Comand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Maff

What was the part num of your COMAND (you can find it in one of those diagnostic menus) or take it out :)

Im trying to work out which COMAND units can be coded to read the speed signal and lights signal from the C2/A connectors

- The 210 540 54 89 doesnt seem to be able to
- Some CLK units seem to be
- The ML units can

Steve - I think you need to find the CAN bus stuff in your car and connect it to your "non CANbus" comand to make the lights work on it. The CAN bus "distributor" will be in one of the wiring ducts in the footwells (sill side), and you should be able to connect to it there. I will find out if it connects up to one of the old APS-4 connectors behind the head unit,but im pretty sure it doesnt.

Somewhere I have a "CAN" twisted pair cable from distributor to head unit - I will try and dig it out for you and send it - give me a couple of days ...

Cheers
R

Edited as I just saw Richards Post above !

I had a diagnostic check today at the dealer and they found comand ok, but still couldnt get the day/night function to work. I am completely baffled. I 've got the right comand 4889 for the right car W210 pre canbus. The technician mentioned in passing that he thougth the lighting info came from the canbus. I notice thatwhen I put the light switch on, all the normal dash switches light up exactly at the same time except for the climate control display - it comes a second or two later - that delay i am presuming is to do with the canbus signal ... so I wonder if I need to tap into the wire that illuminates the climate control??

Richard, Have you a picture of what a CAn bus distributor looks like?? I ask because I have just bought a new wiring loom for the old APS Travel pilot so I can sell it as a working unit and I noticed some 6 way connector blocks that look like they should have wires pluged in . Given what you mentioned a while ago about maybe the diagnostics look to pin 32 on W210 with APS rather than 33 and what teh technician said today, I am thinking that you are right (as usual!) there is a canbus link we should be using somehere. ...

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Richard / Maff

Comand 4889 in E class

CFG : 21 OD 07 ie as before

Radimpulse: 30 ie as before

Diag error list

SAE code Type Cnt State

B1762 0x0000 002 P

B1779 0x0000 012 A

D2B Components

Pos Act Config

000 108 108

001 190 190

I only have 1 component , a MB D2b CD changer.

basically, since my visit to the dealer, nothing has changed.

None of the comands (besides a 163 comand) will light up automatically in the W210 (or whatever other car) when the lightswitch is activated because these cars get the illumination pulse from CANBUS (like the climate control does as well!). You cannot hook into the wires that illuminate the climate control because they are not there...there is only a CANBUS high and a CANBUS low wire that make the climate control light up (I looked into that long ago after I added a 1996 climate control in my pre CANBUS 1993 C250D in which the lights of the climate control come on very late and are not to be dimmed by the dashlight dimmer).

The leftside steered MB models have a CANBUS connector in the passenger side footwell (at the A-pillar) in which you can connect some additional connectors (I have the partnumbers for the fitting connectors somewhere) in order to "splice" into the CANBUS system in an OEM way. AFter this CANBUS is connected to your comand (pos 8 and 9 of the C2 connector), it should light up with the dashillumination...wich is what I wanted to try prior to my US departure in my father's 99 C220CDI but due to a lack of time...I didn't get around to do so.

When a 48 89 comand is connected to a newstyle 210 with steering wheel controls, it functions perfectly with those steering wheel controls, so the unit is suiteable for receiving CANBUS signals (yes, the illumination and switching on/off functions properly then as well)...
The only downside of a non CANBUS 48 89 comand in a newstyle 210 is that the navigation screen sits decentered in the dashcluster even though the dashcluster is set to centered (this is something that can be changed in cars with the CANBUS comands).

On a sidenote: the 163 units do not listen to steering wheel controls at all.

greetingz,

MbenzNL

Great explanation, thanks Steve

Yes I would appreciate part numbers for the can bus connectors.

Do you have a picture of what a can bus plug looks like, or can you try to describe its size, colour, number of contacts etc.

:)

Originally posted by MBenzNL
None of the comands (besides a 163 comand) will light up
As an aside, there are some CLK units that can be "coded" as though they were in a ML and they behave just like a ML unit except that they need speed signal on C2 pin 6 not A-pin-1

- One of the guys at my local dealer has put a CLK unit into a C (202) and it all works fine when coded as a ML.
- I dont know what Maff's unit is, but that works fine aswell in his ML once I coded it for a ML. - I dont think it was a CLK unit ..

The only downside of a non CANBUS 48 89 comand in a newstyle 210 is that the navigation screen sits decentered in the dashcluster even though the dashcluster is set to centered (this is something that can be changed in cars with the CANBUS comands).

Steve, I think this may be fixed by the MY01 update - MJ00 software was broken in this respect.
If you put MJ00 software update onto a unit it wasnt meant to be (such as Maff's CL) - then the centering went all wrong - Im pretty sure the MY01 software update fixed this - and has a lot more units that it can officially be installed on

On a sidenote: the 163 units do not listen to steering wheel controls at all.
Thats a shame, I wanted to add steering wheel controls to my wife's ML - I have my black steering wheel from the SL55 - I cant tell the COMAND its in a differnet car or it will expect CAN and there isnt :-(

Cheers
R

Hi,

The COMAND in my ML is a very early E-class unit, i'll get the part number from it when I get home.

The MY01 update CD fixed the centering text issue in the CL, which it seems the MY00 update caused. (MY99 update also fixes the problem) The CL's COMAND is listed in the MY01 CD cover.

Richard

My W210 E55 comand has already got the MY2001 update ,It came with that version. The dealer also tried to apply the update but it was already on.

has any one got a picture of what a can bus distributer looks like?

Reprogramming comand as an ML

My dealer does not accept that this is possible. Could someone who has had a dealer do this please let me know which Dealer so I may contact them.

thanks

Originally posted by MBenzNL

The leftside steered MB models have a CANBUS connector in the passenger side footwell (at the A-pillar) in which you can connect some additional connectors (I have the partnumbers for the fitting connectors somewhere) in order to "splice" into the CANBUS system in an OEM way. AFter this CANBUS is connected to your comand (pos 8 and 9 of the C2 connector), it should light up with the dashillumination...
greetingz,

I found out what a CANbus distributor looks like and found one in the front drivers side sill at the door hinge end as suggested by Richard.

There was a spare connector socket but the connector Richard kindly sent me was a diffent fit so I cut it off & soldered into a pair of the existing wires. I connected hi CAN (brown wire with stripe) to C2 pin 9 and Lo CAN (plain brown wire) to C2 pin 8.

But... it made no difference to the Comand illumination feature whatsoever :confused:

Any ideas anyone??? Or have I just co*ked it up!

Are there different CAN bus distributors dotted around the car that send out different bits of information. How could I find out which CAN bus wires activate the AAC illumination for example. Would splicing directly into that pair make comand illuminate with the main car light switch?

:rock:

I have some testing of this scheduled for next week...I will keep you updated.

greetingz,

Cheers,...

but I gave up on the canbus idea & bought a megacomm Canbus Interface - it solved my problems perfectly.

Megacom take paypal now so ordering it much easier & delivery only 3 days!

:D

Originally posted by steve_bcs
but I gave up on the canbus idea & bought a megacomm Canbus Interface - it solved my problems perfectly.

If I buy a 1997 w210 and fit comand to it, can I just buy the facelift steering wheel, dash cluster and I guess some wiring to make it all work, or is there something else needed? I just wanna know so I can go ahead and buy the car ;)

dont forget the centre console needs changing from single din to double din :)

I'd suggest you try the German megacomm comand forum or the audiocomp forum . They know some stuff about comand! if you ask nicely in english you may get someone prepared to interpret for you - It worked for me.

hey nick,

how come you are changing your car?? I thought you were all set for a trip to holland to have your new comand fitted etc.

Originally posted by steve_bcs
hey nick,

how come you are changing your car?? I thought you were all set for a trip to holland to have your new comand fitted etc.

Fixed £10 penalty fine to be paid at the GTG for not reading all posts!

http://194.154.162.24/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1280&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Nick had a tumble...........

crash07.jpg

Wow

I hope Nick fared better than the car .

BTW I have been moving house - hence not had time to read all posts - honest! :(

please do not fine me !!!!:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom