Crunching into reverse, 5 Sp man w124

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

isobars

Car
300SD'79, E300TD '95, 300TDT '82, 280CE '84, 250L '84, 300SEL LPG '91, 300D '80, 300CE '91, 300E '89
I just want to bump this part of an old post which DRUK kindly helped me with in case the diagnosis will change given the update.
There's a horrible crunch getting into reverse, and it's now getting harder. It used to go in after another declutch, occasionally with a little complaint, but now it grates strongly. 717.430 box, five speed.
A quick update, I pushed - stood-up - on the clutch pedal tonight after the continual movement of the cogs would not permit engagement of reverse, and lo and behold, the thing stopped grinding and it went in.

Anything I could adjust before going to an indy?

Many Thanks.

Cheers,

Paul

Either the clutch isn't fully disengaging, and/or the spigot bearing is dragging. If you stood on the clutch pedal and it then went into gear, the clutch isn't disengaging fully in normal use.

There are any number of reasons why it isn't fully disengaging, so it will need further investigation - unless anyone can point to a common issue.

Hi Phil,

Thanks.

It's had a recent clutch - 200 miles - and was like this in reverse prior to that.

Cheers,

Paul

Hi,

Forgot to mention, it goes in a treat, no problem when it's cold.

Cheers,

Paul

You could try bleeding it, but suspect the master or slave cylinder.

If it's possible to start your car in gear, turn the engine off before engaging reverse, until you can get it sorted.

Last edited:
Thanks, Richard.

I'll do that.

So if it's only a problem when hot, does that suggest the oil is too thin or too little, and does that in turn suggest a leak? Nothing on the floor, I must say.
I'll have a closer look.

Cheers,

Paul

Everything expands a little when warm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom