C124 exhaust

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Imbigboned

Car
1967 W100 600 SWB, 78 W123 280E, 99 SL320
Afternoon All.

I'm stuck looking for a centre and back box, for my 96 e320 Coupe.

ECP have sent me the wrong centre box 3 times now and are now saying that they can only supply the Klarius unit instead of the OEM German units. Naturally, I don't want a cheap cheap one, and Mercedes don't have any to sell in the UK or Germany at present.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to go and get a good quality, 'as quiet as an original' exhaust?

Cheers all.

I think, but I am not totally sure, that the exhaust break is in a different place on the replacements. If you buy a whole system [like I just have] the whole thing fits well, but if you buy just a centre section you may need to cut & weld a little bit....??

Is this the part number you are buying 124-491-22-00 ?

I think , but may be wrong , that a lot of the original exhausts were made for Mercedes by Eberspaecher .

I found a link to their website ... might be worth trying them ?

http://www.eberspaecher.com/en/exhaust-technology/passenger-cars.html

Edit - interestingly , Eberspaecher have a factory in Sindelfingen , so that supports the probability of a link to M-B :)

Last edited:
Sorry for the silence. Work has kept me busy.

I first made contact with MIJ in Walsall, for a custom made exhaust and was quoted a very reasonable £450 + VAT, but I to take the car to them. My work unfortunately cannot allow this at the minute, so I stored this one up in my back pocket.

Did try Allparts, and got the units form them, but after my mechanic had a look at them, he sent them back. (I haven't had a chance to catch up with him to see what the issue was.)

In the end an original centre and back box has been ordered with MB and am awaiting delivery info. With discounts it wasn't too bad, but with the way things are going on this car, I need to be careful on the money I pour into her. (Wiring loom, gearbox, head gasket and now exhaust, all in the last 9 months.)

I did look the eberspacher website and got some pricing back, but it wasn't that much different to MB.

Bit of a surprise with MB!

They went from no delivery date in Germany on Thursday, to new centre and back box arriving yesterday afternoon

All fitted and back on the road, ready for our long trip up to Scotland tomorrow.

The only negative I will say though is that it's a little noisier than expected. Probably me being picky.

Good news, just in time. The exhaust will get quieter after a few thousand miles, just needs to "soot up" inside. This deadens the noise a bit.

Bit of a surprise with MB!

They went from no delivery date in Germany on Thursday, to new centre and back box arriving yesterday afternoon

All fitted and back on the road, ready for our long trip up to Scotland tomorrow.

The only negative I will say though is that it's a little noisier than expected. Probably me being picky.

Maybe not fitted well, as the middle pipe has to be pushed quite a long way into the pipe of the rear silencer, or there will be a leak of gasses via the split in that rear box pipe, which requires the strong Mercedes clamp to fully close it up.

kth286 said:
Maybe not fitted well, as the middle pipe has to be pushed quite a long way into the pipe of the rear silencer, or there will be a leak of gasses via the split in that rear box pipe, which requires the strong Mercedes clamp to fully close it up.

Nope it's fitted correctly and has been checked over. It is as it should be

My mechanic puts it down to the fact that I'm never happy!

I've been driving it around for nearly a week now, and it has gotten a lot quieter. In fact, it's not as noisy as my R129 SL320.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom