Cloud Backup.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
Having just had another near catastrophe with the hard drive failing on my (less than 12 months old) Toshiba i7 laptop, can anyone recommend a reliable Cloud Storage site, please?

Ideally, I would like to be able to access my stored data from my mobile phone and laptop when not in the office.

TIA.

Paul.

I use Crashplan. Its backup software. For $60/year (£40), you get unlimited storage online. Its great. Its US based so their other services arent available in the UK -- like "Back it up fast" - send them a hard drive copy. Or fast recovery when they send you a hard drive full of your backed up data

I also have a dropbox account which is good for like a small pocket of data that i can access easily everywhere. (and backs up my photos from android) - I can get you a link if you like, that earns me more MBs. Another is SugarSync which also has great support, like dropbox, for multiple operating systems. These services have limited space though although you can increase them by inviting friends or doing their tutorials etc. Its still very limited for a free backup solution.

A note on dropbox - If you have a Samsung Galaxy device (phone/tablet) you get 50GB for free by just signing in on the device. Thats what pulled me away from Sugarsync to Dropbox.

Hope that helps.
ta

Last edited:
carbonite or windows azure

Ive heard Carbonite is quite good yeah. I opted for CrashPlan over it as I used their software for a local PC backup before moving to their online backup service.

Windows Azure backup is still in preview though and its mainly aimed at servers I believe. Not really suitable for a laptop Id imagine. (IMHO)

Currently using Carbonite for the past several years...
Have had no problems in backup or restoring.

Why make it easy for the CIA? I'm joking all you guys at GCHQ who are listening I'm joking!:rolleyes:

So, just a few to choose from? :confused:

Looks like I'll be busy researching the recommendations.

Thanks for the help. :thumb:

Just use Skydrive from Microsoft or Google drive never failed me both have my encrypted work data on them :thumb:

If you can overcome the paranoia then mega.co.uz is superb, and fast.

If you cant then Dropbox.

:)

mozy is pretty good. I have been using for 3+ years and it just works and very simple to setup. It also allows you to configure a local backup copy as well, which i use to a partition on a second hard drive.

Just make sure there's none of the wife in "those shots" on the cloud :eek:.

Some things just have a way of making the net :D.

Try DropBox

I use Dropbox, cost's me Zip and give's me 52GB free

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom