C32 De-Cat Update

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TaffH

Car
CLS55 AMG
I thought I'd let my fellow C32 owners know how I'm getting on with my exhaust conversion.
I know earlier AMGs are supposed to be a bit Q-car and a bit of a gentleman's express but, having heard a C63 at full chat, I decided my car needed a bit of a voice. So back in February I took it to Olly at PCS and he removed the secondary cats and the front box, replacing them with some lovely stainless steel pipework. He'd done a fair few C43s before but I was the guinea pig when it came to converting a C32.
The difference has been amazing. The car sounds nice and throaty when it is idling or cruising and becomes more hard edged the more you press the throttle. Foot to the floor, it sounds brutal! Every passenger that has been in the car since it was done has said how fantastic it sounds; even the wife loves it!
To be fair, there is a little droning when holding a constant throttle under load but it's not particularly intrusive and the sound under acceleration more than makes up for it.
The car is quite happy - no warning lights, no increase in fuel consumption - and actually feels faster. Whether this is down to the increased noise or whether the better escape route for those spent gasses makes a noticeable difference I wouldn't like to say - I wish I'd taken it to a rolling road before I had the conversion.
I don't know how many of you have beaten a path to Olly's door but, if you're wondering whether to take the plunge and get it done I would say do it. You won't regret it. :thumb:

Nice, I think you should post a video so we can hear it:D

I think your C32 would have gained some power by a de-cat, most forced induction cars will gain power from a de-cat

My friends 08 STI gained 37bhp from a decat!

N/a car won't gain anything! :(

I'll try and record the sound. I need to get hold of a video camera first though, it's one thing I don't own.
Would like to think a 37bhp was possible but I think if I had that much I really would notice - that would be more than a 10% rise!
You're right though, I'm sure there'll be something.

Great post taffH, i sent my C55 to Olly for the same treatmeant 2 weeks ago. My car was also the first C55 olly had done & everyone including myself have been extrenly pleased with the results.

Funnily enough I was up there the other day having the air con re-gassed and Olly said he'd just converted a C55 - said it sounded amazing.
I'm really envious. Despite the fact that I love my car, the reason I own a C32 is that I couldn't afford a C55.

Hi Taff,

I'm toying with the idea of getting this mod done, but just one quick question. Did you retain the original rear silencer? I would like to, to keep the standard look to it, but I think it'll be a bottle neck for the freer flowing exhaust, which would defeat the object of trying to gain a few horses (the nicer sound is a bonus!) from removing the cats etc.

Thanks,
Garry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom