C220D Over-run, quick stall and start........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ellis said:
All symptoms have stopped just before Christmas :bannana: , I will replace the leak off pipes if nothing else it wull stop the smell of diesel, other than that fingers crossed and the cars runningg well again, thanks for all replies.

Glad to hear it Ellis,if only everyones problems would sort themselves out so easily.:rock:

Problem Sorted

The symptoms came back along with the EDC light, upshot was the stop soleniod needed replacing, I have recommended the garage in the appropriate forum, many ££££££'s but now diesel pump running back to factory spec, I believe :rolleyes: Feels pretty much the same as before maybe a little perkier but no great difference, although it now turns off when I take the key out. :bannana:

Thanks for the advice all who contributed.

Well done and an easy fix.
I remember the idiot Quentin Willson blabbing on about Merc 220D being a scary 2nd hand buy because of the solenoids in the injector pump meaning a new pump and a thousand or more to fix.

What an ****!

The reason the engine will not shut off is due to a small valve located in the back of the pump not working properly. The end of the valve there is a rubber tip which shuts off the fuel when the ignition is turned off. The rubber tips perish and cause the exact fault you are describing. The valve is the size of a bullet and dead easy to replace. Repalce the leak off pipes too that are causing the diesel in the injector holes. Hope this helps

whoops you already knew that

A pro pro leak off pipes
When I took the plastic cover off my OM606 I saw the same problem, all the dishes were filled with diesel. The diesel wes bleeding through the old run back pipes. The problem was the pipes were so old that all I had to do was look at them and they disintigrated into a thousand pieces. They were real barstewards to get off the nipples, but once they were changed everything was fine. Bought 2m of pipe from MB at £7 per meter.
Then like a muppet I tried cleaning the engine top with break cleaner; that was fine untill I decieded to blow it off with a high pressure air line. Break cleaner stings a bit when it goes in the eyes - be warned

A pro pro engine run on
Had the same problem - mine was down to a vacume leak. Knicked a pipe when changing the blower motor. Changed the bit of pipe and everything was fine

Cheers
Adrian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom