• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Cant ping to network printer

Dieselman

Banned
Car
Peugeot 403 Convertible
I have a personal printer on my home network and can ping it but can't communicate via web browser or print to it.

Any ideas?

Not a samsung by any chance is it? I have this exact same problem and have been pulling my hair out (whats left) for months. I've basically given up and shoved a USB cable into it :doh:

Not a Samsung.

It should be a Windows problem as I can Ping the IP address, but not connect via a browser.

wired or wireless?

Is Client for Microsoft Networks listed in your tcp/ip stack for that adapter? If not, re-add it, reboot and try again.

check what port it's on. You might need to specify eg, 192.168.0.2:8080

A brand might help

Cat 5 connection, port setup ok. Deleted an setup new on to be sure.

Is Client for Microsoft Networks listed in your tcp/ip stack for that adapter? If not, re-add it, reboot and try again.

Give that in English please.

power cycle the printer too if you havnt already.

Done, both PC and printer, including pulling new IP addy dynamically then locking it in.

XP Pro... LOL... :D

Pinging is just a protocol for a simple networking check, have you tried re0-installing the printer driver?

Turn the printer off and check that the ping fails - there may be more than one device on that address.
open a dos window
telnet <ip-address-of-printer>80 e.g. telnet 192.168.1.5 80
Do you get a response? (even if it is rubbish) then you CAN connect to the printer on the default browser port

OK in XP you would need to go to Start, Connect To, Show all connections.

Then select the LAN adapter you are using , right click and select properties. This will open a window with your LAN adapter properties.

On the General tab you will see a list of items used by your network adapter. You should see a bunch of things at the very least to include Internet Protocol TCP/IP, File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft networks and Client for Microsoft Networks.

Check all those three are there and ticked.

Have you tried plugging USB cable in to see if it works when hard wired up?
If that works, uninstall and re-install drivers

If you cant get to the printers web page then either the printer settings have changed (remote access disabled) or you have a network issue.

When you said you got a new DHCP lease for the printer, and then fixed the IP, did you reserve the address on your router or could another device potentially get the address over DHCP?

When you pinged the printer, did you also try an nslookup of the IP address to see what it was to rule out an IP conflict?

Have you reflected the new IP address in your printer properties on your PC under ports?

Do you have a firewall on your PC that could be blocking access to this new IP outside of ICMP traffic?

Is your printer connected to power supply???

Lol

Turn the printer off and check that the ping fails - there may be more than one device on that address.
open a dos window

Thanks Ted, there was an IP conflict. Even with everything disconnected from the router I could still ping the printer. :confused:

My phone had picked up the IP addy.

I then had to change the port on the PC and printer and this time reserved it in the router.

For some inexplicable reason I then lost lease to the ISP, just sorted that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom