Buying An Old 1978 Scooter For Registration Plate!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
Hi

i have the opportunity to purchase a registration plate for my wife, which has here 3 letter name as the 1st 3 letters and then 3 numbers and V.

ie XXX 123V (XXX is not her name by the way :rolleyes: )

The reg number is currently the original one which is currently on the scooter.

its very cheap but means i have to buy the old 70s scooter to get it. The scooter hasnt got a V5 document but looks like i can apply for a new one for just over £20.

My question is: is it as simple to:

(1) buy the scooter
(2) apply for the V5
(3) transfer the registration number to my wife's car
(4) scrap or sell on the scooter

?? it seems a cheap way to get a suffix reg number but i dont want to get stuck with an old scooter and not be allowed to transfer the reg number (as thats all i want it for).

problems i can see: (can anyone confirm that it will be ok as per below)>

(1) not being able to get a V5... (the scooter is a good runner apparently)
(2) if i apply for a new V5, i dont want a new reg number - the original one needs to stay on the scooter....

Urgent replies needed as scooter is not for sale for long....

thanks

Derek.
:)

Last edited:
The scooter hasnt got a V5 document but looks like i can apply for a new one for just over £20.
Why does it cost £20? I thought you just filled in a form?
To change the number you will need to get the bike taxed and MOTed.

edit...
Other things to consider...
If the bike has already had a plate change the one that's on it now won't be transferable.
If someone's sent the original V5 back with the 'scrapped' box ticked that number won't be available.

Last edited:
SilverSaloon said:
Hi

i have the opportunity to purchase a registration plate for my wife, which has here 3 letter name as the 1st 3 letters and then 3 numbers and V.

ie XXX 123V (XXX is not her name by the way :rolleyes: )

The reg number is currently the original one which is currently on the scooter.

its very cheap but means i have to buy the old 70s scooter to get it. The scooter hasnt got a V5 document but looks like i can apply for a new one for just over £20.

My question is: is it as simple to:

(1) buy the scooter
(2) apply for the V5
(3) transfer the registration number to my wife's car
(4) scrap or sell on the scooter

?? it seems a cheap way to get a suffix reg number but i dont want to get stuck with an old scooter and not be allowed to transfer the reg number (as thats all i want it for).

problems i can see: (can anyone confirm that it will be ok as per below)>

(1) not being able to get a V5... (the scooter is a good runner apparently)
(2) if i apply for a new V5, i dont want a new reg number - the original one needs to stay on the scooter....

Urgent replies needed as scooter is not for sale for long....

thanks

Derek.
:)

I may be interested in the scooter afterwards.
I have a friend who is always after old ones.
Depends what it is, of course.

looks like it could be more hassle than its worth:

i would need to apply for a V5
MOT the bike (may require fixing up due to its age)
TAX the bike

to tax it would mean i would have to insure it :(

looking like its probably not worth all the hassle....... :confused:

I don't know how much this idea ould have cost, but the DVLA sells the number plates you are describing at a very reasonable price and no hassle.

eg XXX 7V

Nip onto their site and have a play.

When you telephone the operator is usually most helpful and they might even suggest a combination you have not even thought off.

Good luck,
John

glojo said:
I don't know how much this idea ould have cost, but the DVLA sells the number plates you are describing at a very reasonable price and no hassle.

eg XXX 7V

Nip onto their site and have a play.

When you telephone the operator is usually most helpful and they might even suggest a combination you have not even thought off.

Good luck,
John

my wifes name is KAY. All KAY SUFFIX (ie KAY 123V) number plates are over £1000.

Scooter is £150 :)

Hi Silversaloon,
I had a brief look

W888 KAY

W222 KAY and numerous other combinations are actually £599 which is still quite expensive.......

But your good lady is worth it :cool: ;)

Regards,
John

You could have a new stlye plate for £799 (eg AA02 KAY)
or for £250 you could have K4 Yxx (disclaimer - don't blame me if you get nicked for spacing it wrong!)

The ruling about requiring an MOT to be able to transfer a plate sucks!

Was gonna say,the rule about it being MOTed is there for sure,but not sure about the tax,last time i transfered one it didn't have to be taxed,just put a s.o.r.n. statement on it.

Depending on the make of scooter this could be an excellent project.

If it's a Honda or Yamaha step through then it's not worth doing, if however it's a Vespa or better still a Lambretta then you will make a minor killing on the sale of the bike.

Getting a scooter through an MOT is easy, if you chat to the examiner enough you might not even need to get it out of the van you have delivered it in....Slightly lax !!!!!! :crazy: ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom