CLS320 CDI gearbox problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rmvembe

Car
E55K
Hi Guys,

I need your expertise on a problem I have encountered. I've got a CLS ith 89k on the clock. It had a gearbox service at 80k and has generally been reliable. A few weeks ago when driving it went into limp mode and I was limited to 3k revs. A restart resolved this. A few more day later booting it, I could feel a thump when I let of the accelerator after it had kicked down. This then led to getting stuck in gear. So far I've been getting stuck in 1st, 3rd or 7th. No real pattern upon from it happens frequently on junctions rundabouts etc.

I get the following transmission codes:
P0717
P2767

Research has led me to believe I need a new conductor plate which I've had quote for £800 for a replacement and fitting etc from merc.

However, I had merc diagnose it to make sure and after a short test drive the mechanic said It was a valve body because when I go into limp mode changing the gears manually has no effect on the gearbox??? He reckons even in limp mode when it's stuck in gear, manual selection should still work etc For the valve body the cost then rises to £1.4k (btw its the vgs2).

Are merc right or are they trying to rip me off here? I've also read somewhere that getting a valve body is easier for them than getting just the conductor plate. I've also attached the torque obd output, ignore the rest of the codes as they are all linked to an o2 sensor which I know about.

Thanks in advance.
cN9rTmtj0SUfkXMSHrOsgsEC9rR-NHGyCuI7PImjP-42kWA2Ai2xfQ9YhruTm1XMXjd64jmyFXqBUw6-uLTHcgkI2u9-Wc9D0_xrI74E-zf2pHQC6Yd4j0vPEV9wGO8_uKxqL2yYn67xMpnrSQuUciFfbZJQvSPSyrRJ226o8vZb1FsufukhNY3-jQIKrPdGot1nDxCSNOMSZKZjdunHG4bRcC9fygX-KPlm2Hk_f7ahgv_J0i9kSf5x36q7r_b4fKzvoXOM6a3G2E875g_x2vD2JCY5__2mQlXuYieUEmjTUGLbKgiNzD8vzr0fkk8Lc9Mbm7GOnjSwFha5qRvFBC2IWlJEqCeEppUevMDUpumwsHGvpmkb6ypy7yeC0qkuGDHDZHJFhfMCkLB3lcu1KRf0dt9fzNfLFLm63tHgitmiKiGQGOqeSabT1GFQidXorXcW40HMcZlVDNYuPy3HGVXQw3iek7z8QJy0lwR_0m97gHo-3FOFSUIx8P4nwb0JPu8Gac9Oa6qSpLR7oQU5GCzQEM3FkMYst28NWq6lxSTHMTyIPAj1oYe4P8UzMa5xKxfY2YW0SwDo_MSZEvIJHl4e9sG3aaM4E-lV3cGUhkUMvH8VfA=w332-h589-no

Last edited:
I would get a second opinion.

It may be that you do need a replacement valve body, but I would want to see Star diagnostic and test output before spending the extra. Especially as 722.9 limp mode is documented as only making 2nd and reverse gears available (GF27.60-P-3012N).

I have a W220 S320cdi and a few months back it would not go past 2nd gear, all symptoms pointed to the conductor plate. and with the car being on 200k and I had not serviced the gear box since purchase on 120k it seemed like the obvious culprit.

Upon getting it diagnosed via star it turned out to be a dying battery. Saved me a £500.

I've checked the battery and it's still very healthy. I drove the car again today and while on the motorway i noticed the revs climbed while I was doing 75mph at roughly 2k revs so I'd imagine I was in 5th/6th maybe. I paid more close attention and when Im crusing in town the car gets stuck in 2nd. On the motorway depending on what speed it usually gets stuck in 5th to 7th depending on the speed. I'll see If I can get a 2nd opinion and I'll let you know.

Do you happen to know the obvious signs of a failing valve body?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160917-222226.jpg
    Screenshot_20160917-222226.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 29
Those symptoms are similar to the ones I experienced last year. It turned out to be a failing electroplate which was diagnosed in about 2 minutes when my indy connected it to his Star.

Replacing my electroplate (new MB part) cost £750 in total, but was covered by warranty as I had only had the car for 4 days. (Wonder why PO sold it?)

There is a cheap alternative, around £170, which involves removing your electroplate and sending it to an outfit in Bulgaria who repair your plate and return it to you. This saves on SCN coding as its your original plate. thus no change of serial number.

Whereabouts are you located? Forum members could probably recommend reliable indies nearby.

Last edited:
There is a cheap alternative, around £170, which involves removing your electroplate and sending it to an outfit in Bulgaria who repair your plate and return it to you. This saves on SCN coding as its your original plate. thus no change of serial number.

Sorry to jump in. Would you happen to have any kore details on this one? Mine is possibly on the way and as it just so happens I am Bulgarian. I go back there twice a year and it would not be out of my way to take the part back and get it fixed while on holiday.

Codger49

Did you have a jerk when stopping from 2nd to 1st? I can explain this as the same feeling when you harsh brake and the car jolts to a stop?

Codger49

Did you have a jerk when stopping from 2nd to 1st? I can explain this as the same feeling when you harsh brake and the car jolts to a stop?

No, I only had a refusal to change into a higher gear. I think the diagnostic message referred to loss of signal from input speed sensor.

There have been many posts about jerky gearchanges, many talk about fluid changes and levels, and also about getting the latest software loaded into the gearbox. My gearbox had a software update when the plate was replaced and although not noticeably jerky before, it was certainly extremely smooth afterwards with imperceptible changes.

You really need to get your car onto Star at an experienced MB indy, there could be so many different causes - these are pretty complicated gearboxes and control systems.

I know these are complicated. I just a W211 E270 and that was a dream car to work on as long as it wasn't the SBC. I did take it to merc and I was abit taken back that 2mins of driving after reading the code, the mechanic said valve body and I don't have any of the symptoms.

Well a indy will be able to change it cheaper than MB and as been mentioned that Bulgarian mob use international carriers you post it to them and they send it back,and as it is your part returned repaired even you local good mechanic can change it as well it depends on your pocket ,this may not help but try a gearbox reset, turn your key to the number two position all the dash lights should be on put foot on gas pedal and push it right down to the floor and keep it there wait for 20 secs then turn key to 0 position take foot off gas pedal wait two minutes and then start and drive see if it is any better,as I say it might not help

Well if Prestige has used them ,then they must do what they say and repair and return your part quickly,then I would use them if I had trouble with the gearbox

BlackC55 said:
We have "used" them....:rolleyes:

Is that "used" as in once and never again or used as in they're ok?
Cheers

Well I have an e class 320cdi with the 722.6 gearbox which displayed similar symptoms. I successfully fixed it myself by changing the conductor plate and atf . Mine was in limp mode And I couldn't change gear manually so I'm not sure that necessarily means valve body is kaput. Also have you checked the atf level because that can have an effect and I would have thought Mercedes would have done that?

I've bit the bullet and gone for the valve body as a kit. I'll let you know once it's all fixed.

Hi guys,

The valvebody has been carried out and the car feels very different. I'll post back after a few miles. Total cost in the end was £1.5k

Codger49

Yes exactly on my car, manual gear changes seem ok, but in auto it changes gear before it should and then struggles.

Hi guys,

The valvebody has been carried out and the car feels very different. I'll post back after a few miles. Total cost in the end was £1.5k
Hey I'm late to this party but do you remember what happened with this one? How was it after driving for a while? Mine stopped changing gears today and clunks when going into reverse or drive...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom