• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Cloned car advice

markjay

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
2022 Hyundai IONIQ 5 RWD / 2016 Suzuki Vitara AWD
One of our company cars had its plates stolen while parked in the street.

We've reported it to the police, and also ordered replacement plates.

The obvious worry is that the car gets cloned and we get inaundated with PCNs and NIPS and what have you, the other worry is that the car will now get flagged up and stopped by ANPR-equipped police cars looking for the cloned car....

One option would be to buy a cheap private plate and put it on the car (the car is on a business lease, so there are a couple more steps involved, but it's doable). My question, however, is if anyone tried - in similar circumstances - to get the DVLA to issue the car with a new different (not private) plate?

Let the DVLA know it's been cloned, but getting them to give you a replacement registration will almost certainly go nowhere.

You can get the private plate put on a business lease easy enough just takes a bit longer and usually incurs a "processing fee"

If you are worried enough a cheap plate would stop the hassle i suppose

Getting another plate is the only sensible option; it will stop you receiving fines and it will mean that any ANPR hits on the stolen plate will 100% be on the cloned car. The user of the cloned car will soon change your old plates once they see that the number is not in existence - then you can revert to the original number in 6 or 12 months time.

@markjay can’t you just retain existing Reg for £80 and they’ll assign a new one….

@markjay can’t you just retain existing Reg for £80 and they’ll assign a new one….

The existing reg is the car's original one - i.e. not a private plate - I don't think it can be put on retention?

The existing reg is the car's original one - i.e. not a private plate - I don't think it can be put on retention?
I know my dad managed to retain a plate from an old Sierra it was B888 KRM. I'm not sure if this was at scrappage time but was certainly do-able in the 90's

Pretty sure you can, the easiest and cheapest option if you just want a different reg assigned.

OK, will give it a go...

I do wonder why number plates are actually stolen, which gives an immediate red flag to the owner that their vehicle is now cloned. Easy to obtain plates on the internet or make your own with the right equipment. I guess thieves are simply looking for a quick fix.

I do wonder why number plates are actually stolen, which gives an immediate red flag to the owner that their vehicle is now cloned. Easy to obtain plates on the internet or make your own with the right equipment. I guess thieves are simply looking for a quick fix.

My guess is that if you order plates online then it's potentially traceable? Especially if committing a serious offence e.g. drugs etc.

Getting another plate is the only sensible option; it will stop you receiving fines and it will mean that any ANPR hits on the stolen plate will 100% be on the cloned car. The user of the cloned car will soon change your old plates once they see that the number is not in existence - then you can revert to the original number in 6 or 12 months time
Just a thought, what is stopping the thief coming back and stealing your new plate when they realise they can no longer use the stolen one ?
If it's been stolen to use for clone purposes, does the OP end up in a cycle of expense replacing the plates ?

Not sure if available but could get some security screws [if they exist for numberplates] they are usually a 2 pronged head that you need a special tool for. I mean not completely undefeatable but maybe enough to put off any potential scumbag.

You can retain any plate AFAIK.

I don't think you can retain one which DVLA has provided to replace an original.

In this scenario, the OP can retain the original plate and DVLA will assign a new plate, but that new assigned one cannot then be retained. ...I think...

I don't think you can retain one which DVLA has provided to replace an original.

In this scenario, the OP can retain the original plate and DVLA will assign a new plate, but that new assigned one cannot then be retained. ...I think...
I think the above rule was introduced years back as people were taking pre 1963 registrations from classic cars, that cycle could continue ad infinitum otherwise!

A note on the V5C would then be in place to that effect.

This type of crime is on the increase, and you will see way more of it come Ulez time.
A friend had the same happen to them and got speeding fines every week. for quite some time. A marker was put on the plate but its not an ideal solution.

You wouldn't need to retain the plate, the DVLA (to the best of my knowledge) have never issues an older plate to another car unless it has significant value.
Even after 5 years I put my private plate on retention and got the old original plate back on the car before I sold it.

My guess is that if you order plates online then it's potentially traceable?

Unregistered suppliers tend not to put their details on the plates they make, so it would be hard to know where they'd come from. Some are based outside the UK anyway and probably couldn't be forced to give out customer details, even if they kept records.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom