C63 “sports panel filters”

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MaKaToM

Car
C204 C63
Hi guys, just a quick question about “tuning”.

If one was to have a secondary cat delete, would one need to change the stock air filters to foam sports filters, or would the secondary cat delete be ok on its own?

Just a question I was asked, but I have no idea.

Also, does anyone here with a performance car actually have sports filters?

I have a CLS55 AMG with Pipercross filters. Why? Because I got them for a good price from a fellow member and they are reusable. They were fitted after my remap.
Any performance gain with new filters? Probably not.
The MB filters looked very clean when I pulled them. Design looked very efficient with high surface area and air flow. My indie just used to blow them clean. I've kept them.

All 'performance' filters are more open structure in an attempt to flow more air .

More open , more dirt gets in .

Performance marketing filter , no thank you .

I have always been of the opinion that the gains provided by sports panel filters is minimal, if it exists at all, I have OEM and I’m more than happy with them.

However, when discussing “Stages” of tuning with a friend, he said that having a car mapped without changing to sports panel filters is a daft idea, because you’re not getting the most out of the engine.

Is this really the case? Would a sports panel filter really offer anything noticeable to the driver, be it power or noise?

Thanks!

I have a CLS55 AMG with Pipercross filters. Why? Because I got them for a good price from a fellow member and they are reusable. They were fitted after my remap.
Any performance gain with new filters? Probably not.
The MB filters looked very clean when I pulled them. Design looked very efficient with high surface area and air flow. My indie just used to blow them clean. I've kept them.
Thanks!
Was there any difference in sound after you installed the Pipercross panel filters?

Some cars have extremely efficient intakes and aren’t worth changing. It’s not like the old days. Your friend is just giving quite generic and outdated advice.

If it was mine, I wouldn't bother.

I had them (K&N) years ago on a twin weber set-up on a Caterham; it definitely sounded better than the original single weber carb with foam filter and was noticeably quicker, but that was almost certainly down to the bigger carbs in a lightweight car. The filters did give a good induction noise but whether you'd really notice it sat inside a C63 is debateable; you might hear it if you're fiddling under the bonnet but I doubt you'd notice it once on the move, especially if you've altered the exhaust. Performance-wise, if there is any improvement, and it's a big if, I doubt you'd notice that either; you'd probably be better off changing the std filters more often to ensure maximum airflow.

My TVR has a Pipercross filter fitted as standard but the exhaust completely drowns out any induction noise that there might be; IMHO any bhp gains on an already well set-up induction system will be limited as I suspect that MB spent a few minutes experimenting to find the best set up when they designed it :)

I had a GruppeM filter kit set up on a Alpina B10 V8 some years ago and that did really increase induction noise it did sound really good. You could also feel the improved hp. It was that little bit more improved throttle response.

With the M156 I think personally headers is the best way to get more hp and better induction noise as well as extra bark from the exhaust.

Again I think more suited to the C than the more excutive E model with the M156 block. I have thought of having headers myself but since having the resonator delete, it is set up just perfectly for every day driving, but when you want to hear that baby sing, you just switch the dial and put it in S+ or M mode and you can hear that V8 Rumble.

So are we saying that swapping from OEM filters on the M156 to sports filters for a remap is unnecessary?

So are we saying that swapping from OEM filters on the M156 to sports filters for a remap is unnecessary?
Usually aftermarket filters are used in the hope that they will increase power output. Some have the opposite effect or make no difference. Some will lead to a tiny increase in power.

However more flow means less filtration, and less filtration means more “stuff” in the engine which really ought not be there, and which could cause problems.

So on balance, unless you’re chasing every last BHP on a very highly tuned engine, and are prepared to dunk test to see which makes a difference, then the risk isn’t really worth taking.

Others will disagree.

Avoid Pipercross Foam filters, the foam bits are known to break down after a few thousand miles usage.
Only difference is induction noise which is slightly more with there performance filters.
There is a risk of over oiling with these filters too.

If any, I would recommend aFe Pro Dry S filters.
But you can only get them from the US and they do cost a bit.

I was toying with adding some K&N or other panel filters to my M156, I then looked at the filters which had done 8k, the amount of dirt collected surprised me.

That pretty much told me I don't want better flow/introduce more dirt particles into the engine.

I very much doubt it, but if it made you happy!
Why do you doubt, what do you know about the set up my vehicle had?

I had a GruppeM filter kit set up on a Alpina B10 V8 some years ago and that did really increase induction noise it did sound really good. You could also feel the improved hp. It was that little bit more improved throttle response.
Did you do any before and after dyno runs?

Did you do any before and after dyno runs?
I did have actually yes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom