COMAND version 10 upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

verytalldave

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200K Cubanite
Just upgraded my COMAND disk from 6.3 to 10.
What a waste of money.:eek:
Doing my normal work run and other various 'local' journeys its almost indistinquishable between the two versions. I could have saved myself the cost and bother.
Unless you are going abroad and/or need to use the latest mapping in the UK then I suggest you dont bother with version 10.
I, in my infinate wisdom perhaps expected a tad too much from MB.
My eldest daughter with her partner came round to see me last Saturday. He has just bought a spanking new Audi S4 with built in satnav.
The Audi satnav has got a really nice display. Much more modern than mine and in many ways easier to read. The graphics are miles better. I was hoping for something perhaps similar. Something different in appearance to what I had with version 6.3. But no. The only visual difference I can see is that the colours are ever so slighty different and the areas marked as wooded now have lots of little trees marked on them.
Big deal.
But you would be pushed to tell.
So anybody using a version 6.1 or later - save your monies dont bother to upgrade.

Has anyone else made the same observations or is it just me?:doh:

So who wants to buy a V6.3 disk?:confused:

Going cheap.:wallbash:

Why not sell the new disk if you did not find it any better, you would get better money from that.

How come you were expecting the navigation device change to something like on a new Audi if you only bought a new DVD? This new Audi navigation device would not improve a lot from a new DVD once it gets equally old as your car is today.

The main purpose of a new DVD is to get new and up-to-date map info. MB is not going to make Comand screen look like a Christmas tree anyway, perhaps you were more referring to colours that would help reading different content from the screen, that could be fair if the LCD supports that.

But did you find a lot of roads missing, roads that have existed more than half a year, a year perhaps? Unfortunately that seems to happen, the data base supplier does not take into account even customer feedback in some obvious cases. I think that is more worth complaining.

All fair points...............
I will keep the new disc now. Its all installed so I might as well.
I dont think I ever expected the COMAND screen to light up like a 'Christmas tree', but it would have been nice to have had some new graphics and even just different fonts maybe. Something to make it just look visually "new" and justify the cost. Not just an updated database and bug removals.
In the words of The Who............wont get fooled again......

I've no idea how to update my system. I have the HDD Version which to be fair is utterly brilliant. I believe the dealers can update it when they do a service, but so far not one has offered the update....and I've no idea if one is available.

Thanks for that - I've got V6.3 and will stop looking for an upgrade now!

The main frustration I find is that many roads are not in the index, even though they're on the map if you know where to look. So journey planning involves a multimap print-out and scrolling to the location, saving it, then switching to navigation!

Not sure your comparison to a NEW Audi is fair - the new system in W204 is a lot better.

Last edited:
mapping inhformation is supplied to Mercedes-Benz on a regular basis and periodically a new disc is bought out. The chances of us noticing these updates are pretty slim and contrary to the literature, I have found it sometimes takes years for new roads to appear.

The owners of the mapping software try to say they have cars out on the roads which keepfeeding in new information, but I dread to think what information is fed into the system as it took an eternity for the M6 Toll Road to be added and I got fed-up with being told my main dealer was only a few miles away :devil:

I had V 10.0 put in my ML when it was serviced back in Feburary, it was offered as a free update to a Feb 2008 car.
I think that it is actually quite good as it does not tell me I'm 'Off Road' at every recently completed bit of new road the way my 2007 S Class hard drive version does.
My opinion may by clouded by the fact that it was a freebie and that I have something older to constantly compare it to.:eek:
I like the on-screen ETA which takes about 5 mouse strokes to get up in the S!
It does seem to take a little longer to learn the best routes compared to the hard drive!

Who looks at the screen anyway ?

Surely you just look at your dash readout (set to nav) to inform you of the situation and listen for the prompts.

The real excitement is ahead of you out of the windscreen !

I've no idea how to update my system. I have the HDD Version which to be fair is utterly brilliant. I believe the dealers can update it when they do a service, but so far not one has offered the update....and I've no idea if one is available.

The HDD based Comand map data is updated with a new DVD just like the older ones. You just don't need that DVD after the update.

I agree that these devices are pretty good but I doubt the map database is any better than that on a DVD based system as long as the data is equally fresh for both.

Like glojo states, sometimes some details and even very significant items do not reach the map database. Locally we have extremely small roads covered in detail but then some major changes or new roads have been missing from the map data for years.

Some claim that the feedback system has helped solving issues but I've been waiting a few being solved for a really long time. Navteq, I believe TeleAtlas too, have an on-line service where one can check if certain details are included to their current database.

Hi,

Map updates for portable (Tom Tom, Navman etc.) sat navs are available on a yearly basis and nowadays include speed limits and speed cameras etc.......which most manufacturer systems don't :eek:

I still use my Navman (for above reasons) even though XF has a decent (standard) sat nav system.

Cheers,

The HDD based Comand map data is updated with a new DVD just like the older ones. You just don't need that DVD after the update.

I agree that these devices are pretty good but I doubt the map database is any better than that on a DVD based system as long as the data is equally fresh for both.

Like glojo states, sometimes some details and even very significant items do not reach the map database. Locally we have extremely small roads covered in detail but then some major changes or new roads have been missing from the map data for years.

Some claim that the feedback system has helped solving issues but I've been waiting a few being solved for a really long time. Navteq, I believe TeleAtlas too, have an on-line service where one can check if certain details are included to their current database.

Really ? Where would I get one of these mythical DVD's from ? Apart from the usual dealers - can I source it from somewhere else such as MB Online or perhaps our chaps at Comand.co.uk ?

I upgraded to v10 a while ago and whilst I agree with you that the functionality hasn't changed that much, at least my road is now on the map... The route, road, and POI data is much more uptodate.

Re Audi's version - I agree. I had an S3 with nav before my C55 and the graphics were excellent. My wife has an X5 and hers is almost 3D... Merc is way behind...

Re Audi's version - I agree. I had an S3 with nav before my C55 and the graphics were excellent. My wife has an X5 and hers is almost 3D... Merc is way behind...

Current Comand units display "3D" or bird's eye view but I assume you mean more than that. I have not seen the Audi and I could change my mind if I saw it but on the MB I prefer the traditional view instead of the bird's eye view. The route options are important, other than that may look nice but could just create confusion.

Really ? Where would I get one of these mythical DVD's from ? Apart from the usual dealers - can I source it from somewhere else such as MB Online or perhaps our chaps at Comand.co.uk ?

At least you can buy new map DVDs from your dealer. Some other sources may sell a bit cheaper but I'm not familiar enough with those to give any examples. If you find an on-line shop, try the part number B6 782 3956 (I have not updated my data since 05/2009 when this was the latest disk).

mapping inhformation is supplied to Mercedes-Benz on a regular basis and periodically a new disc is bought out. The chances of us noticing these updates are pretty slim and contrary to the literature, I have found it sometimes takes years for new roads to appear.

The owners of the mapping software try to say they have cars out on the roads which keepfeeding in new information, but I dread to think what information is fed into the system as it took an eternity for the M6 Toll Road to be added and I got fed-up with being told my main dealer was only a few miles away :devil:

Glad you said all that.
One of the things I checked after I installed the V10 disk was my ex-wifes estate up in Downham Market. She has lived there for over 4 years now and her road is still not shown. Not that I am overly worried about that specific point, but it does call into question how current all the other stuff is - or not - as the case maybe.
I think when MB charge circa £200 for these update "latest" disks, the least they can do is ensure that the information IS as up to date as possible. Not be 4 years or more out of date.
Glad I didnt pay full price or I would really have got out my pram.............:eek:

Last edited:
I think when MB charge circa £200 for these update "latest" disks, the least they can do is ensure that the information IS as up to date as possible. Not be 4 years or more out of date.
I don't think MB can do a lot to improve this. It is the map data supplier that should take care of an up-to-date database. I don't think one can point another car brand (or even a standalone navigation device) using the same map supplier and equally new map DVDs would have better road coverage than MB. Selecting another map supplier can help at some locations but the other supplier would likely have better data for another location.

The problem really is to convince those map data suppliers to update missing streets or even roads.

... The problem really is to convince those map data suppliers to update missing streets or even roads.

That's not the problem at all. I used to work for TeleAtlas and we had often had updates in our map database before the road had even been opened. For example, when the M4 / A34 junction was re-engineered, we had the data in our map-base derived from the Highways Agency's detailed engineering drawings before the junction itself was opened.

TelAtlas work closely with local authorities and government agencies including the Ordnance Survey to make sure their map data is bang up to date. The delays come in further down the line and are associated with any software and firmware updates that also reside on the disk and the unit manufacturer's -and MB's - own testing processes plus, I am sure the need to separate releases far enough apart for people not to always be "hanging on for the next release".

DVD distribution is a far from ideal mechanism for distributing map updates but, until the next technological step is made (over-the-air updates for example), I cannot see things changing.

That's not the problem at all. I used to work for TeleAtlas and we had often had updates in our map database before the road had even been opened. For example, when the M4 / A34 junction was re-engineered, we had the data in our map-base derived from the Highways Agency's detailed engineering drawings before the junction itself was opened.

TelAtlas work closely with local authorities and government agencies including the Ordnance Survey to make sure their map data is bang up to date. The delays come in further down the line and are associated with any software and firmware updates that also reside on the disk and the unit manufacturer's -and MB's - own testing processes plus, I am sure the need to separate releases far enough apart for people not to always be "hanging on for the next release".

DVD distribution is a far from ideal mechanism for distributing map updates but, until the next technological step is made (over-the-air updates for example), I cannot see things changing.
When I complained to Navteq they stated they send updates to Mercedes-Benz on a very regular basis. I followedthat enquiry up with Mercedes-Benz and they stated they hold onto this mapping information and apply it the their updates which they fetch out two or three times a year. Are we suggesting that Mercedes remove some of this mapping information before writing the DVD's?

I do get tired when folks complain about Mercedes-Benzripping usoff regarding the price of these DVD's Yes they are blooming expensive... Yes Tom, Tom upgrades are cheaper but that is like saying a Mondeo is cheaper than a BMW

I used to have a Pioneer Navigation system that used Navteq mapping software. When I wanted the latest DVD it cost £360!!!!! Is that cheaper than a COMAND DVD?

I have now replaced that system to the laterst Kenwood system and that worked out even more expensive than COMAND and doesthat have all the bells and whistles that I have with the Mercedessystem.

BUT

The Kenwood system has prettier pictures :devil:

Do I prefer the pretty pictures (graphics) to all the options I have with COMAND? Of coursenot

I want the navigation system to give clear, concise instructions, but I would like to see the BMW Heads Up Display feature :devil::devil:

I am told that linguatronic gives theCOMAND system full post code access

The difference is a £99 Tom Tom does a better job, and is more portable :)

When I complained to Navteq they stated they send updates to Mercedes-Benz on a very regular basis. I followedthat enquiry up with Mercedes-Benz and they stated they hold onto this mapping information and apply it the their updates which they fetch out two or three times a year. Are we suggesting that Mercedes remove some of this mapping information before writing the DVD's?

I do get tired when folks complain about Mercedes-Benzripping usoff regarding the price of these DVD's Yes they are blooming expensive... Yes Tom, Tom upgrades are cheaper but that is like saying a Mondeo is cheaper than a BMW

I used to have a Pioneer Navigation system that used Navteq mapping software. When I wanted the latest DVD it cost £360!!!!! Is that cheaper than a COMAND DVD?

I have now replaced that system to the laterst Kenwood system and that worked out even more expensive than COMAND and doesthat have all the bells and whistles that I have with the Mercedessystem.

BUT

The Kenwood system has prettier pictures :devil:

Do I prefer the pretty pictures (graphics) to all the options I have with COMAND? Of coursenot

I want the navigation system to give clear, concise instructions, but I would like to see the BMW Heads Up Display feature :devil::devil:

I am told that linguatronic gives theCOMAND system full post code access

It does yes - I have full post codes and its brilliant. Wouldn't say its the linguatronic though - think its more the HD system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom