• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

CLK 200k elegance tip 2002 51 plate advice needed!

kbhogalW126

Car
'98 W140 S320
ok.
so i went down to the garage to have a look at this car today:

2002 51 Reg MERCEDES-BENZ CLK 200K Elegance Tip

2 Doors, Automatic, Coupe, Petrol, 50,000 miles, Metallic Blue, 2 Owners. ABS, Adjustable seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, Computer, Cruise control, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Foglights, Front armrest, Electrically adjustable seats, Immobiliser, Passenger airbag, Power assisted steering, Rear armrest, Remote locking, Side airbags, Rear headrests, Traction control, ELEC MEMORY SPORTS LEATHER, FULL LEATHER INTERIOR, Head restraints, Heated seats, Radio/CD. £10,000.

car looked nice.

no dings or knock anywhere.

it has electric memory on both sides.

only problem was between the rear seats there is some sort of cubby hole/ashtray contraption.
this was b roken.

does anyone know how much it costs for a new handle/front?

Also, one of the centre air vents was broken from where someone has put one of those glade in car air fresheners in the past.

one of the slats has come off.

how much would it cost to replace?

the dealer wanted 10k but says he will drop to £9800 because of those two things.

FInally! one of the alloys had a scrape on one of the spokes.

can someone tell me what type they are? (they said AMG on them) and how much it would cost to get it polished out?

I know someone advised that i should go for a CLK230K but for us the 200k is fine.

It's for my better half and she doesnt drive fast.

Regards,

KJ

Attachments

• lg51kouback.jpg
    lg51kouback.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 74
  • lg51koufront.jpg
    lg51koufront.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 69
  • lg51kouside.jpg
    lg51kouside.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 75
heres the interior colour:

also, is it possible to remove the centre bit on the back seat and have a seat cushion/baby seat attachment?

this would maybe let us carry 4 adults and a bairn.

thanks in advance,

KJ

Attachments

• lg51kouinterior.jpg
    lg51kouinterior.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 123
Righty!

The wheels apear to be AMG Styling IV at c£400 a wheel!

Anyone know costs for the other items?

Anyone got a CLK 200K ?

Looks a bit iffy to me, its got facelift wing mirrors, but a non face lift steering wheel and it has indicator repeaters in the wings as well as on the mirrors.

If its non facelift (as I think it is), it shouldn't be 2002 51 plate.

Something smells dodgy. Can you get the chassis number so we can check it on the Russian website thingy? That will tell us the build date and what options the car had from new.

RC

agree

not a facelift model (side indicators on front wings and s/wheel) and strange that it's on a 51 plate.

find another one, there are plenty out there.

Rose Chap said:
Looks a bit iffy to me, its got facelift wing mirrors, but a non face lift steering wheel and it has indicator repeaters in the wings as well as on the mirrors.

If its non facelift (as I think it is), it shouldn't be 2002 51 plate.

Something smells dodgy. Can you get the chassis number so we can check it on the Russian website thingy? That will tell us the build date and what options the car had from new.

RC

kbhogalW126 said:
heres the interior colour:

also, is it possible to remove the centre bit on the back seat and have a seat cushion/baby seat attachment?

this would maybe let us carry 4 adults and a bairn.

thanks in advance,

KJ

Firstly the CLK is strictly a four seater. You cannot carry five people in it.

I think this car is a facelifted one because of the interior, the side mouldings, the indicators and registration. However, what would alarm me is why the sterring wheel has been changed as the one on there isnt right. Perhaps its been in an accident and the airbag went off?

I'd walk away from it myself for just the steering wheel issue alone.

Edit: It possibly an import which might explain the side repeaters in the wings!

A better pic of the instrument cluster would answer more of the facelift questions

This is all adding up to what sounds like a car with questionable history, and of potentially dubious age.

As Alfie says, walk away and find another.

Just to add, and its a personal thing, but those wheels on that car look rubbish! :)

Got a wee preliminary check done on it.

It was made in 2001 and registered a year later in 2002.

Apparently, it may well be an import.

From what you have all said, it may have undergone a "quick" facelift ie wing mirrors.

i think i will walk away.

My remit has changed again as Mrs B now only wants a silver coloured car be it a C-Class or CLK.

In a way it's lucky that the Volvo we are supposed to be buting has been delayed until Thursday for us to go and test drive it (it hadn't been prepared when we first saw it).

Does anyone know any Dealers selling a Nice C-class, mileage under 60k in silver, with Full leather, electric driver seat, aircon, folding mirrors?

I'm prepared to go up to about 11k.

I'm not too bothered about the engine size.

Anything between a 200K and 320.

Preferably Elegance or Avantgarde.

I would like a facelift CLK though with about 60k on the clock up to the same price.

if the mileage is low enough i might take it for myself!

thanks in advance,

KJ

You are right to walk away.

The facelift occured in August of 1999 so there is no way a prefacelifted car should be on a 2002 plate.

Have a look through www.autotrader.co.uk, most dealers advertise in there.

Shame you wernt looking for a C class earlier. I sold my 51 plate C180 elegance with 48K and COMAND not long ago.

Good luck with your search.

kbhogalW126 said:
Got a wee preliminary check done on it.

It was made in 2001 and registered a year later in 2002.

Apparently, it may well be an import.

From what you have all said, it may have undergone a "quick" facelift ie wing mirrors.

i think i will walk away.

My remit has changed again as Mrs B now only wants a silver coloured car be it a C-Class or CLK.

In a way it's lucky that the Volvo we are supposed to be buting has been delayed until Thursday for us to go and test drive it (it hadn't been prepared when we first saw it).

Does anyone know any Dealers selling a Nice C-class, mileage under 60k in silver, with Full leather, electric driver seat, aircon, folding mirrors?

I'm prepared to go up to about 11k.

I'm not too bothered about the engine size.

Anything between a 200K and 320.

Preferably Elegance or Avantgarde.

I would like a facelift CLK though with about 60k on the clock up to the same price.

if the mileage is low enough i might take it for myself!

thanks in advance,

KJ

A quick search from my postcode - which isn't too far from Sheffield threw up the following:

linky

Then did one using my folks postcode - Rotherham
linky no 2 - Rotherham postcode

There's a couple of good looking ones on there.

You might need to have a chat with Mrs B about colour. Whilst it's OK to have a colour in mind - and there will be colours you won't be seen dead in - when buying used it has to come lower on the list of priorities.

Do an autrotrader search from your postcode - ;)

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
If you want to post a link to a car on autotrader, edit the URL.

Copy the whole address from the pop-up and chop out everything between the "?" and "id", so you only keep the highlighted bit:

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW/CARS_popup.asp?modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&make=MERCEDES-BENZ&model=AMG&variant=&keywords=silver&min_pr=10000&max_pr=16000&mileage=8&agerange=&postcode=xx00+0xx&miles=1500&max_records=50&source=0&photo=1&sort=3&ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH&start=5&distance=39&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200628242498631

leaving you with:

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW/CARS_popup.asp?id=200628242498631

Not only a prettier URL but it also hides your postcode etc :D

Mrs B believes that "proper" mercs are Silver!

Its quite funny really.

I do remember reading somewhere once that silver was the favourite colour choice for Mercedes buyers.

She hated my old W126 because it was a kind of almandine red!

Thanks for your help folks.

I will post up some more models for advice as i find them!

I would rather buy from a "dealer" because i want to trade in the 206 (TI value is about £3200). I haven't got the time to try and sell the car privately.

regards,

Kj

kbhogalW126 said:
Mrs B believes that "proper" mercs are Silver!

Its quite funny really.

I do remember reading somewhere once that silver was the favourite colour choice for Mercedes buyers.
It practically is for all cars.

50% of all new MBs are silver, 25% black. Presumably the rest are cubanite and obsidian ;)

Am I the only one that thinks silver is boring? It really is so dull, although there are some models that suit it, 300SL springs to mind. As for silver and black interior - the dullest and least attractive combination short of bizarre colours and mismatches!

As for your purchase conundrum, buying privately may deliver a better car at a lower price and selling privately is easy as pie if you price your car right.

kensalriser said:
Am I the only one that thinks silver is boring? It really is so dull, although there are some models that suit it, 300SL springs to mind. As for silver and black interior - the dullest and least attractive combination short of bizarre colours and mismatches!

Mrs Dryce would disagree with your sentiments. My view concurs with
your own (though I think the S and W211 E look OK in silver).

One reason I would go for silver is that it seems to show up dirt
rather less obviously than any other colour we've experienced.

Great advice, especially from Rosechap.What a keen eye you have !
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom