Busted in France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You make that decision all the time when you drive. Overtaking is a prime example, you overtake when its clear to do so. 99999/100000 times this will go to plan, however, the person you overtake make swerve at hit you for no apparent reason. You've taken the steps to make sure the maneuver is safe, but you've still been in a collision. This is my very own experience of two weeks ago.

I took steps to make sure I was not endangering myself and others, signaled in good time, made my move when it was clear, car well positioned and suitably lit for the time of the day.

My point is what, well, you cannot control the actions of others. I think the rioting in London also proves that point, you can minimize your risk to others stupidity but you cannot eradicate it.
I am not doubting any of the above, most of us drive on the motorway in good weather at around 80ph, it has become the de facto speed limit for the majority but if want to minimize your risk then driving at excessive speed is not the way to do it. By excessive I mean over 100mph as most people on UK roads are simply not attuned to other vehicles coming up at these speeds. Of course there wil always be idiots who drive well within the limits who are dangerous

So if 70 and 71 pose the same risk, why limit. You have to draw the line in the sand somewhere and come up with an arbitrary figure. That figure is higher in Germany, higher in France, Spain, Italy, etc. Are we perhaps being over cautious. I posed the question about crashing at 70mph and 120mph. Both speeds if a complete collision with a barrier will result in instant death, so what is the difference if once car is doing 70 and the other 120. If they both crash, they both die...I really do not want to get into a debate on this but that statement is just not true, there are so many other factors involved in a crash being survivable. A lot of vehicles do crash at 70mph plus and the occupants sometimes survive. I remember an incident some years ago where an SLK rolled at 140mph on an autobahn and the driver came out with minor bruising.

Regarding the new forest, if you find it so dangerous to drive there, why drive there? Have you taken steps to contact your local police force, your local MP to raise the issue of excessive speed? Have you tried to do ANYTHING about it other than raise it here. I can think of an area in Helensburgh where double parking causes a major hazard, so I take a different route when there is an event on. Others just complain about it. I've contacted the local MP and police about the issue. Nothing has been done, but no one can say I didn't try.
Why not drive there? do you suggest we let some idiots behaviour make us change how we live? In answer to your question yes I and others have contacted the Police and the MP's covering the area as I have on two occasions recently had to assit in clearing away and humanely despatching two ponies and a cow hit by by speeding drivers, We know they were speeding as one was chased and caught by the Police who recorded him travelling at speeds in excess of 85mph.

I'll give you a different analogy. I took the train to work once this winter (which to me is thoroughly unpleasant, I detest doing it), I knew the roads would not be gritted and I could probably try and make it, the odds of someone else getting it wrong that day would pose too great a risk to my safety and well being-i.e. the chances of being in a collision were too high for my liking. I took the train and reduced my risk. If other people want to crash into each other and kill each other, let them was my thought process, I'll take a side seat...

Once the roads were cleared, I drove, at a much more sedate pace than I would in the summer. And I still hit black ice, but I knew there was a chance of that and drove slower to compensate. Looking back, I may take the train more often this winter, as really, some of the conditions are really vile and the chances of a knock are higher.
Not sure what point this is making?

Vice versa you cannot wrap people up in cotton wool either. There is a real world out there. Part of being human is getting it wrong, no matter what the consequence may be. Its a part of life.
Never suggested this, see my coments on regukation etc.
For those who have no rational judgement, there is life beyond the road. Something else will get them. They may take up this "planking hobby" that is gripping Australia. Let them. We have laws and speed limits and I do take your point, you are not born knowing this and people do need guidance, as the majority of them are pretty stupid.

However are traffic cars hiding in laybys (on roads which are safe to travel a little above the NSL) and giving chase to someone who is not a danger to anyone really the answer. Are hiding cameras behind signs on good overtaking spots really the answer? No, its a money raising exercise.

A thing I liked were signs on the A93 saying how many people died in specific sites over a year. THAT made you think about your speed and actions a lot more than a hidden camera taking £60 of your hard earned. Yes, we should see more of these!

There comes a time, when enough people break a minor law, that it becomes decriminalized. Consider Americas policy on Alcohol, our near decriminalizing of canibis.

Would it be so bad if the motorway NSL became 80 just because that become the norm?
Completely agree with this and indeed many of your comments, We are actually in agreement on the vast majority of comments in these posts, unfortunately it is difficult to get the correct context in "text"

Have a good evening, I am going to damage a few more liver cells with a cheeky litltle claret:thumb:

Last edited:
Just because your car is capable of reaching 160mph etc does not mean you are capable. If it helps your macho ego trip to denigrate others in this way so be it. I have never at any point suggested that we should all stick hard and fast to the limits. Yes you are correct that the limits are set so that the lowest common denominator should be able to cope but driver training in the UK is poor and traffic density is increasing. For the majority of people within the nornal ranges in terms of eyesight and reactions then clearly the current limits are low but take that "average" person when they are tired, stressed etc and human performance drops off but we are very poor at noticing that and applying self regulation.

I have no macho ego. Like many of the others here I have a car that will do 155mph (ish). Like most of the others here I'm perfectly capable of handling a car in a straight line at 155mph, it's like 77.5mph, just twice as quick.

Tired and stressed people need to stay out of their cars.

I have no macho ego. Like many of the others here I have a car that will do 155mph (ish). Like most of the others here I'm perfectly capable of handling a car in a straight line at 155mph, it's like 77.5mph, just twice as quick.

To take the latter point of tired and stressed people, well they do get in cars, we all have done so and that willl not change. 155mph in Germany where the people are used to very fast traffic works, over here would you think it safe? Not that you would get far before the blue lights were in your mirrors.

DSM1000: I'm not going to discuss my past exploits on the UK roads, suffice to say I'm sure you'd not be surprised that the blue lights in the mirror have occurred on multiple occasions and my license is not exactly clean.

In Germany driving at high speeds is very difficult for two reasons, one is that the standard of driver attention isn't much different to the rest of europe and some people still don't bother with mirrors, the other is that at 120+ in the uk the only thing catching you has blue lights and two cops pretending not to enjoy chasing you, in Germany it's the drivers of chipped and delimited RS6s and 911turbos and they're closing in on you with an 80mph differential of their own.

The "speed kills" mantra is a dumbing down of a complex argument, speed limits are essential to allow policing of the roads and have an acceptable standard, and by choosing to use the UK roads we choose to be regulated and punished according to them. I'm not saying this should be any other way, but nothing makes any speed safe, only being safe makes something safe. Speed is a factor that needs consideration but in itself is neither bad, nor unsafe. You can drive forever on bald tyres and never have an accident, but it's deemed unsafe, you are deemed to require tread (ironically so you can drive faster) and so you comply with the law or receive a punishment. You can drive forever in the daytime without working headlights, but it's illegal. Lots of things are illegal on grounds of safety but really are only illegal in order to have some way of maintaining a sense of order and fairness on the roads.

Drink driving never killed anyone. Crashing into things / people / ditches while drink driving has killed many. So we ban drink driving, yet people still drink and drive, and others drive without drinking but still crash into things / people / ditches and kill many.

Maybe the safest thing to do is ban driving?!

Sorry to say that I find your reply exactly in the same vein as your original post. I have no "concerns": rather I just don't have the time of day for visitors who think they can play at boy racers just because they're abroad. Unfortunately, it seems to be a British speciality, since it's very rare to see Germans, Dutch or Belgians behaving in such an obnoxious way, whereas the British have now acquired a very bad reputation. Which I regret, especially since it's the minority that, once again, spoil things for the majority of friendly, respectful visitors.

You say " Yes in France, it's technically breaking the law" . No. It is breaking the law. And to my way of thinking, just plain loutish behaviour. Would you be happy for bands of Germans to race up and down the roads near your home? I think not.

I was always taught that when you are a guest, then a minimum of respect and courtesy is due to your hosts. Obviously you have different standards, so we must agree to differ.

Your assertion that you take "a calculated risk" is again proof of your immaturity and lack of respect. Can't you understand that the French (and I agree) don't want you taking your "calculated risks" on their roads, don't want you calculating the cost to their families.

The latest measures taken to eradicate this behaviour have been welcomed by most people here. These include on-the-spot confiscation of foreign driving licences and impounding of the vehicle for speeding.

PS thank-you for the welcome. A shame to start of on a disagreable note.

I see that during my absence, the conversation has continued at a rather rapid rate!
Most of what I would have said has been covered, but I feel I should add the following.

While I cannot speak for all the British who drive in Fance, you cannot tar everyone with the same brush.

I am fully aware that your brush has covered me, and I am in no doubt you have a mental image of me tearing around the French road system at full speed, with flagrant disregard for anything or anyone and to hell with anyone who dare drive slower than I.
I can only repeat that this is simply not me.

Your comment "Would you be happy for bands of Germans to race up and down the roads near your home? I think not.", seems to imply that I drive very fast around surface streets where kiddies may be playing and traffic drives slower. To do so would be idiotic and down right dangerous.
I would only break the speed limit (and the law) when it is safe to do so on the likes of motorways and dual carriageways.

My reference to "calculating risks" implies that I look at all the available conditions, making an informed decision as to when I drive quickly.
This means I will look at road type and surface conditions, prevailing weather conditions, traffic conditions, my own physical state, my car's health and my awareness of others.
I agree that other drivers may not be aware of me, but this is one aspect my advanced driving course focussed on to improve. By being anticipating what other drivers may do, reduces to risk to myself and them when I choose to drive at higher speeds.
Most of time in the motorways are spent at (or around) the speed limit. When conditions allow, my speed may increase. Needless to say I do not drive flat out whenever there is a stretch of clear Autoroute.
I can't see how ignoring a "speed limit" alone, when conditions allow, makes me immature.
If I am caught, then on my head be it.

Finally, there is nothing wrong with a healthy debate. The issue under discussion is somewhat contenious, with two clear camps.
So long as it never gets personal or nasty, it's a positive action :thumb:

Darren

Very well said. the post you rightly criticised was just typical of the selfish, arrogant and loutish behaviour most of us witness day to day be it on the roads or elsewhere. If you wish to drive at high speed go to where it is legal and expected like some sections of the autobahn or a race track.

The "calculated risk" comment was outrageous, what "calculations" were these and based on what data and scientific knowledge and principles? That, for the benefit of our speeder was a rhetorical question.

I disagree with a lot of speed limits, some I drive through are clearly low in relation to the area, some others to me seem too high, there are also laws I find disagreeable but I choose to live in a sociery and take the many benefits pertaining to that. If we all pick and choose which law or regulaton we will follow there is then no longer a true society and whilst it could be argued that it is a broken one in many ways it is all we have so work with it and respect others.:thumb:

Hello DSM10000,

I see you, too, are a relatively new member, so welcome to MBClub.co.uk and to this discussion. From your posts it is clear you are firmly in the same camp as tode.
I see you have had extensive conversations with other members, and on points I may have made, so for this post I will focus on the references you have made to me directly.
From discu

I do not see how driving above the speed limit alone can be seen as "selfish", "arrogant" or "loutish".
Now if it was a case of excessive speed in the wrong conditions, then yes one could describe others as such.
As before I make the point that, while I have driven at very high speeds, I am not the type of person to travel and ten tenths where I go. Even when conditions allow on a dual carriageway or motorway, I may wish decide to stick to the NSL.

You have referred to my calculations comments as "outrageous". I cannot add anymore to this, only reiterate my sentiments in my post above.
It calculate from a view of reading current conditions and awareness, taking the risk to drive above the speed limit at that point in my journey.
You intended it a rhetorical question, however it's a point you have aimed squarely at me with your "our speeder" comment, so I'm sure you understand why I offered a rebuttal :)

Darren

We drive regularly to Germany and back, and on the same autoroute with the same traffic conditions the speed limit sometimes changes by 10 kph either way as you cross from one country to the next. How can the same speed be safe/respectable one minute and dangerous/irresponsible/reckless the next ... just because you're now in a different country? Obviously it is illegal though and you should accept the consequences if caught - nobody is disputing that.

For the record we tend to cruise at around 120 kph till we reach Germany (often not much faster there, although in perfect conditions we have done up to 120 mph on unrestricted roads).

The lines get a bit blurry and you cannot hear the music as well as there is a roar from the wind...its frightfully un Mercedes like but what the hell, its fun:D:D

PS DSM10000 sometimes over 100mph is not excessive....

Hello DSM10000,

I see you, too, are a relatively new member, so welcome to MBClub.co.uk and to this discussion. From your posts it is clear you are firmly in the same camp as tode.
I see you have had extensive conversations with other members, and on points I may have made, so for this post I will focus on the references you have made to me directly.
From discu

I do not see how driving above the speed limit alone can be seen as "selfish", "arrogant" or "loutish".
Now if it was a case of excessive speed in the wrong conditions, then yes one could describe others as such.
As before I make the point that, while I have driven at very high speeds, I am not the type of person to travel and ten tenths where I go. Even when conditions allow on a dual carriageway or motorway, I may wish decide to stick to the NSL.

You have referred to my calculations comments as "outrageous". I cannot add anymore to this, only reiterate my sentiments in my post above.
It calculate from a view of reading current conditions and awareness, taking the risk to drive above the speed limit at that point in my journey.
You intended it a rhetorical question, however it's a point you have aimed squarely at me with your "our speeder" comment, so I'm sure you understand why I offered a rebuttal :)

Darren
Darren

As I posted a little further up I am not against speed per se and do not, I feel falll into any camp. It is, as I stated dificult to get across the full contextual basis of ones thoughts etc merely by the exchange in these multiple posts,

My point was / is that some people do not apply any thought to speed or general road behaviour, they drive with no concern to others and speed excessively in areas where it is clearly inappropriate.

At no times was I trying to make things personal but am possibly guilty of taking your remarks out of the context in which you wished them to be read and understood.

If we had been sitting around the dinner table discussing this I am sure we would have found more that we agreed on than disagreed?

Regards

David

Last edited:
thanks to all for your comment on speeding i will be driving from hull to spain on the 16th sep :bannana:

looking for B/B or Hotel when driving thru france any help

looking for B/B or Hotel when driving thru france any help

Personally I never book ahead. I just decide when I've had enough for the day, fire up the lap top, look at Autoroute and ring around the local hotels for a room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom