to add device and then "Listen".

Now press and hold the bluetooth button on the sap module until the light starts flashing rapidly.

The comand should find the blackberry where you should call it from the comand and enter the 16 digit pin in the phone.

That should be it.

Adam

Just to confirm that I've got the 9700 cradle now (thanks Alfie) and the 9780 works fine in it. Contacts (I keep a tight list so there are only about 70) download fine.

I must admit that I didn't realise at first the connection between the phone and the cradle is bluetooth and once I found that out I was concerned the cradle might not recognise the phone but it's fine. People tell me the call quality is very good. I think it's very useful not to have to think about charging the phone - just pop it in the cradle and it takes care of that.

Interestingly, and it validates that I was correct to avoid iPhone4, is calls to wifey's iPhone4 when we're at home are sometimes going straight to answerphone whereas the BlackBerry is fine. We're only about 300yds from the local O2 mast and get full signal strength in the house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom