Clicking from centre console

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alanpres

I have C200K auto. There is a clicking noise coming from the centre console where the gear shift is. It is like something is fouling something in the gearbox as it is tune with the speed of the car and not the engine speed. The noise disappears when I turn left. It only does it when the car is moving in gear, neutral and with the engine turned off. I can feel the clicking noise on the gearshift, Has anyone heard of this before?

I have C200K auto. There is a clicking noise coming from the centre console where the gear shift is. It is like something is fouling something in the gearbox as it is tune with the speed of the car and not the engine speed. The noise disappears when I turn left. It only does it when the car is moving in gear, neutral and with the engine turned off. I can feel the clicking noise on the gearshift, Has anyone heard of this before?

Stone in a tyre?

Richard

does it do this all the time or just when the car is hot?

there have been cases where the heat shield on the exhaust has been badly positioned and when it heats up and expands it starts to catch on the drive shaft causing said clicking noise

another cause can apparently be from the sound deadening material surrounding the gearbox which has weights or something attached, these can work loose and also cause the same problem (I'm not too sure how accurate this is as it was told to me by a Mercedes technician and I can't remember exactly what he said)

hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can jump in and clarify if this is possible or I'm just talking out of my **** :D

HTH

Thanks, all, My mechanic has found out what the noise was. The blue clip which holds the handbrake cable away from the prop shaft was broken and the cable was resting on the shaft. The clip is between the heat shield and the body. Remove heat shield to repair, a couple of cable ties have done the trick. The clicking noise was a ribbed label on the shaft.

I have found the same problem on a w203 220 cdi, thanks alanpres for this post saved me a trip to the garage and i was about to check gear box oil !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom