• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Cordless impact wrenches

Stratman

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200 CDI '04Estate
Like this one. Are they any good? Are they a waste of money? Does a battery charge last long enough to remove and refit a wheel? (I would, of course, use a torque wrench for final tightening before the rattle gun police pile in ;))

520 Nm or 380 ft.lbs for forty five quid seems quite a bargain, especially as the kit includes impact sockets. Anyone got actual experience of them?

I have a Wolf 18v impact wrench , which wont free off an 140nm tight wheel bolt , regardless of what the numbers on the box say.

It is also quite bulky and it would probably be a nuisance to use it in confined spaces.

When removing wheels i just break the bolts free with a breaker bar and us a Dewalt impact driver to run the bolts out , and in again followed by a torque wrench.

K

45 quid seems too much of a bargin. You take off the profits and delivery costs, 20 quid unit cost? No way can anyone make that with any quality for that price.

In the past I would see a tool and think it's only a saw/drill/router and think, well it's only a motor and a few gears, it can't be that bad.. They are trust me, wasted so much money on them.

Put it towards something decent. I have the Dewalt DCF899N. It's a beast, so not great with accessing tight spots, but can be useful under a car when no room to get a breaker in.

^^^That's what I was thinking, hence the question. I'll have to see what our local fence Cash Convertors has.

Avoid Parkside 12v, I bought one as it claims to offer 400Nm breakout but only 100Nm make-up torque. Tried it a few times, would not loosen wheel nuts that had been properly torqued to 130Nm. Buy cheap buy twice! Like above, if I have to remove a wheel I use a normal socket and my torque wrench (longest lever I have) to break the bolts, then use the Parkside to spin them off then back on (and the torque wrench to fully tighten them!).

Well i have 2 battery impact guns, i have a ryobi 1 for home and sure it works good but quite often i have to crack a bolt with a breaker bar so it will come undone but it was something like £80 and £50 for a battery but at work i have a snap on gun and will pretty much undo anything but was around the £500 price for the gun and battery, so price def makes a difference, some of my workmates have the miwakee gun and that is def more powerful but its at the same price as the snap on gun, i bet that cheap 1 will be in the same category as the ryobi 1 and will work for the weekend mechanic

My main impact wrenches are air powered, as anything I use them for tends to get done in my garage. I do however have a little (3/8" drive) Sealey battery powered gun. This just tends to get used as a nut runner as it's light and easy to access tight areas though lacking in power for anything tight.

If I were going to get a battery one for regular use then in would have to be something like a Milwaukee. I know that they're not cheap but there's a reason that most professionals tend to go for them and you won't need to hand break bolts with one of these.

Same opinion for the Ryobi, there are 2 types I've the R181W3 (supposedly the better type). 400Nm not a chance.
As others I crack with a good bar and then spin out with the Ryobi.

to put back I spin in with the Ryobi set on 2nd setting. That then needs the torque wrench to finish.

Put it towards something decent. I have the Dewalt DCF899N. It's a beast, so not great with accessing tight spots, but can be useful under a car when no room to get a breaker in.
I have this one, yes it is heavy but it is extremely powerful, has variable speed and excellent build quality and battery life.

Right. Thanks to everyone for your most helpful replies.. Based on these I've decided not to waste money on a cheap one, and because I 'want' rather than 'need' one I shall do without as two hundred quid is better spent in a golf shop ;)

Right. Thanks to everyone for your most helpful replies.. Based on these I've decided not to waste money on a cheap one, and because I 'want' rather than 'need' one I shall do without as two hundred quid is better spent in a golf shop ;)

Are you sure .... are you really sure?

Do you need more than one stick?

I bought a cheapie Chinese one of these for circa £25. The reason for buying this particular one was that it ran off of Makita 18 Volt lxt batteries, and I have a Makita cordless drill that uses these batteries.
In use, really tight bolts need a breaker bar to crack them, but then the Impact gun is very useful in spinning off wheel nuts etc.
I also have an Angle Grinder that was of a similar price, and again runs off of Makita 18 volt batteries. The Angle grinder, used with a brush on it has been my favourite tool for some time now, for cleaning up the rust off of used tools.
I keep looking at the battery powered ratchets, but the cheapie ones of these do not seem to be very well made, and I can not find one that uses the 18 volt Makita batteries.

Steve.

I bought a cheapie Chinese one of these for circa £25. The reason for buying this particular one was that it ran off of Makita 18 Volt lxt batteries, and I have a Makita cordless drill that uses these batteries.
In use, really tight bolts need a breaker bar to crack them, but then the Impact gun is very useful in spinning off wheel nuts etc.
I also have an Angle Grinder that was of a similar price, and again runs off of Makita 18 volt batteries. The Angle grinder, used with a brush on it has been my favourite tool for some time now, for cleaning up the rust off of used tools.
I keep looking at the battery powered ratchets, but the cheapie ones of these do not seem to be very well made, and I can not find one that uses the 18 volt Makita batteries.

Steve.
You can get adaptor plates which allow batteries in different tools, I Have a ryobi angle drill and my ryobi batteries died years ago. Bought a ryobi to makita adaptor so I can now use the ryobi with makita batteries

I have a makita DTW285, bought after doing a but of research. Most use it gets is for altering scaffolding and it's the ideal tool for that.
Also works on wheel nuts though.

Last edited:
Just asked my daughter’s fiancé as he is mechanic who started his journey as a tyre fitter.

His weapon of choice is a 1/2 inch 20v Ingersoll Rand gun

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom