C Class coupe Panoramic roof

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smiddyboy1

Car
W203 C320CDI Sport Edition, W203 C200K (Coupe), 219 CLS350, S-Type, 316 CDI Sprinter
Hi All,
Girlfiend has just bought a C Class Coupe with a panoramic roof, only the roof will open but not close!!!
When you try to close it, it makes a clicking noise as though its jumping teeth in the mechanism (best way to describe it). If you give it a little help along with your hand then it closes no problem.
The visor part doesnt seem to be sliding along so could this be the visor that has maybe came of a rail and jamming the glass roof????

Any help would be appreciated.

Brian

anyone??? or perhaps an idea of who could fix it - Indy doesn't want to know (he did a 211 and said he'd never do one again) and wouldn't like to pay the dealer prices

Thanks for the reply- Not good news at all!!!!!! Hope its not the same as they one BlackC55 was working on

Last edited:
Just a little update,

The roof is now working without any problems, stripped the whole thing out (heck of a job!!!) cleaned all the old grease off, found a broken plastic part that had been stuck in the track (I think someone has tried to repair it before and possibly changed some part as the plastic item doesn't match anything that came off) cleaned it up and re-greased it all.
I Changed the electrical motor (£244) as the gears has been stripped -possibly when the roof was trying to close and jamming with the plastic part wedged in the rail, re-built it and now works a treat.
It appears the gears on the motor are made from a soft metal and designed to strip rather that doing any further damage to the roof assembly (mainly stretching the cable)
As for the cables stretching (in the other post)- I don't seem to understand this one... They push the mechanism along the rail to open the roof and pull to close and are already flexible, I pulled at them thinking it was them to blame and they just returned to their original shape (no matter how hard you pull). But lined them up onto the motor and manually opened the roof to check everything was working as it should before re-fitting it to the car.
Whilst the roof was disassembled I emailed the roof manufacturers for new cables, thinking that was causing it, and they cables ARE available to buy!!! so if anyone has a roof that's needing new cables then drop them an email and dont go paying the main dealer £2500 for a new roof frame, As the dealers don't sell the cables separately.

I've got a few photos if anyone's thinking of trying to repair theirs as it seem to be a bit of a problem on the various Mercedes sites.

Brian.

Well done on fixing it up yourself!
Would make a good 'how to' thread on the sunroof...

Last edited:
well done as this is a common problem... so who exactly is it the manufactures the cable?

Yes - absolutely well done!!:bannana:

Hope i never need it - but i agree, this would probably top all the "how to's"

well done on fixin it yourself, sounds like a big job

I'll give it a try but to be honest I was paying more attention to where all the bits go rather than taking pictures for a write up - kinda just a log of what has been done to the car.
My girlfriend has just got it and when you tried to open or close it it made the noise a jackhammer would make, so I thought I couldn't make it any worse and theres no point having it if it doesn't work, so I gave it a go and it turned out worthwhile.
well done as this is a common problem... so who exactly is it the manufactures the cable?
Its Webasto, and the emails I got from the guy was very good! I was expecting a "contact your local dealership and buy a complete new roof" but I was pleasantly surprised to say the least.
Here is one of the emails I received (edited tho) If anyone needs the contact details I can PM them.
Subject; C-Class Panorama Roof
Date: 02/09/2008 18:15:08
To: ######
CC: #####webasto.com

Hello Mr. ######,
the panorama roof is build in Germany and I need a few more information.
What is the build date of the vehicle?
There are two different cables in the panorama roof- one set for the Roller blinds and one for the Glass panel.
Which one are you looking for?

I am checking already for the sp[are part numbers to get these information to you as quick as possible.

Best Regards

#######
###### Manager

2201 Innovation Drive
Lexington, KY

Phone: ######
Mobile: ######
Fax: ########
email: #####@webasto.com
Yes - absolutely well done!!:bannana:

Hope i never need it - but i agree, this would probably top all the "how to's"
LOL It just sounds impressive, but theres far more usefull information already shared on here, although there also seems to be quite a fair bit that people keep tight lipped about, but thats why were all here to share
well done on fixin it yourself, sounds like a big job
I did have the help of the WIS, although the sneaky ****ers dont show or tell you everything, so its just a bit of paitence and working out. You really need somewhere you can do the job undercover- Which was great because after coming home from work and trying to sort it and a few scrapped knuckles later I just left it there till the next night.
Probably the hardest part (or mors worrying) was taking the headlinning out, I was pannicking a little incase it didn't go back in properly or sagged when I did get it back in. But thankfully I was all good in the end.

In the next few days I'll try and do a little right up about it, already wishing I had taken more pictures whilst doing it - But theres no way I'm stripping it to take a few snaps.
I just hope that any information I've given helps you out and maybe gives you the confidence to give it a go.....

Just a little update,

The roof is now working without any problems, stripped the whole thing out (heck of a job!!!) cleaned all the old grease off, found a broken plastic part that had been stuck in the track (I think someone has tried to repair it before and possibly changed some part as the plastic item doesn't match anything that came off) cleaned it up and re-greased it all.
I Changed the electrical motor (£244) as the gears has been stripped -possibly when the roof was trying to close and jamming with the plastic part wedged in the rail, re-built it and now works a treat.
It appears the gears on the motor are made from a soft metal and designed to strip rather that doing any further damage to the roof assembly (mainly stretching the cable)
As for the cables stretching (in the other post)- I don't seem to understand this one... They push the mechanism along the rail to open the roof and pull to close and are already flexible, I pulled at them thinking it was them to blame and they just returned to their original shape (no matter how hard you pull). But lined them up onto the motor and manually opened the roof to check everything was working as it should before re-fitting it to the car.
Whilst the roof was disassembled I emailed the roof manufacturers for new cables, thinking that was causing it, and they cables ARE available to buy!!! so if anyone has a roof that's needing new cables then drop them an email and dont go paying the main dealer £2500 for a new roof frame, As the dealers don't sell the cables separately.

I've got a few photos if anyone's thinking of trying to repair theirs as it seem to be a bit of a problem on the various Mercedes sites.

Brian.
Hello Brian,

I've now got the same problem with my roof. Do you have those pics of how to fix it?

I'm going to give it a go

Thanks
Rawle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom