Correct tyre Load Capacity?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tolley

Car
C200 AMG Line Auto
How do you tell the correct tyre Load Capacity for a specific car configuration.

I have an 18 month old C200 AMG line and being curious as to the price of new tyres for it (not needed yet) I looked up the car on www.blackcircles.com it suggested that on the rear axle Y93 (650KG) or Y97 (730KG) could be correct. Any how, you may have guessed it; there is one of each fitted n the rear axle? (the front tyres are a matching pair of a size recognised by blackcircles so I am not concerned about those) which does not sound right to me… How can I find out what tyres should have been on the car when it left the factory?

Cheers.

How do you tell the correct tyre Load Capacity for a specific car configuration.

I have an 18 month old C200 AMG line and being curious as to the price of new tyres for it (not needed yet) I looked up the car on www.blackcircles.com it suggested that on the rear axle Y93 (650KG) or Y97 (730KG) could be correct. Any how, you may have guessed it; there is one of each fitted n the rear axle? (the front tyres are a matching pair of a size recognised by blackcircles so I am not concerned about those) which does not sound right to me… How can I find out what tyres should have been on the car when it left the factory?

Cheers.
Does the car come with a handbook, printed or electronic?

It has a printed handbook that covers all of the car model permutations available. Unfortunately it doesn't list the tyre permutations or provide any correlation between tyres and car models.

Is it not noted on the label on the driver's door pillar or the fuel filler flap?

If not go with the GVWR and correlate with the tyre load index

I will take a look at the b-pillar/fuel filler labels in daylight. Not sure that the GVWR will help as I do not know the front/rear weight distribution or if the dynamics of a vehicle mean you have to factor either the front or rear actual weight to understand the load on the tyres. The sum of the four tyres with 93Ys on the rear would be 2,680KG, whereas with 97Ys on the rear the sum would be 2,840KG; my recollection is that the car weighs less than 2,000KGs so, again,not sure of the correlation? Good suggestions though :), thanks.

Even the 93's have load capacity to spare. I would avoid using higher load rating than necessary as the stronger construction of the tyres will stiffen the ride.

Thanks 190, however the challenge is understanding what is 'necessary'....

If an example is helpful my W204 has a GVW of 1980 Kg and the correct tyre load rating is 89 or 580 Kg per tyre which gives a total of 2320Kg

The GVW for a W205 isn't going to be much different so it's hard to see how the 97's could be necessary or even the 93's for that matter.

The manual in the Guides app shows me all the tyre and wheel combinations with load ratings. Might be worth downloading yours.

You don't say what size wheels you have fitted.
Mine has factory fitted 19" with runflats, and they are 255 - 35 - 96Y.
So it may be no use to you, but hope it helps.

Try a VIN decoder site, when I checked mine it included the tyres in the build info.

...Mine has factory fitted 19" with runflats, and they are 255 - 35 - 96Y.

If the OP's car has run flats I think you may have just highlighted why his car (and yours) has higher load rated tyres than would seem necessary for the GVW.

Perhaps the inherent stiffness of run flats means they come with a higher load rating whether you need it or not.

If the OP's car has run flats I think you may have just highlighted why his car (and yours) has higher load rated tyres than would seem necessary for the GVW.

Perhaps the inherent stiffness of run flats means they come with a higher load rating whether you need it or not.

I thought the higher load rating was because it's an estate and not a saloon or coupe, capable of holding more luggage and nothing to do with runflats?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom