CL600 AMG Joy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That is correct..i cannot remember the abbreviation.. zes or something.
Definitely get a warranty! If the oil cooler goes it is a massive job unfortunately

The pre-facelift CL600 while no slouch is slower than any of the AMG offerings from 2001.

I don't agree - It has the most power compared to any other amg and although heavy should have equal (if not more) bhp/ton than the AMG's of that time.

Even if it doesn't its in the same league of pace. So the fact that it isn't an AMG doesn't matter at all, its a very top end car with a top-end engine.

Last edited:
Speaking from experience (2001 S600L) I can assure you that the n/a V12's are a very quick car but the party piece is the mid-range punch.

They simply do not stop accelerating. It is kind of wierd but there comes a point where it seems they begin to accelerate even faster, like someone suddenly dropped a 250kg weight from out of the boot. My 1998 S600L did exactly the same thing - after a certain point in acceleration is just sort of 'lightened' and pulled away even harder.

The V12TT on the other hand is nothing short of an animal!

Both the CL600 and CL55 of that eara both have the same Torque 391lb/ft with the 55 being slightly quicker that the 600 but there is literally nothing between them under the bonnet.

I don't agree - It has the most power compared to any other amg and although heavy should have equal (if not more) bhp/ton than the AMG's of that time.

Even if it doesn't its in the same league of pace. So the fact that it isn't an AMG doesn't matter at all, its a very top end car with a top-end engine.
I'm not disputing that it's quick but it's a second slower to 60 when compared to an E55 or CLK55 from the same year for example. It's only fractionally more power and about half a ton more weight :)

I'm not disputing that it's quick but it's a second slower to 60 when compared to an E55 or CLK55 from the same year for example. It's only fractionally more power and about half a ton more weight :)

Come on... Don't tell me you believe that marketing rubbish :)

They can't publish figures for a non-amg car to be any better in terms of performance... but in real life i'm sure its faster. They do this even til now, the Cl600 now (bi-turbo) has less figures then all the 63 engines but I am SO sure it will destroy them no contest.

So in that era a clk/e55 took 5.2s (i'm being very generous here) to 60? Lets say 5 for arguements sake, and the CL600 (400bhp 6L V12 that weighs almost 2 tons) will take 6 seconds?

I prefer reality to marketing, but hey, thats just me.

An E55 210 and CLK55 208 would kill a CL600 non turbo. The n/a engine 'aint that quick IMO.

The only wayto find out is a visit to the pod.

Pod??? Autobahn :)

That is the where the large capacity engines/multicylinder come into their own.

Anyways, I am slumming it now in a Japanese 4.3 V8 and is quite funny when I say to people how slow it feels!

An E55 210 and CLK55 208 would kill a CL600 non turbo. The n/a engine 'aint that quick IMO.

The only wayto find out is a visit to the pod.

0-60 probably... but if you have a long strip... It would be good to watch!

As speeds increase weight difference stops becoming such an influential factor on acceleration performance and pure bhp wins it in the end, its just a fact.

Do the C215's use the same air filters as the W220's (in the n/a V12's)?

With the R129 they deliberately understated the BHP of the V8 AMG version (SL60) so as not to upset buyers of the (heavier) V12 SL600.

Listen...its an awesome car!!! Forget about anything else...you drive it people envy you. You floor it...5 or 6 six cars are taken. Your Mrs chucks you out of the house (talking from experience!)...you sleep in it!!! :)

Speaking from experience (2001 S600L) I can assure you that the n/a V12's are a very quick car but the party piece is the mid-range punch.

They simply do not stop accelerating. It is kind of wierd but there comes a point where it seems they begin to accelerate even faster, like someone suddenly dropped a 250kg weight from out of the boot. My 1998 S600L did exactly the same thing - after a certain point in acceleration is just sort of 'lightened' and pulled away even harder.

The V12TT on the other hand is nothing short of an animal!

I have the CL600 Biturbo, I find the same thing, it's no slouch of the line ,however, the faster it goes the faster it appears to accelerate. BHP is what gives you the top end, the torque gives you the get up and go the torque on the Biturbo is nothing short of awesome.:D

i will never forget the day i bought the s600 biturbo, drove it like a nun for 70 miles, never revved above 2k. On the small empty stretch before my house road was empty i thought ill give it a wack. i was doing 30 mph in about 2 seconds i was in points on the licences territory, in 4 seconds i was in lose the licence territory and in 6 seconds i was in lose the license forever territory.
I got home and said to the mrs, dont drive this like you did the e300 dt or youll be dead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom