• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

C63 - M156 or M177??

Nobody ever called the CLS SB a hearse:Red SB smaller.jpg

Or my last E500:
E500.JPG
I'm not a fan of dark-tinted rear windows, though I can see the practical aspects, but I'm even less a fan of waiting forever for the perfect-spec car which may never come along, so I buy what's available when I'm looking.

M156 vs M177 ... I always wanted the 6.2, but when I had the chance to get one, I went in a different direction. I think I watched too many videos on cam shaft lifter nodes degrading and incorrect cylinder head bolts etc

From what I can see, the M177 appears an extremely reliable engine with very few inherent issues, if any. I'm only going through what I've seen on forums.

I'm just going through the process of purchasing a M177 C63. I'm going to be doing 15k miles a year, so I need more modern tech to utilise on a daily basis.

The interior of the W204 just isn't what I personally want from a daily driver.

This is very likely to be my one and only AMG V8. I'd have been happy owning either, but the 6.2 just isn't the right choice for me in 2024.

M156 vs M177 ... I always wanted the 6.2, but when I had the chance to get one, I went in a different direction. I think I watched too many videos on cam shaft lifter nodes degrading and incorrect cylinder head bolts etc

From what I can see, the M177 appears an extremely reliable engine with very few inherent issues, if any. I'm only going through what I've seen on forums.

I'm just going through the process of purchasing a M177 C63. I'm going to be doing 15k miles a year, so I need more modern tech to utilise on a daily basis.

This is very likely to be my one and only AMG V8. I'd have been happy owning either, but the 6.2 just isn't the right choice for me in 2024.
Wrong choice but enjoy it.

If w204s are hard to come by or too small, I'd really recommend folks look at the prefacelift 6.2l w212 E class. It's a 'light' car with around 1760kg curb weight, brilliant chassis and handling. I know a lot of folks don't like that it doesn't have low down torque but all that means is once you have a warm engine, rev it up, accept the fuel bill and enjoy the magic that unfolds. I really enjoyed revving up that engine on the w211, it was brilliant. Keep money aside to give the exhaust a louder note and do the headbolts etc as preventive maintenance if needed and you've got a beast of a car thats actually reasonably priced. I'd buy one in a heart beat. They're worth looking into. Ofcourse they don't have all the modern bells and whistles with fancy LED interior lights and digital screens and they have those terrible foot (hand) brakes but for someone willing to go down a different route, there may be hidden treasure going in this direction

But you can get the same car for roughly the same money with the M157 in....so why? Apart from a marginally better sound there are no positives on the M156 over the M157....at least to me. You can even get it in the pre facelift version if you prefer that look.

Not sure I prefer the M157 over the M156 other than better fuel economy that's why

Fair enough.... but having been lucky enough to drive a 156 and a 157 212 one straight after another the 157 makes the 156 feel very flat indeed.....relatively of course. In isolation the 156 is fine.. ..but I like my engines more torquey than the 156. But each to their own.

I get that completely, but i also think the 157 as implemented in my e63s has a rather annoying throttle response delay which probably has nothing to do with turbo lag from what i can tell but it's very apparent nonetheless. Perhaps the prefacelift 157 throttle response was different. So while that engine is special once the pedal you've pushed down decides to send the laggy message to the engine to wind up, ofcourse once it does you've got over 800nm of torque at work which is Well beyond the 156's NA talents. On the w211 e63 I had , the throttle response was immediate in sport mode (it was only let down by the transmission lag) , and certainly my recent v8 NA bmw (with only 330hp felt much faster at low speeds) and e93 M3 respond straight away as soon as you touch the pedal. My c63s was also very impressive in that regard when not in comfort mode. So in summary any mighty torque advantages it has are largely negated by the annoying lag. The 157 is a top engine but it does have an achilles heel. I've had mine 3 years and it's great but it's just a bit too damn slow to respond to be the perfect engine, it's damn close but not quite there. Maybe newer models that feature that engine have been set up differently.

M177 all day everyday face the facts
It’s more powerful with a bigger power curve and drinks less fuel
Simple stage 1 remap puts you to 580 bhp and 900 nm
If you want to go mad stage 2 is closer to 630bhp and 950nm
Don’t need to ring the neck off it to get it moving
Nothing against M156 but time has moved on

I get that completely, but i also think the 157 as implemented in my e63s has a rather annoying throttle response delay which probably has nothing to do with turbo lag from what i can tell but it's very apparent nonetheless. Perhaps the prefacelift 157 throttle response was different. So while that engine is special once the pedal you've pushed down decides to send the laggy message to the engine to wind up, ofcourse once it does you've got over 800nm of torque at work which is Well beyond the 156's NA talents. On the w211 e63 I had , the throttle response was immediate in sport mode (it was only let down by the transmission lag) , and certainly my recent v8 NA bmw (with only 330hp felt much faster at low speeds) and e93 M3 respond straight away as soon as you touch the pedal. My c63s was also very impressive in that regard when not in comfort mode. So in summary any mighty torque advantages it has are largely negated by the annoying lag. The 157 is a top engine but it does have an achilles heel. I've had mine 3 years and it's great but it's just a bit too damn slow to respond to be the perfect engine, it's damn close but not quite there. Maybe newer models that feature that engine have been set up differently.
Take a look at the vacuum check valve fitted to the vacuum pump on the back of the left hand cylinder head. The valve fails and affects the vacuum system holding a negative pressure. Leads to delay in pick up.

Take a look at the vacuum check valve fitted to the vacuum pump on the back of the left hand cylinder head. The valve fails and affects the vacuum system holding a negative pressure. Leads to delay in pick up.
Thanks mate, that's very useful and I'll get someone to have a look at that just in case.

M177 all day everyday face the facts
It’s more powerful with a bigger power curve and drinks less fuel
Simple stage 1 remap puts you to 580 bhp and 900 nm
If you want to go mad stage 2 is closer to 630bhp and 950nm
Don’t need to ring the neck off it to get it moving
Nothing against M156 but time has moved on
On the one hand yes, and you add on to that improved AMG dynamics on their ESP on 177 cars and especially fsster transmissions, they're ahead for sure. However, I owned my w211 e63 at the same time as my c63s for around a year and to me the 156 was a more satisfying engine, with 630nm of torque , fully progressive with an unbeatable sound and experience as you rev to 7.2k, im sorry my 177 couldnt compete. Whereas most of my enjoyment from the c came from power sliding it and pushing on windy roads and it had better chassis , tranmission, dynamics and tech and thats all it does better, it doesnt have a better engine , certainly not on the C class version. Bottom line is there's w212 6.2l cars out there for 15k to 17k which is more car and value for money than the cheapest 177 s version cars which are 10k minimum more expensive last I looked a while back [edit : damn those c class prices have tanked ! I may need to reevaluate my view on this ! ]1000036387.jpg

Last edited:

Correct choice. Enjoy it.

Old skool menacing sounding muscular V8 Vs new era modern V8.

I like muscular old skool V8. None will disappoint. But when the noise comes with it it's a bonus in my opinion. The 156 will never never grow old 😁👍

Template forum post:

1st post by OP: Hi everyone, I'm buying an AMG, pls advise me on everything but especially fuel economy as that's most imortant me
Followed by numerous posts from members offering their expert advice and support.
Meanwhile OP is never to be heard from again or if you're lucky comes back to say "Hi everyone, I went for the 220 Diesel in the end as it's 90% of the AMG but with vastly superior running costs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom