CLK 500 Cab or SLK350?????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can't speak for the CLK but I am well pleased with my recently acquired SLK350. Goes like the clappers! Am averaging 27.6 for mixed driving, after one month. I reckon a heavy CLK500 will be not be much quicker in a straight line and nothing like so nimble on a winding road. I looked at a CLK (but not the 500) and they are a lot bigger than the SLK and it was space I didn't need. As others have said try 'em both and go for the one you like! Good luck.

Carmike, hope i dont upset the mods but I have today had in an SLK350 and a CLK500!!! So you could compare both side by side if they may be suitable? No obligation to buy mine, but may help to make up your mind..

CLK will be much faster, more fun, and much nicer noise. and more practical as you said.

The CLK is not faster none of the 500s can keep up with the SLK350 I know I was that driver. Its down to ragtop V hardtop and 2 seats V 4 seats.

gary

The CLK is not faster none of the 500s can keep up with the SLK350 I know I was that driver. Its down to ragtop V hardtop and 2 seats V 4 seats.

gary

Yes it is faster.

Your talking about a CLK500 (388bhp and weighs 1660kg), goes 0-60 in 5.2sec and comparing it to a SLK350 (305bhp weighs 1485kg) that goes to 0-60 in 5.4sec

Giving the CLK a bhp/ton of 233.7 and the SLK a bhp/ton of 205.4.

No comparison.

Yes it is faster.

Your talking about a CLK500 (388bhp and weighs 1660kg), goes 0-60 in 5.2sec and comparing it to a SLK350 (305bhp weighs 1485kg) that goes to 0-60 in 5.4sec

Giving the CLK a bhp/ton of 233.7 and the SLK a bhp/ton of 205.4.

No comparison.

Assuming it is one of the newer 500's you are right - think these came in around 05/06 if I remember correctly. The older CLK55 had 367bhp and if I remember correctly, the older 500 had around 306bhp.

I thoroughly enjoyed my CLK55 AMG Cab - it is still for sale at the dealer I traded it to back in May!

By the way, make sure the hood works properly and there are no unusual clicking noises - this is an expensive problem to fix!

I would go for a CLK

funnily enough last week i was looking for a car for my wife

originally she wanted a VW beetle (new shape) cab but when i saw the prices of the CLK500 cab (i got distracted on autotrader :D ) i showed her a picture of a CLK 500 cab and she is all ears!, i am still saving up for it so will be in 12-14 months before i buy one and they will be even cheaper, we will keep her old picasso which won't be worth very much anyway in case we need to go somewhere with kids, bikes and or huge amounts of luggage!

although i have just read 0-60 in 5.2 seconds!, mine "only" does it in 6.9 seconds, might have to do a swap!

The clk500 is an absolute monster, 5.5 litres of pure V8 brute force. Its probably on the same level of the BMW e39 M5 which was discontinued in 2004/2005? and the clk500 came out in 2002ish!

The clk500 is an absolute monster, 5.5 litres of pure V8 brute force. Its probably on the same level of the BMW e39 M5 which was discontinued in 2004/2005? and the clk500 came out in 2002ish!

Yes the CLK500 with c. 306bhp came out in 2002 but the upgraded V8 with 388bhp came out around the same time as the CLK63 (2005/06). The reason was that the new 5.4 V8 engine that replaced the original 5.0 V8 in the CLK500 was more powerful than the AMG version of the car, hence the CLK63.

Its probably on the same level of the BMW e39 M5 which was discontinued in 2004/2005?
Not at all. The E39 M5 with it's 5.0L V8 is a completely different drive. It feels significantly more potent than the CLK500 or even CLK55, although rated at 400BHP. The way it revs to the red line gives it the typical M-power performance feel.

Wasn't talking about "how it feels to drive". Was talking about its speed.

Just to narrow down the search, which would be better the 5 speed auto or the 7 speed auto with the 5000cc CLK. I would go for the later 5.5L but have not got the dosh for the 05/06 model.

How much were u looking to spend?

I've heard better things about the 5 spd box than the 7 spd box... aparently the 7 spd box is continuously hunting for gears... but i wouldn't know a great deal about that since i haven't tried either,got a 5pd on mine but its manual :).

Get a facelifted one if at all possible.

I have had a CLK 500 for the last 2 years. It has the 7 speed box which has been fine. The changes are almost seamless. Effortless cruiser although you will notice the big lump up front if you push on a bit. Averaged 26mpg which is more than reasonable. Glad I took out a PCP as values have plumeted. I have found tyre wear to be reasonable have just changed the rears after 20k but it does do mostly motorway & dual carriageway work. Originally was looking at a SLK350 but decided upon the coupe. Good luck with your search I am sure that you will get a lot of car for very little money in todays economic climate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom