C-Class 350e - Your charging experiences

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Chargemaster are now booked to attend on the 17th of November to install my home charger.

Do those that have home charging facilities leave the vehicle connected overnight or just for a few hours?

Also was wondering how many kW are used to charge the battery on average, have one eye on the electricity cost of course.

Chargemaster are now booked to attend on the 17th of November to install my home charger.

Do those that have home charging facilities leave the vehicle connected overnight or just for a few hours?

Also was wondering how many kW are used to charge the battery on average, have one eye on the electricity cost of course.

I charged mine today at a street charger and the good news is that it went seamlessly. I may have cracked it and hopefully it will be the same in future.

Before all that @ quonker I can tell you that I got an email, whilst in a cafe having a coffee, from Mercedes telling me that my car was 100% charged after about an hour and a half. In fact when I got back to the car the charger was showing that about 5.5 kw had been delivered. I decided to leave it on for another 15 minutes or so and finally pulled the plug at 5.8 kw. On a previous occasion I got it up to just over 6kw and that was probably the limit. So I think you can expect to buy 6kw on each charge, assuming it can take a full charge.

I found the proceedure to operate a Chargemaster post from an iPad is achieved best by firstly connecting the cable to the car and then using the iPad to connect to the post. Don't stay in the car because you need to keep an eye on the socket port and not the iPad because the software will keep reporting that it is going through a connection process which in fact may have been achieved. When the port flips open connect the other cable as soon as possible and no matter what the iPad is reporting just watch the post information screen to tell you that charging has commenced.

I have been making the mistake, I think, of watching the iPad screen and all that I have seen is a message saying the connection has failed. This is because I have been waiting for the "commence charging" messsage and only then have I connected the cable, too late I think because the next message I got was "failed" with an option to press the start again button.

I will try again somewhere tomorrow just to test my theory. Keep my fingers crossed :)

P.S. Todate all charges at posts have been free of charge :)

Last edited:
C350e order

Hi all
I have just been told that i will have my c350e next April. When would be the best time to order mt box for my home?

Also which provider is the best i live in Merseyside.

Thanks.

350e, following on from post regarding charging in other thread.

I have a 4m wide pavement in front my office door to the car. I run the cable under a low rise bright yellow ramp. This is the link to the company I used below.
Rubber Cable Covers - The Ramp People
I researched several options, but the key was finding something with a very low gradual rise to avoid it being a trip hazard. P
I have a clear view from where I work so that can see exactly what is going on outside whilst it is charging, I certainly wouldn't leave it unattended as you never know what people might do, or claim!
The cover comes in 1m lengths, so I have screwed two together so I only have one joint that comes apart.
The pavement in front of my office has a low pedestrian foot fall during the week, especially first thing in the morning, would I do this if it was busy, probably not.

Ordered two units today, should be with me tomorrow, to cover two metres of pathway so thanks for the tip and link.

Had my electrician install my Rolec Pod and am giving the car its first home charge :)

For those without off street parking or like me no electricity in my garage the Rolec Pod at about £80, two metres of cable protector, linked above, for £35 and £90 for installation is a good solution.

Here is my pod installed.

Attachments

• Studio_20151104_140746.jpg
    Studio_20151104_140746.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 40
Ordered two units today, should be with me tomorrow, to cover two metres of pathway so thanks for the tip and link.

Had my electrician install my Rolec Pod and am giving the car its first home charge :)

For those without off street parking or like me no electricity in my garage the Rolec Pod at about £80, two metres of cable protector, linked above, for £35 and £90 for installation is a good solution.

Here is my pod installed.

So what is the difference between the Rolec Pod and an ouside IP55 socket wired back to the consumer unit on its own circuit with RCD? Does the pod have the type 2 charger socket fitted?

Just curious as I'm currently debating either a home charger station or the outside socket, but now you've thrown the pod into the equation :D

So what is the difference between the Rolec Pod and an ouside IP55 socket wired back to the consumer unit on its own circuit with RCD? Does the pod have the type 2 charger socket fitted?

Just curious as I'm currently debating either a home charger station or the outside socket, but now you've thrown the pod into the equation :D

I don't know :(

My electrician told me that the top window housed the RCD , new term to me. The socket is just the common or garden 13 amp type. It is connected at the other end to a dedicated trip device in the existing consumer unit. Again I write this without fully understanding any of it :)

I don't know :(

My electrician told me that the top window housed the RCD , new term to me. The socket is just the common or garden 13 amp type. It is connected at the other end to a dedicated trip device in the existing consumer unit. Again I write this without fully understanding any of it :)

Residual Current Device

Used to be called Earth Leakage Circuit Breakers with is more descriptive of what they do. Basically they measure the current flowing through the live supply wire and then compare it with the current through the neutral return wire and any difference must have leaked to earth - possibly through your body in the form of an electric shock. Any power mains outlet outside must be protected by an RCD. They usually trip at 30mA although that can vary.

Residual Current Device

Used to be called Earth Leakage Circuit Breakers with is more descriptive of what they do. Basically they measure the current flowing through the live supply wire and then compare it with the current through the neutral return wire and any difference must have leaked to earth - possibly through your body in the form of an electric shock. Any power mains outlet outside must be protected by an RCD. They usually trip at 30mA although that can vary.

Thanks for that, most interesting. I think the electrician spoke about a 16 number, would have said 16 amps, again not sure what it represented but my understanding that it would be crucial and I wonder if it is instead of the 30 number that you reference. Could it be serving the same purpose but at a lower figure ?

Have now received my cable ramp, from the Ramp People, and here it is doing a job :)

Attachments

• File 06-11-2015, 14 03 14.jpg
    File 06-11-2015, 14 03 14.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 69
I'm envious of the long cable...the coiled versions feel a bit too short for my liking!

I'm living in a flat at the moment so no chance to charge at home, but looking forward to moving in the next few months to a house with a drive and a handily placed wall to get a charging point added.

I wish the car kept a tally of how often you charged it up and how many kilowatts used, would be quite interesting to see the savings vs petrol over a year.

I'm envious of the long cable...the coiled versions feel a bit too short for my liking!

I'm living in a flat at the moment so no chance to charge at home, but looking forward to moving in the next few months to a house with a drive and a handily placed wall to get a charging point added.

I wish the car kept a tally of how often you charged it up and how many kilowatts used, would be quite interesting to see the savings vs petrol over a year.

Perhaps too late for you but the 8 foot cable is a no cost option which I knew from the outset I would need.

I wonder if one of those inexpensive consumption meters, Eon gave me one years ago, would do the job of showing the kilowatt consumption ? I think I still have it and I might just search for it and try it out.

I have noticed that Mercedes send me an email advising that the car is 100% charged but that is at odds with the charging unit which continues to show that charging is still in progress and appears to last for another 15 minutes before the charging stopped lights display.

Hi All

First night of charging mine last night using the standard plug fitted to an "out the box B&Q special" and I'm pleased to report no issues. Was a bit nervous leaving on over night for the first time but all ok.

Some questions to the current owners - I haven't received an email confirming its full, although all lights on the plug socket confirm it.
I also have an error message appearing on the connect me app saying "Note

Your settings will be transferred to the vehicle as soon as there is a data connection to the vehicle.
A renewed change in the settings is possible only when transfer has been completed."

Now as much I understand the message, I can't seem to get the car to update. I have taken it to an area where my phone gets 4G and then looked but still nothing.

Any advice please? Secondly this is the list I have, does this mirror what some of you are having or due to mine be a lease vehicle do I have deactivated?
Accident Recovery
Deactivating
Live Traffic Information
Inactive
Breakdown Management
Deactivating
Vehicle Tracker
Deactivating
Mercedes-Benz emergency call system
Inactive
Parked Vehicle Locator
Deactivating
Geofencing
Deactivating
Route Planning
Deactivating
Remote Door Locking and Unlocking
Deactivating
Remote Retrieval of Vehicle Status
Deactivating
Programming of charging settings and Pre-Entry Climate Control
Deactivating
Maintenance Management
Deactivating
Telediagnostics
Deactivating

And lastly - Do I assume I can't do any of the cool pre heat stuff on phone as I have no connection?

Thank you and excuse long post.

Hard to know quite what you are experiencing without a little more.
Have to say my first thought was that your car has not been activated on the system.

Do you have the MercedesMe app on a device which shows state of car, fuel levels, if the car is locked and so on ?

Have you tried using a WiFi connection via your home broadband?

I presume that your phone pairs with the car via Bluetooth ?

Hi All

First night of charging mine last night using the standard plug fitted to an "out the box B&Q special" and I'm pleased to report no issues. Was a bit nervous leaving on over night for the first time but all ok.

Some questions to the current owners - I haven't received an email confirming its full, although all lights on the plug socket confirm it.
I also have an error message appearing on the connect me app saying "Note

Your settings will be transferred to the vehicle as soon as there is a data connection to the vehicle.
A renewed change in the settings is possible only when transfer has been completed."

Now as much I understand the message, I can't seem to get the car to update. I have taken it to an area where my phone gets 4G and then looked but still nothing.

Any advice please? Secondly this is the list I have, does this mirror what some of you are having or due to mine be a lease vehicle do I have deactivated?
Accident Recovery
Deactivating
Live Traffic Information
Inactive
Breakdown Management
Deactivating
Vehicle Tracker
Deactivating
Mercedes-Benz emergency call system
Inactive
Parked Vehicle Locator
Deactivating
Geofencing
Deactivating
Route Planning
Deactivating
Remote Door Locking and Unlocking
Deactivating
Remote Retrieval of Vehicle Status
Deactivating
Programming of charging settings and Pre-Entry Climate Control
Deactivating
Maintenance Management
Deactivating
Telediagnostics
Deactivating

And lastly - Do I assume I can't do any of the cool pre heat stuff on phone as I have no connection?

Thank you and excuse long post.

Welcome Stu-350e.

Can't comment on the techy bits about connected/deactivated/inactive.

I am told that my lease company believe these services to be subscription and not included in my lease costs. I have been told I could subscribe myself but other lease companies will flat out refuse based on previous discussion in the "OTHER" thread. Some talk of a lease version of connect me services coming but no timescales etc etc. Best checking your lease company for specifics - I am checking this week that mine (Automotive) will indeed allow me to subscribe as I have been told.

I can currently set my heating to come on and off in my 5 series BMW and believe that this can be done from the c350e in any case.

For information I have my car coming next month via NHS fleet solutions from Automotive.

Regards

Tom

One thing I have noticed at our local supermarket is that regular cars are usually parked in the EV bays because they are close to the entrance. I guess this is an irritation you have to live with in the same vain as those parking in parent and child bays when they have no kids.

This must drive the owners of pure ev's mad if they are running low.

One thing I have noticed at our local supermarket is that regular cars are usually parked in the EV bays because they are close to the entrance. I guess this is an irritation you have to live with in the same vain as those parking in parent and child bays when they have no kids.

This must drive the owners of pure ev's mad if they are running low.

Worth mentioning to customer services pointing out that you don't have the problem elsewhere :)

350e said:
Worth mentioning to customer services pointing out that you don't have the problem elsewhere :)

Yes probably will if it happens when my car is delivered.

Welcome Stu-350e.

Can't comment on the techy bits about connected/deactivated/inactive.

I am told that my lease company believe these services to be subscription and not included in my lease costs. I have been told I could subscribe myself but other lease companies will flat out refuse based on previous discussion in the "OTHER" thread. Some talk of a lease version of connect me services coming but no timescales etc etc. Best checking your lease company for specifics - I am checking this week that mine (Automotive) will indeed allow me to subscribe as I have been told.

I can currently set my heating to come on and off in my 5 series BMW and believe that this can be done from the c350e in any case.

For information I have my car coming next month via NHS fleet solutions from Automotive.

Regards

Tom
Cheers Tom

So I am using Leaseplan and they have confirmed they are ok with it. I had an email from Mercedes while the car was being PDi'd confirming that the connect me was set up. It appears the issue seems to be more about the connection or comms out of the car. Sounds daft but I'm wondering if i have to leave my phone in there and then try and set up with the laptop. My phone shows a personal hotspot with my phone when ever I am in it.

Some other updates.

Full charge over night gave me 14 miles on electric.

Any one used or set up with Chargemaster? Was in MK and Olney today and both were with them. After looking it seems free for 6 months and the £7.95 a month, guess will have to measure my usage and weigh up the cost.

I absolutely love the car, its amazing. Anyone reading this with one on order will not be disappointed.

Cheers

Maidenhead. I see you wrote that the car does not record how many KW of charge it has used. Does it tell you after each charge at the time? I am wanting to order a home charger, but the Chargers don't tell you how much has been used. I will need to know to claim back the cost on my company expenses.

Cheers Tom

So I am using Leaseplan and they have confirmed they are ok with it. I had an email from Mercedes while the car was being PDi'd confirming that the connect me was set up. It appears the issue seems to be more about the connection or comms out of the car. Sounds daft but I'm wondering if i have to leave my phone in there and then try and set up with the laptop. My phone shows a personal hotspot with my phone when ever I am in it.

Some other updates.

Full charge over night gave me 14 miles on electric.

Any one used or set up with Chargemaster? Was in MK and Olney today and both were with them. After looking it seems free for 6 months and the £7.95 a month, guess will have to measure my usage and weigh up the cost.

I absolutely love the car, its amazing. Anyone reading this with one on order will not be disappointed.

Cheers

If you read my earlier posts you will see that I am using Chargemaster and I used one the other day at one of the 6 pods outside John Lewis.

Important to note you don't need to sign up for the £7.95 per month deal. Just download the Polar Instant App to a smartphone or tablet, I use an iPad mini, pay £20 to open the account and you are done. MK don't charge parking just a simple one off charge per visit of £1.70, check their website.
So at a charger in the premium area near John Lewis you can stay for two hours for £1.70 instead of £4.00 :)

Two hours will fill you up :)

P.S where is the charger in Olney ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom