Changing an E Class to.........?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I drove a Lexus for three years before switching to this car and quite a bit did go wrong with it but it did never brake down (and you always knew it wouldn't), which is why it does so well in reliability surveys. I had a couple of problems (gear box issues and suspension knocking) which despite many dealer visits they were never able to fix. I was actually quite glad to get rid of it.

I always felt the 'feel good' factor was as good if not better than Mercedes. I do think the quality of the W211 is much better though. That may well be different with the new GS and IS, in fact I'm sure it will be.

One of the main differences is dealer service, Lexus customer service was always faultless. It was always a pleasure to take the car in, with a choice of loan cars, IS300, GS, RX300 etc. I do miss that! And I could always book it in with only a couple of days notice, even with a loan car.

But Lexus is Toyota rebadged......A Mercedes is a Mercedes Benz with three pointed star.
The problem with mercedes is car market has changed a lot and they are now making cars for everybody whereas before it was for the rich and the very rich who did not have time to complain, they would simply change their cars to another Mercedes. I agree that the quality is not the same, we are all to blame for that because we do not hold on to our cars longer as it used to be. Technology also have part to play in the unrealibility of MB,we all want more toys in our cars, I am in technology business as some of our forum members, new technologies usually comes with bugs combine with trying to buy cheaper to keep the price low, I believe a deadly combination, most of the technologies we have in cars nowadays were first introdused by MB. Very soon all car makers will be using 7G Tronics shifter box as most are now embracing the indicating wing mirrors, The introduction of ML is another example, BMW waited 3 years to bring out the X5, what then happened was every one started comparing the two, they have forgotten that most manufacturer alway bring out a newer model after mercedes have brought theirs out.
Yes I have recently changed my car to Porsche cayenne, it is just my head over-ruling my heart, but I will always have a MB in my garage my wife still drives a mercedes benz and I know where my heart is, and I know for sure that I WILL come back to MERCEDES BENZ.

Last edited:
I saw and sat in the new Lexus IS at the New York Motor Show in March 05. I loved it. It is very handsome, utterly contemporary, and finally gives Lexus an image that it has never had. The build quality is not any better than MB, but is leagues ahead of the 1st generation IS, which really was a rebadged Toyota. The new IS has the premium feel and the premium look.

Lexus is going to steal a lot of sales from BMW, MB and Audi with the new IS. It finally has a car with personality to battle with the C class, the 3 series and the A4. I would consider an IS because it is Rear Wheel Drive, but never an Audi A4 as it's front wheel drive and fundamentally flawed from a driving pleasure perspective.

Last edited:
I think for anyone in the market for this Class then maybe the new IS would be a good choice over the BMW or Audi.

I think Richard's and C240sport's comments says it all.

I will try to stick with the choice although i can change my mind anytime with the loss of my deposit. However i can't see myself regretting buying such a car even though coming from Mbz ownership of 2 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom