CLS Reg plate led light fitment.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ElahiStrength

Car
CLS 55
Hello Chaps,

I am sure this has been spoken about before.

My car a CLS has led reg plate lights, one went off, so I got the replacement.

I have removed the cover from the boot, but there is a torx screw on both side out near the plate which hold a silver plate, which I need to remove. It can not be undone and as the inside does not have a thread.

Can someone advise how I remove these two torx screws to get the silver plate off so I can get the led lights in.

I smashed the old one out lol.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 13
Just unscrew the lenses, you don't need to touch the chrome trim.

The light fitting has a lip to it and it can fit from inside or from outside the chrome strip would need to be removed.

The base has abnormal shape its not the lense that is stopping it from going inside.

You must have an aftermarket lense in? :dk: I did mine a couple of weeks ago by unscrewing the light lense, 2 Min job

Maybe so pal, did say it was for the cls, could you advise how you take the plate off?

I have the exact same car as you.

Do you have a screwless numberplate surround?

So its either screwed on or stuck on. Just pull it off if its the latter.

Sorry I may have misunderstood pal.

To take the plate off ( the chrome looking one ) with torx screws needs to be pulled off?

Assuming yours is a W219 CLS55, I had a look at WIS.

It looks a right PITA to get at the license plate lamps. You have to remove the lenses, then remove the chrome plate, which appears to be stuck on, and then remove the boot lid liner to get at the body of the license plate lamps from inside.

Removing the glue seems to involve 'eraser discs' and the procedure for replacing involves bonding the plate to the boot lid. There are also many warnings about protecting places on the boot lid (with tape) from damage.

Unless you are quite handy, I would recommend getting a professional to it.

Hopefully, someone who has already done this will come along with more advice.

Had a look at the units you linked to on Ebay, they appear to be the complete license plate light unit i.e body and lens. Perhaps KillerHERTZ and others just replaced the bulbs with leds, only needing the lens to be removed?

Assuming yours is a W219 CLS55, I had a look at WIS.

It looks a right PITA to get at the license plate lamps. You have to remove the lenses, then remove the chrome plate, which appears to be stuck on, and then remove the boot lid liner to get at the body of the license plate lamps from inside.

Removing the glue seems to involve 'eraser discs' and the procedure for replacing involves bonding the plate to the boot lid. There are also many warnings about protecting places on the boot lid (with tape) from damage.

Unless you are quite handy, I would recommend getting a professional to it.

Hopefully, someone who has already done this will come along with more advice.

I have removed everything just the plate is it the way, its really glued on? It has two torx screws outside by the other side is square shaped instead of being threaded?

Just looked at WIS again, even worse news - it says the panel will be damaged during removal and must be replaced.

Try Googling for AR88.50-P-5080TX this is the MB instruction sheet for removing the chrome panel. (AR82.10-P-5161TX is for removing the license plate units which refers to the one above.)

That's bloody crazy, you have to damage the panel then to remove it to gain access to changing the bulb, bloody nightmare, I think Ill adapt the lights and break em in lol.

Thanks for the references pal much appreciated.

The 5080 procedure says you can remove the lens before undoing the screws and heating the chrome panel with a hot air gun.

Thus you can replace the bulbs without attacking the chrome panel. This only needs to come off if you wish to remove the license plate lamp body.

PS you can get an MB ECP (parts) and WIS (workshop instructions) DVD on Ebay for about £15. This is a lot of data that will allow you to lookup parts and instructions specific to your car by VIN.

Last edited:
The leds did not have screws to remove the lens. Had to be broken, tried that with the old ones. Because the led's size the chrome panel has to come off.

What is the purpose of the two torx screws? Would have made sense if they held the chrome rather then being glued.

It looks like the screws hold the centre of the chrome panel, and the glue is for the 'wings'.

Much appreciated pal, makes sense. I think I shall have to think of a way to adapt them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom