Clunking when releasing parking brake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SarahAnn200

Car
CLA35 shooting brake
Hello everyone,

I've had my C class estate for a few weeks now and it's my first auto.

The only problem I have with it now is, when I am ready to move away in the car from it being parked, I have my foot on the brake and release the parking brake (it's the one with the 'handle' to the right of the dash), it goes with a 'clunk' and the cars moves forward slightly even with my foot on the brake.
My husband says he can hear the 'groan and clunk' from outside of the car and people do look at the car at petrol stations when it's doing it.

Is this normal? I asked the dealer to check it when it went back in for stone chips but it's the same as when it went in (I thought the work on the parking brake clips might have fixed things but it's the same.)

Both loan cars that I borrowed (both newer and less miles) didn't do it but they had the parking brake on the stalk.

Thanks for any advice.

Every M-B I've owned (car or commercial, although can't remember on the 124) has had a clunking footbrake.

You can lessen the clunk by putting and raising your left foot on the footbrake pedal as it releases.

They all do that ma'am.

Later cars are a bit softer, but still a bit of a clunk.
You can lessen it by putting your right foot on the footbrake and letting the pressure off the parking brake with your left foot when you pull the lever but it is a bit of a faff.

Personally, I like the foot operated parking brake but Lexus do it much better with a push on/push off arrangement.

Uh isn't it rubbish. It's the only thing I don't like about the car

Thanks for the replies. I'll make sure it has the newer parking brake if I buy another merc

Thanks again chaps for the replies and advice :thumb:

Ted - I had a Volvo V60 two cars ago and that was a similar arrangement but a lot better than the merc.

Last edited:
They all do that ma'am.

Later cars are a bit softer, but still a bit of a clunk.
You can lessen it by putting your right foot on the footbrake and letting the pressure off the parking brake with your left foot when you pull the lever but it is a bit of a faff.

Personally, I like the foot operated parking brake but Lexus do it much better with a push on/push off arrangement.

Uh isn't it rubbish. It's the only thing I don't like about the car

Thanks for the replies. I'll make sure it has the newer parking brake if I buy another merc

Thanks again chaps for the replies and advice :thumb:

Ted - I had a Volvo V60 two cars ago and that was a similar arrangement but a lot better than the merc.

I personally release the parking brake gradually using the left foot too, in my W202. The W203 seems to be more damped so often I won't (need to). If you've not had the car long, persevere with it - it will take a couple of weeks to adopt the driving technique but so long as its an auto, all makes sense and is easy to do once you're used to it.

If its a manual, I have no idea how you'd do it unless you had 3 legs.

The manually operated handbrake may seem a little old fashioned and clunky but believe me its far better than the electric type hand brake systems which can leave you immobilised if they go wrong. When driving in traffic don't use the handbrake at all when stopping momentarily------- use the HOLD facility on the footbrake- releases automatically when you apply the accelerator.:thumb:

Thanks chaps.

Paul - it's an auto so I'm going to try the tips I've been kindly given

Grober - yes I do use the 'hold' facility which I like and is working 'at the moment'. Its just when I've been parked up or when leaving the petrol station and it goes clunk/creak/groan and off we go. Merc don't include that on the advert on telly do they. The salesman said he doesn't use it, he just uses the 'Park' on the gearstick. Don't know how safe that is though.
This is why I didn't notice it on the test drive as he hadn't used the 'park brake' when he brought the car to the front of the showroom to go for a test drive and then when I parked it up, he just showed me where it was and to press it. I never actually applied it and then released it as I didn't move again once parked.
It was just the 'clunk and jerk' thing that I've been surprised with and thought that there was a fault with it.
Can't believe the car is so lovely in other ways and then there is this. Never mind, i'll try the tips.

Thanks chaps :)

i found it also depends on how much you 'put' the foot brake on. eg if you push down on it with all your weight then when you release it it does make one hell of a noise when you release it, but if you dont push so hard on the pedal but so it still applys the brake you get less of the clunk

A firmer foot on the brake will improve things...the car does want to move forward, it's in drive after all...but it shouldn't if the car is held firmly enough.

Are you talking about the clunk of the foot pedal as it springs back and hits the stop, or something to do with the shoe and drum assembly on the rear wheels?

if you feel a jump to the front when you release the brake, then you are already in D drive position... I believe you shouldn't... you should press firmilly the foot brake while in P parking position, release the parking brake and only then put the gear in D drive... if you follow this order you will not put so much stress in your parking brake and thus not so much clunk when releasing it... it shouldn't feel unconfortable... it should feel safe and sturdy...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom