Cayenne Turbo S... damn fast!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

moff

Car
C63 AMG Coupe
Last night driving back from the train station to my home (20 mile cross country on pretty quiet A/B roads) I came behind a Cayenne Turbo S which looked and sounded pretty mean.

I was planning to overtake as we exited a roundabout and book his quad exhaust barked at me and it shot off like a scalded rat. I kept in touch, gaining entering corners but losing out exiting due to the damp cold conditions.

The guy driving was very sensible which was nice, slowing properly for dangerous sections, towns and not doing any daft overtakes. It was a really good, fun, spirited drive home.

I was really impressed with it's straight line speed (550bhp) and how planted it was through some tight bends. I only really caught up into bends and a tiny bit on the straights.

A quick Google when I got home displayed the £108k list price before options :crazy: so that explains why he turned off into a rather nice looking country house!

I rarely 'play' with other cars as most others seem to think it's a **** waving competition and do something stupid. I also rarely ever come across a car of similar performance.

To summarise, the Cayenne Turbo S is one seriously fast beast, especially for a 2 ton+ SUV!!!!

I was really impressed with it's straight line speed (550bhp)

Possibly more. Being a turbo I assume it's relatively cheap/easy to get a bit more power than standard (chip / remap).

He probably used nearly a full tank doing that wee run with you.

What's also impressive is its off road capabilities. We were taken round the off road course at Porsche Experience Centre Silverstone in a Cayenne, I reckon it would give a Range Rover a good run for its money. Started off with a 45 degree concrete ramp up and down - stopped halfway both ways and restarted without any problem. Over the speed bump things with one wheel airborn - and never the same wheel twice in a row! Yet you're cosseted inside in lovely leather and all mod cons. Impressive piece of kit, but not my cup of tea.

I had I turbo with cat deletion and a remap, Very quick indeed but even with HUGE Brembos it still took a lot of stopping, not as bad on fuel as my M5 though and good in the wet : )

What's also impressive is its off road capabilities. We were taken round the off road course at Porsche Experience Centre Silverstone in a Cayenne, I reckon it would give a Range Rover a good run for its money. Started off with a 45 degree concrete ramp up and down - stopped halfway both ways and restarted without any problem. Over the speed bump things with one wheel airborn - and never the same wheel twice in a row! Yet you're cosseted inside in lovely leather and all mod cons. Impressive piece of kit, but not my cup of tea.

What was the Porsche Experience day like? My boss has just ordered a new 911 Cab. and got an experience day included with it. He just gave it to me to use. Was quite looking forward to the prospect of caning a Panamera Turbo S around the track!

That's a very nicely painted scene you portrayed there.

Even the "speed is the spawn of the devil" brigade would have enjoyed the read, I'm sure :thumb:.

I'm also sure he was similarly surprised at not leaving another car for dead, with his c550bhp rocket.

What was the Porsche Experience day like? My boss has just ordered a new 911 Cab. and got an experience day included with it. He just gave it to me to use. Was quite looking forward to the prospect of caning a Panamera Turbo S around the track!

It's not quite like that! They have a very small track on which one of their drivers, with passengers, demonstrates drifting, and a couple of skid pan things with water, where you can explore your car control expertise, then the off road thing where they do silly things with a Cayenne. Have a look at the overhead photos in Google Maps, you'll see the round building that is Porsche Centre Silverstone with the skid pans etc nearby.

I was following one a few months ago that was in my way. I suspect that he was on the phone. Once he realised he was in my way, he just took off and left me for dead.

I was quite shocked. Only seen one other thing move that quick, that was a FFRR Supercharged that my C320 cdi (not a slow car), could only just keep in touch with.

I drive my mates wife's Cayenne Turbo s quite regular in standard form they kick out just short of 550 bhp and about 4.5 0 - 60 mph. This one is tuned to over 650 bhp and clears the 0 - 60 dash in less than 4 seconds and theres not much can get away from it I can tell you but when you have it up and running its a real handful around the twisities, best 4x4 I have ever driven by an absolute mile

Once you get used to the lean in an SUV also they grip very well.

Even in mine with these wet / damp roads I probably trust it more than my rear wheel drive cars. I guess he could hit full beans before you exiting the bends

I guess you both knew the roads well living that way, sounds like a good blast :)

I owned a 2006 Turbo just before I got my C63. Very very quick and brutal, always suprising how nimble it is given its size/weight.

Handling was great too, a shame the Tiptronic box sucked. They have now moved over to PDK boxes which are a lot better.

There's a Autocar video of a track test between a Cayenne Turbo and a 911 Carrera 4S. On an admittedly short lap, the 911 was only 1.2 seconds quicker.

It's Great Fun, I went on one with my brother when the 'R' Version of the Cayman was released, we got to drive all three variants of the Cayman (standard/S/R). The track is fairly small and it's set out like a country lane, but still very enjoyable. You have a instructor with you, but you can pretty much drive as hard as you like - which both my brother and I did :devil:.
You also get to have a go on the skid pan and another one which has a piece of road which suddenly moves violently, this is supposed to simulate hitting a piece of ice. We then got taken round the off road course in a cayenne, unfortunately we weren't allowed to drive this time but some of the gradients it was going up and down were very impressive.
All in all a very enjoyable day:thumb:

I was following one a few months ago that was in my way. I suspect that he was on the phone. Once he realised he was in my way, he just took off and left me for dead.

I was quite shocked. Only seen one other thing move that quick, that was a FFRR Supercharged that my C320 cdi (not a slow car), could only just keep in touch with.

I was lucky enough to borrow a friends Cayenne V8s (I think) amazing surefootedness and a wonderful engine note under acceleration. Another friend has the cayenne turbo s only been in it as a passenger but it was amazing under acceleration and cornering. If I could afford one I could not live with the looks.

I'm not sure which is quicker on a Cayenne Turbo S the acceleration..or the depreciation.
Bear in mind though that the Cayenne is £23265 cheaper than a Panamera Turbo S !

Saw him again last night, but we were both pootling along in a little bit of light traffic. Roads were a little icy so no fun this time.

On the point of grip, I am not too sure about the Michelin Pilot Super Sports that I've put on, I think I preferred the Yoko's... another threat maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom