Bloody snow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Same with my car on new Michelin Primacy 3 Summer tyres.

When I first got the car it had new P600 on and I couldn't get it off the drive...well, not without a lot of pushing by Mrs Dm, after I had done a full 180...

I've had no trouble at all this year and even with the very worn Michelins on, it was Ok-ish.

I have the same tyres on my C320, I have driven on packed snow and ice and have had no issues at all as long as you drive with consideration for the conditions.

It could be the torque split being different or the narrower tyres, or more likely the fact that Continental M+S tyres made all the difference compared to summer P-Zeros even with 8mm tread!

I didn't even know that M&S did tyres. Food, Knickers and now tyres, what will they think of next.

I have just come back from Avoriaz in the e350 with winter tyres on (Vredstein extreme). Then done another 500 miles here in the snow and ice.

My thoughts are that the Merc is not as good as wifes a4 fwd with Winters. hers holds road far better. At first I was dissapointed.

But:

1) My tyres are wider 245,45 ,17
2) I am RWD what did I expect
3) I never got stuck even on the steepest inclines in deep snow and on sheet ice.
4) The back end did start to go a few times but all the esp, abs trickery is nothing short of stunning. I turned it off a couple of times and played in the car park. Then turned it back on!!!
5) The electronic wizardry AND the Winter Tyres make the Merc perfectly driveable in the Snow and ice....Just still take a bit of care.

Great cars!!

I have just come back from Avoriaz in the e350 with winter tyres on (Vredstein extreme). Then done another 500 miles here in the snow and ice.

My thoughts are that the Merc is not as good as wifes a4 fwd with Winters. hers holds road far better. At first I was dissapointed.

Same tyres on both cars?

Mate had to be pushed out of the car park on Saturday in his A6 Quattro.
Made me chuckle as he had been banging on about how the snow hasn't been a problem for him.

gIzzE said:
Mate had to be pushed out of the car park on Saturday in his A6 Quattro.
Made me chuckle as he had been banging on about how the snow hasn't been a problem for him.

If the snow is very deep you need a higher ground clearance. My v8 sport x5 could tackle deep snow and ice on standard summer tyres. X drive allowed power to be sent to the axel that needed it most. It was immense. My winter shod C class is a mess in comparison.

It was about 2" deep.
It was just one of those occasions were none of the wheels were biting, just made us all laugh as he had been banging on about his "Quattro" 10 minutes before.

Bit late but finally figured out how to load pictures.

image-3671954731.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom