• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

C43 AMG w202 estate

I'm going to stick my neck above the parapet and prepare for a flaming...
While I have been negatively vocal about some of the W202 asking prices ever since a dealer started asking £13k, when the rest of the market was struggling to achieve £5-7k.
I feel we are starting to see some appreciation for the W202 AMG's. Amari Cars managed £20k for a C43 a couple of years ago, but we seem to have stalled a little, with cars being around for a while
Due to the small numbers manufactured, they will always be in the shadow of the M3's (and Audi RS's?).
While £22k may be a little ambitious, if I was in the market for the best of the best, nice specification and great MOT history that would be on my short list.

At the other end of the scale (currently), is this late C36 ( R514 LCD ), asking £9k with some desirable options; Sport rear seat, rear blind and folding mirrors. Looks reasonable.
Described as good condition with crappy pictures, would make a great useable AMG, that you could improve along the way. But to get it to the standard of the above one would take a chunk of money.

R514 LCD.jpg

I follow the W202 UK Facebook group, now and then a really nice W202 will be posted with "what's it worth?" and we do ourselves down with "£1500 tops" and "I paid £500 for my last one".
As the W201 and W124 models rise, the W202 is being seen as the entry to classic Mercedes ownership. Added in the generational step, of 90's kids, now grown up, bit of disposable income and want the car their parents/neighbours owned for a bit of nostalgia. I still feel that in many eyes, the W202 is struggling to get out of the no-mans land of Daily Driver to Modern Classic, we are getting there slowly.

I'm going to stick my neck above the parapet and prepare for a flaming...
While I have been negatively vocal about some of the W202 asking prices ever since a dealer started asking £13k, when the rest of the market was struggling to achieve £5-7k.
I feel we are starting to see some appreciation for the W202 AMG's. Amari Cars managed £20k for a C43 a couple of years ago, but we seem to have stalled a little, with cars being around for a while
Due to the small numbers manufactured, they will always be in the shadow of the M3's (and Audi RS's?).
While £22k may be a little ambitious, if I was in the market for the best of the best, nice specification and great MOT history that would be on my short list.

At the other end of the scale (currently), is this late C36 ( R514 LCD ), asking £9k with some desirable options; Sport rear seat, rear blind and folding mirrors. Looks reasonable.
Described as good condition with crappy pictures, would make a great useable AMG, that you could improve along the way. But to get it to the standard of the above one would take a chunk of money.

View attachment 130152

I follow the W202 UK Facebook group, now and then a really nice W202 will be posted with "what's it worth?" and we do ourselves down with "£1500 tops" and "I paid £500 for my last one".
As the W201 and W124 models rise, the W202 is being seen as the entry to classic Mercedes ownership. Added in the generational step, of 90's kids, now grown up, bit of disposable income and want the car their parents/neighbours owned for a bit of nostalgia. I still feel that in many eyes, the W202 is struggling to get out of the no-mans land of Daily Driver to Modern Classic, we are getting there slowly.

Would you dare to buy a 1997 C36 with the first electronic gearbox?
These are know to fail, sealed for life no oil changes needed was MB's motto before they changed their stupido attitude!
Unless it was overhauled with receipts showing what was done these cars could be risky business?

Would you dare to buy a 1997 C36 with the first electronic gearbox?
These are know to fail, sealed for life no oil changes needed was MB's motto before they changed their stupido attitude!
Unless it was overhauled with receipts showing what was done these cars could be risky business?
I think that given their age now, any C36 would've suffered it's transmission gremlins and been sorted by now, if there were any.

I think that given their age now, any C36 would've suffered it's transmission gremlins and been sorted by now, if there were any.

4 speed trannies would be OK if oil changes are done regurarly?
The 5 speed need proper testdrive and doing some homework checking all documents before buying to make sure everything is OK.

Like Germans say, if alles gut then alles top! :thumb:
If alles top then alles gut! :thumb:

Y
4 speed trannies would be OK if oil changes are done regurarly?
The 5 speed need proper testdrive and doing some homework checking all documents before buying to make sure everything is OK.

Like Germans say, if alles gut then alles top! :thumb:
If alles top then alles gut! :thumb:
Yeah there's no reason to fear the 4-speed providing it's been looked after, same as with all other automatics really. The early 5 speed is probably more delicate than a 722.4.

Another C36, hopefully this thread has become a W202 AMG thread and not just C43's...

q.jpg

M339 ODA has previously been mentioned a couple of years ago when it went through Anglia Auctions, but I don't know what it finished on.
Looks quite honest, still has it's early one piece AMG badge and correct early amber side indicators.
Nothing scary in the MOT history, (though currently expired) other than a corrosion advisory in 2019. Paint looks patchy and flaky in places.
Leather but no A/C...
Could be a nice project

Previously mentioned on this thread, but I did not want to resurrect a 2 year old thread if everyone is happy with C36 invaders into this thread

That does seem like a great deal!
From what you can see, it seems pretty decent; nice wheels and the interior looks great.
The ad doesn't exactly sell it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom