• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

creaking noise when breaking and turning left at slow speed

Murff

Car
W211 E280 CDI Avantgarde
Yesterday I noticed this noise as I break and turn left into corners, also sometime when breaking heavily in a straight line coming from the front passenger side suspension area. Took it to the nearest garage which was a National (not the best I know). The guy got it up on the ramp, there was no play in the bearing or suspension so appeared struturally sound. He thinks however it could be any one of the many bushes fitted over the suspension. Theres about 10 I think.
I really can't afford to pay someone to do it at the moment. I think the labour costs would be more than the part trying to track down which bush it is as we couldn't re-create the noise while the car is stationary.
Would greasing all the bushes help at all? If so which type of grease?
Any help would be greatly apppreciated as always :dk:

I had this on an old C class and it turned out to be the lower ball joints which seem to dry out over time, fairly easy job to replace IIRC and not too costly. Have to admit that I greased all the bushes and antiroll bar mounts all of which seemed to have worked for a couple of days!

did the lower ball joints show signs of play when on the ramp? Also what type of grease would you recommend? Thanks

No play at all in the joints and I don't think that you can regrease them, I used some sort of spray on grease on all the other rubber bushings, but as I say it did not do any good.

Get a lubricant with a straw & a small spike, pierce a small hole in ball joint boot & push straw in to spray lube into the ball joint. If noise goes you replace it.
You don't have to have play in the ball joint for it to be noisey

Turns out it was the shock absorber

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom